Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 6:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pop morality
RE: pop morality
(February 3, 2016 at 3:15 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(February 2, 2016 at 11:08 am)Drich Wrote: Two things one it's not a word game. It's a completely different paradigm of obtaining the righteous required to enter heaven. Morality is based on works and behavior. Unless you are an OT Jew this method of seeking righteousness does not apply.

second thing what is 'magic' about a debt you owe being paid by someone else?

Ever had a parent? or were you paying your own way since birth?

So you're making an argument for the morality of a system that is not a moral system.  You just blew it, pal.

Congratulations on showing us the emptiness of your word game.  No, it's not a morality at all, which is why you're trying to argue that it is a moral way to behave.  Gotcha.

please explain what you mean.
(February 3, 2016 at 4:13 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(February 2, 2016 at 1:30 pm)Drich Wrote: target lock again... You were sooooooooooooo busy being right about empathy you lost sight of where the thread went.

The point of the thread is two fold. One show the contrast between God's absolutes and mans morality (ALL Morality even religious morality) Allowing me to explain why morality is not a standard to be used to judge right and wrong/Is not what God is looking for in us or from us. And why you 'good people' should not rely on it to define your 'righteousness.'

And Two, to point to an existence lived through atonement. which is what God wanted for all of us. To set us apart from rules and law to define our righteousness. to explain a life lived in righteousness is the real freedom you all pretend to have living good 'moral' lives without God.

God only uses His law to judge those who have not accepted the atonement offered by Christ. In biblical Christianity it is explain several times that we (Christians) are not defined or judged by our morality, but by our obedience to accept the atonement offered. Those who do not accept Christ's gift are however judged by their 'morality' and like the Pharisees will be found wanting.

Christ took THE most holy and religious group apart by their seams using their own hypocrisy and morality as His guidelines. Just like how I show you the 'relabeling' of nazi like persecution in modern society Christ took the 'morals' of the pharisees and showed them their own double standard and judged them by their own rules... So too will the 'moral' be judged.

So in other words...you can be a shitty fucking person your whole life, be completely self serving and treat people like garbage, but as long as you accept Christ as your savior you get a free pass.  :: eye roll::  Do you understand how morally bankrupt and utterly ridiculous that is?

You're right, you shit stains - whoops - I mean Christians really ARE morally superior to atheists aren't you?  

Again back to my prison metaphore...

If I were the warden of a prison wouldn't the inmates assume i was a shitty person, and if i served my whole life as that warden the inmates could say i was shitty my whole life... By that standard their is no doubt I was judged a shitty person my whole life...

Do you not see an issue with that judgement though?

If no then know your right.
(February 3, 2016 at 4:25 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(February 2, 2016 at 6:07 pm)Drich Wrote: What are you talking about? their is only one pretext in which sex is permitted.
That's in a sanctified marriage. "That there shall be no harlot (in Israel); that is, that there shall be no intercourse with a woman, without previous marriage with a deed of marriage and formal declaration of marriage (Deut. 23:18) "

Again "thou shall not rape" is not needed when "thou shal not have sex unless your married has been established."

what are you talking about? Their is, one had to marry and care for this woman for the rest of his life. No divorce. and their was a fine of 1 years gross wages of silver for skilled labor. pretty hefty fine... So what happens when he could pay? Dude became the Family's slave. How do you think the son in law was treated? do you think that maybe the rules for beating a slave was pushed in those first few weeks?

Beside I'm sure far more raped women in OT times got a far stronger sense of justice than some sterile prison sentence.

Are you kidding me?!  You are punishing a RAPE VICTIM by forcing her to live with her rapist, and essentially treating her as property.  I hope to Christ you are not a female, Drich.  This is one really disgusting display  of religious apologetics.  Yeah, I'm sure the women who are sharing a roof with the men who sexually assaulted them (and who continue to live as free men) feel more satisfied than the women who's rapists are locked up for life.  

You're a little sicko, SPORT.
Ah.. no So sorry sport-ress keep reading/go back and reread my last post to the virus guy.. I broke it all down for him.
pop morality
(February 4, 2016 at 1:26 pm)Drich Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 4:25 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:  

Are you kidding me?!  You are punishing a RAPE VICTIM by forcing her to live with her rapist, and essentially treating her as property.  I hope to Christ you are not a female, Drich.  This is one really disgusting display  of religious apologetics.  Yeah, I'm sure the women who are sharing a roof with the men who sexually assaulted them (and who continue to live as free men) feel more satisfied than the women who's rapists are locked up for life.  

You're a little sicko, SPORT.
Ah.. no So sorry sport-ress keep reading/go back and reread my last post to the virus guy.. I broke it all down for him.

Yeah, I saw where you LIED, sport.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(February 3, 2016 at 8:42 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(January 27, 2016 at 11:45 am)Drich Wrote: Without any absolute standards, what makes any of you think that your current acceptance of pop morality as being 'the good and right thing' makes you any different than those who have accepted the pop morality of their time and or culture? Meaning if you have no absolutes standards in your life (like the bible,) and if you were born into Hitler's Germany, under North Korean rule or maybe under an ISIS state, and just like you do now, you blindly follow and do not challenge pop morality of your culture, how then would you find your way back to what you now consider to be 'moral'?

And since you just openly admitted that god's word has nothing to do with moral standards (which is obvious given the atrocities sanctioned by him in the bible), and everything to do with atonement and accepting Jesus, how the hell would YOU, sport?
calm down and maybe retype this again.. you seem to be missing a few words/key ideas.
pop morality
(February 4, 2016 at 1:24 pm)Drich Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 4:13 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: So in other words...you can be a shitty fucking person your whole life, be completely self serving and treat people like garbage, but as long as you accept Christ as your savior you get a free pass.  :: eye roll::  Do you understand how morally bankrupt and utterly ridiculous that is?

You're right, you shit stains - whoops - I mean Christians really ARE morally superior to atheists aren't you?  

Again back to my prison metaphore...

If I were the warden of a prison wouldn't the inmates assume i was a shitty person, and if i served my whole life as that warden the inmates could say i was shitty my whole life... By that standard their is no doubt I was judged a shitty person my whole life...

Do you not see an issue with that judgement though?

If no then know your right.

What?! Why would the prisoners assume the warden is a bad person? What are you talking about? Analogy FAIL.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

pop morality
(February 4, 2016 at 1:28 pm)Drich Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 8:42 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: And since you just openly admitted that god's word has nothing to do with moral standards (which is obvious given the atrocities sanctioned by him in the bible), and everything to do with atonement and accepting Jesus, how the hell would YOU, sport?
calm down and maybe retype this again.. you seem to be missing a few words/key ideas.

I am posing your own question back to you. Care to take a shot at answering it?

(February 4, 2016 at 11:43 am)Thena323 Wrote:
(February 4, 2016 at 9:44 am)Drich Wrote: where does the bible approave of raping babies again? Book chapter and verse please.

Would it even bother you if it is in there? All morality is shit, isn't it? 
ATONEMENT is what matters...nothing else.

Why sweat it?

where did i say nothing else matters?

I said your morality is not an absolute, its a variable. God is an absolute not a variable. The problem being you can not judge an absolute against a changing variable.
(February 4, 2016 at 1:19 pm)Drich Wrote:
(February 2, 2016 at 10:20 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: If Gods morality is so awesome shouldn't it be the most popular? It just strikes me that *perfect* morality created by a *perfect* being would be so clearly head and shoulders above the rest that nobody would want to follow any other. It would be inescapably clear to even the most dense of people.
I should feel a sense of elation when I think of the contents of the Bible. I don't. I feel a combination of amusement and disgust.
Why is that?

Also I'm not sure if I'm completely qualified to comment on the morality of society but I was under the impression that rape, torture and murder were the most immoral things you could do. Did I miss a meeting?

The simple answer is self righteousness.
Meaning a righteousness not from God but derived and supported by the individual or society.

If man does not have to define himself by an absolute/prefect standard then he can do as he wishes and justify his own actions and still be found righteous in his own eyes/eyes of peers.

That way he does not have to bow to God.

It's not about what is best. it is about what is best for me/you.

There has been much debate among the faithful over what Gods standard *is*. You yourself have explained numerous times that you believe your interpretation of that standard to be the most accurate. That the majority of self-proclaimed believers all over the world simply have the wrong idea and either have misinterpreted or have not studied The Bible in the correct translation. From that perspective their crime is not lack of faith but lack of knowledge or insight. There are plenty of people making every effort to bow but you have repeatedly argued in the past that you are one of the few bowing in the correct way.
Is this how a perfect being communicates something it thinks important? It would seem less than effective.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(February 4, 2016 at 1:40 pm)Drich Wrote:
(February 4, 2016 at 11:43 am)Thena323 Wrote: Would it even bother you if it is in there? All morality is shit, isn't it? 
ATONEMENT is what matters...nothing else.

Why sweat it?

where did i say nothing else matters?

I said your morality is not an absolute, its a variable. God is an absolute not a variable. The problem being you can not judge an absolute against a changing variable.

So what difference does "god" make if morals are not set?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2971 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  Christian morality delusions tackattack 87 9524 November 27, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question to Theists About the Source of Morality GrandizerII 33 7823 January 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  C.S. Lewis and the Argument From Morality Jenny A 15 6299 August 3, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  The questionable morality of Christianity (and Islam, for that matter) rado84 35 7615 July 21, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Stereotyping and morality Dontsaygoodnight 34 8344 March 20, 2015 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  You CAN game Christian morality RobbyPants 82 18123 March 12, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Challenge regarding Christian morality robvalue 170 37037 February 16, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Tonus
  The Prisoner's Dilemma and Objective/Subjective Morality RobbyPants 9 4290 December 17, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Atheist Morality vs Biblical Morality dyresand 46 13912 November 8, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: genkaus