Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 3:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The first person to live to [200, 300, 500, 1000] has already been born"
RE: "The first person to live to [200, 300, 500, 1000] has already been born"
If we never die, it's just a matter of time.  Sure, we could increase production beyond what we see today - this also has limits. Im shutting down our would-be despot over there, not the idea. I think the idea is just an idea, not feasible unless we change a wide range of things..some of which we have no expectation of being -able- to change. Not desirable -to me- even if we did figure out that laundry list of issues.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Of course I agree with everything Amine says. I'm just entertaining this other guy so I can help him see things more clearly.
It's difficult to see your promised land over the mound of corpses you'd pile up in order to reach it.  Ironic, considering the goal.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 14, 2015 at 4:27 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(December 14, 2015 at 1:31 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote: What is the alternative? You would rather let people die of old age when they have the cure to ageing or overpopulate the planet so that them or others starve just so they can make some babies who would have to go under that exact same process?

When you talk about those things, think about the context you're talking about them in.

Yes, I would rather just let it be as nature intended. Die of old age and make room for new life.

You do realise we are nature as well, right? So anything we do, is nature's doing.
(December 14, 2015 at 4:54 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Amine, you seem to be getting into slippery slope territory.

Just because I think eventually dying and making room for new life is crucial and essential to the natural order of our world, doesn't mean I think that refraining from wearing glasses is.

That's what your principle is. You are advocating the principle of "letting nature do its job". Once you wear glasses, you don't get to use that principle anymore. You've told nature you know better. As you should, because you do.

Also, what you are saying, again, is tantamount to being suicidal. Take that for what it's worth. If you are going to die and you refuse a treatment that would easily cure you, that's committing suicide.

This happens to be a reason why I think it matters if people believe in an afterlife or not. Bad philosophy can literally kill you.

(December 14, 2015 at 5:00 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I'm curious, Amine, and sorry if you've addressed this already. But I wanted to know how you think this immortality thing would be implemented? Would everyone have access to this treatment or would it be tightly controlled by the government and only given to few special people somehow? If not, should it be covered by health care so that everyone could get it? Would people still be allowed to have kids? If so, how would we solve the problem of more people coming, without anyone leaving?

I wrote an essay about it that addresses most of those questions here: https://deanamine.wordpress.com/2015/10/...evity-day/

Briefly, though:

I think it would happen gradually, probably. It's not as if one day a pill will come out and that will be that. As with all technologies, the wealthiest people might get first access, but it will drop in cost and improve in performance, eventually to the point of being seen as a universal right.

I don't know if people would still be allowed to have kids. My guess is there might be some reasonable limitation, but we have to take into account how the carrying capacity of the world increases as our technology becomes more efficient. As I said above, 1000 years ago it would have been ludicrous for 7 billion people to inhabit this planet. The tech wasn't even close. We can point to a large number of revolutions on the horizon that will increase the sustainability of our civilization. I can be more specific if you want.
(December 14, 2015 at 5:09 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote: If you care so much about unborn people, btw, you should stop whatever you're doing, buy a sex slave from the Deep Web and make kids until you die or your dick falls of.

LOL, I missed this one.  No need.  I already have 5, which is plenty for me.  Be honest withya, if my dick fell off because of it I'd like my kids a whole lot less...thankfully, it remains attached.   

Come to think of it, it's surprising that it didn't..given the questionable places I've put it. Maybe it's immortal?
(December 14, 2015 at 5:16 pm)Rhythm Wrote: It's difficult to see your promised land over the mound of corpses you'd pile up in order to reach it.  Ironic, considering the goal.

Ok, let's make this simpler for you.

Imagine you're stranded on an island with two other people. One of them is dying. There's no food but you know for sure that a helicopter is coming right after all of you will die from starvation. There's medication for Steve, but only you and Andrew know about it. There's also a knife, wood and a matchbox.

What do you do in that scenario?
Thanks for the answers, Amine.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 14, 2015 at 5:11 pm)Rhythm Wrote: If we never die, it's just a matter of time.  Sure, we could increase production beyond what we see today - this also has limits.  Im shutting down our would-be despot over there, not the idea.  I think the idea is just an idea, not feasible unless we change a wide range of things..some of which we have no expectation of being -able- to change.  Not desirable -to me- even if we did figure out that laundry list of issues.

It's just a matter of time? What does that mean, like a million years? A billion? This is vague, and fatalistic. It's "a matter of time" particularly if we don't develop this technology. Why bother with anything at all? We all die in the end, right?
Simpler for me, or simpler for you..let's be honest with ourselves at least, hmn.

We give Steve there the meds (Steves the one dying...right?) in the short term, and I kiss my ass goodbye in the long term? I suppose that if you're Andrew I'll need the knife to make sure you don't withhold his meds or eat him. Guess that leaves the wood to chew on while Steve and I wait. Could probably use it for a shovel, or your funeral pyre...give you the dignity in death you missed in life.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the consciousness of a new born baby Macoleco 8 855 April 7, 2022 at 7:22 am
Last Post: brewer
  Live stream from 2000m depth - now - Alex K 15 2036 March 12, 2016 at 2:26 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Halucigenia Worm of 500 MYA Had Circular Mouth Secular Elf 3 1259 June 29, 2015 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Churches oppose three-person baby plan zebo-the-fat 36 6981 February 3, 2015 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Half Sheep half Goat born in Ireland downbeatplumb 11 2249 April 5, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are you born with your personality? Clueless Morgan 18 4493 March 18, 2014 at 10:55 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  We've been using tools longer than we thought... Creed of Heresy 6 2890 December 18, 2013 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Next-Gen Test Tube Baby Born pineapplebunnybounce 4 2419 July 12, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
Smile World’s First GM Babies Born Big Blue Sky 12 3749 June 28, 2013 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
Lightbulb Monsanto Has Been Removed And Banned By: Big Blue Sky 40 9843 June 26, 2013 at 11:46 am
Last Post: HAL9000