Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 1:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those who want proof of the exodus
RE: For those who want proof of the exodus
(January 12, 2016 at 4:52 pm)Rhythm Wrote: A literalist reading of genesis, for example, is required for the christian narrative.

Yeah but which one? Genesis has two mutually exclusive creation stories. You can have either fiat lux or garden of eden or neither (the only option supported by evidence) but not both. It's hard to write a book that contradicts itself with its first point, but the bible makes it look effortless.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
At 49 pages, I only read the OP.  In any case, I wanted to add my "2 cents" and that is that almost no scholars (save for a few cranks) believe that the Pentateuch was written by a single author:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_hypothesis
A summary of the supposed proof of the OP's message can be easily surmised with one single word:

Subjectivity.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
"Fantasy" might even work better.
(January 13, 2016 at 9:57 am)Drich Wrote:
(January 12, 2016 at 5:01 pm)Heat Wrote: You never responded to me:
What is their to respond to? You've correctly identified what is being said here. "What the problem is?"
So are you condoning the brutal slavery within the bible? How can you preach exodus's accuracy as this god inspired book, while admitting that in the section of it you so specifically addressed is morally flawed to a high degree? Why is this acceptable to admit that an omniscient god would allow slavery that we clearly know is immoral, in his one holy book? Unless you are condoning slavery in general, if that's the case then there's no hope.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
He does condone slavery, unless he's changed his mind on that. He appears to condone any act of evil as long as it's God endorsed. It's disgusting, but at least it's consistent.

It shows what religion can do to someone. I would sincerely hope he wouldn't come to these conclusions without it.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Oooo a noob!!!

(January 14, 2016 at 12:44 am)Heat Wrote:
(January 13, 2016 at 9:57 am)Drich Wrote: What is their to respond to? You've correctly identified what is being said here. "What the problem is?"
So are you condoning the brutal slavery within the bible?
Yes
Quote: How can you preach exodus's accuracy as this god inspired book, while admitting that in the section of it you so specifically addressed is morally flawed to a high degree?
Because Man's current incarnation of what is and is not 'moral' has no bearing on God's righteousness.

Quote: Why is this acceptable to admit that an omniscient god would allow slavery that we clearly know is immoral, in his one holy book?
Because again man's morality is not the rule we use to measure or judge God.
In short our actions have no intrinsic 'moral value' in of themselves before God. slavery, murder, lying, giving to the poor, saving a life are all meaningless acts until God assigns a value to them. (That is why God can order all of these things and it not be 'wrong' for Him to do so.) Subsequently That is what makes right, right and wrong, wrong. If God gives permission, then it is considered to be an acceptable behavior. despite what man says one way or another.

You are confusing popular morality with God's righteousness. They are not the same standard. For instance Homosexuality is a sexual sin like any other sexual sin according to God's righteousness. However pop morality identifies it as being a permissible act in today's pop culture. Just because this generation has accepted this fad, does not mean God's standard changes. The same is true with slavery. You attempt at offense only shows how far your 'morality' has removed you from true righteousness.

Quote: Unless you are condoning slavery in general, if that's the case then there's no hope.
Actually there's always obi wan..

Plus there is the fact that your whole life, livelihood and ability to live in a community of any kind who is not completely self sustaining, means YOU are currently dependent on modern day slavery, so from your high horse you may indeed see no hope, but from where I stand I only see a hypocrite on a really tall self-righteous horse he himself has built.
Because you don't seem to acknowledge that just because you relabeled a slave, a migrant worker/agricultural worker or a day laborer or because you want to look the otherway when buying the cheapest biggest 4D HDTV or car, or electronic device all for the sake of the best deal.. rather than looking at products whos company pays a living wage and does not outsource to a country who has no labor laws or living standards makes you the Very Reason God put a standard on slavery.

The problem with self righteous people such as yourself is that when the word slave is used you only think of a black man in a field wearing rags picking cotton. The definition of slavery goes well beyond chattel slavery. (whether you know it or not that is what you are talking about when you say 'slave.') And wouldn't you know their are still examples of this going on today that 'we' still all benefit from!
http://www.wilderutopia.com/internationa...e-slavery/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio...s/2919687/

Google it. this 'problem' is still alive and well in the beef,pork, and poultry industries, and well as produce even in this country! Not to mention all of those who in places like china and India and even Mexico are all bit title owned by the Big manufacturing companies or their out source companies who supplies them parts for their products we all line up to buy.

So no. I do not have a problem with slavery as we all are shackled to one degree or another to society. what I do have a problem with is with people who pretend slavery is all but over, and ignore modern slaves/chattel just so they can feel morally superior. rather than accept that everyone has a role in society and we must regulate (as God did) those who own slaves that make the foundations of our world economy possible. We owe them this, and pretending they do not exist means they live and work under companies without any oversight or rules concerning their well being.

What God did in the OT was to put limits on what a owner could do and make the owers responsible for their slaves. What society has done is pretend that only black people in the southern states of the US could be considered slaves, which means once that stopped, self-righteous people all over could pat themselves on the back and bock at God for allowing slaves. This however allows the rest of the world to go on business as usual but now unchecked because one war fought 140 years ago on US soil supposedly freed the world's population of slaves... Dodgy

Wake up
(January 14, 2016 at 8:22 am)robvalue Wrote: He does condone slavery, unless he's changed his mind on that. He appears to condone any act of evil as long as it's God endorsed. It's disgusting, but at least it's consistent.

It shows what religion can do to someone. I would sincerely hope he wouldn't come to these conclusions without it.

We as a society condone slavery dummy!

You all just have to call it something else so it can be accepted.

The only difference between you and me is I am willing to call a slave a slave rather than a migrant worker, and I demand that because we work these people as slaves we should at least treat them with respect enough to ensure that have the protection God Demanded the Jews to give, if not more!
Is that what you need to feel comfortable with yourself?  The fantasy that everyone condones the terrible shit that you do? I pay migrant labor more than you make flipping burgers.

De-nied.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 14, 2016 at 11:04 am)Rhythm Wrote: Is that what you need to feel comfortable with yourself?  The fantasy that everyone condones the terrible shit that you do?  I pay migrant labor more than you make flipping burgers.  

De-nied.

you don't pay by the field?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 7221 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  didnt want to necropost: what completing the law means. Drich 18 1378 May 12, 2020 at 10:51 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Serious] What would you want in a church tackattack 44 3991 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Just Look at all Those Fulfilled Prophecies! YahwehIsTheWay 37 5924 December 6, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Exodus 21 Bahana 69 6836 November 9, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Those Theists Willie23 50 5559 May 21, 2018 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists - I want to know what you think LadyForCamus 77 10692 May 14, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2921 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Reason why aliens coming here will want to kill us Fake Messiah 20 6279 October 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? Fake Messiah 52 19482 June 28, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Astonished