Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 10:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A good reason not to believe in God
RE: A good reason not to believe in God
(February 26, 2011 at 5:21 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Rot. The bible also quotes God as saying "I am" ...or he 'just is'. God is throughout time, as well as outside time... its perfectly consistent.

Problem with all of that.... God isn't a 'being', and is never proposed to be that in our (mainstream Christian') theology.
Frods it feels like you're in a few knots here. The 2 statements above clearly contradict each other. If god exists and descibes himself as "I", then he is at least a mind (and I would argue a physical brain as well) but also a being capable of thought and action.

This is the first time I have heard god described as not a being. Despite being inconsistent with everything I have ever understood about christianity and I admit it could be my error. What was Jesus who clearly was a being? What is god?

"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
So I suppose you dismiss Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking too then rev. Sounds like you just don't like to think much.
(February 27, 2011 at 2:57 am)Captain Scarlet Wrote: Frods it feels like you're in a few knots here. The 2 statements above clearly contradict each other. If god exists and descibes himself as "I", then he is at least a mind (and I would argue a physical brain as well) but also a being capable of thought and action.
The statement only conflict if not describing the Christian God.

(February 27, 2011 at 2:57 am)Captain Scarlet Wrote: This is the first time I have heard god described as not a being. Despite being inconsistent with everything I have ever understood about christianity and I admit it could be my error. What was Jesus who clearly was a being? What is god?
Jesus was 100% God and 100% man. He is no longer.
DvF Wrote:My point is that the terms "before" and "after" are temporal terms. So it makes no sense to say that anything exists "before" or "after" time since that equates to saying "the time before time" or "the time after time". It equates to nonsense.

(February 26, 2011 at 5:21 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: For us as temporal beings, no.

No fr0d0, sorry. But this isn't just a matter of whether something is comprehensible for "us temporal beings" or not. This is also a matter of logic. And, sorry, but some things just don't make logical sense or are logically impossible.

"The time before time" is a contradiction and a confusion because we're still actually talking about time so it isn't atemporality we are actually addressing, hence "the time" before time.

(February 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm)DoubtVsFaith Wrote: We can't do anything if we are atemporal. To do something requires at least two moments, it requires time.
fr0d0 Wrote:Do something temporal, yes.

If you're addressing a sort of doing that doesn't involve more than one moment then in what sense is that 'doing' that you are addressing?

As I have already said, an atemporal being would be a being that can never exist. It makes no sense to say that it can ever exist when 'ever' is a temporal term. It makes no sense to say anything is "before" or "after" time when "before" and "after" are temporal terms. Atemporality makes no sense. It is nonsense.
(February 27, 2011 at 2:59 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Jesus was 100% God and 100% man. He is no longer.

I'm sure you are aware that that makes 200% arent ya.

Or are you arguing that god and man are the same thing?

But that cant be right because god exists as an 'atemporal entity' according to you. I am certainly temporal and am a very manly man.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Atemporality can't be comprehended by us mere mortals because it makes no sense. What's the point in believing in a concept that we can't even conceptualize properly because it's full of confusion and contradiction?
The logical contradiction is your own DvF. Not constrained by time does not mean "time before time" ...as you correctly disprove to yourself.

The glass of milk is 100% milk and 100% liquid - does that make 200% too DBP?
I used "the time before time" as an example, you responded to that and seemed to disagree. Then I explained further.

I was talking about how it makes no sense to talk of "before" or "after" time since then we're still talking time. Then we're still talking temporality, we're not actually addressing atemporality.
(February 26, 2011 at 5:21 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Rot. The bible also quotes God as saying "I am" ...or he 'just is'. God is throughout time, as well as outside time... its perfectly consistent.
Problem with all of that.... God isn't a 'being', and is never proposed to be that in our (mainstream Christian') theology.

Yeah..I can see where it is *perfectly* consistent that someone can say "I am" yet is not a being. That he is throughout time as well as outside of time.

Is he also dry water? Is he a non blowing wind? Is he a black white? How about a left right? Does he live in a timeless time on a landless land?

(February 27, 2011 at 2:11 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: The glass of milk is 100% milk and 100% liquid - does that make 200% too DBP?
Thats a really poor analogy as one is a condition of matter the other a type of liquid. You are asserting quite a different thing.

It is a stupendous logical contradiction to assert that Jesus was 100% human and 100% a god. Just one obvious example. A man is mortal, a god is supposed to be immortal. Jesus cannot have been an immortal, mortal; clearly milk can be a liquid and milk at the same time.

Note here you cannot resort to the....ah but Jesus was 100% in his man like nature and 100% in his god like nature, without explaining what that means. If it boils down to a human shell and an immaterial god like soul, then clearly not only have you the burden of proof as to whether souls exist but even if you can demonstrate that, Jesus was obviosuly not 100% man; nor 100% god. You need to expalin exactly what the god you believe in is, apprently it is not a being. But until then the arguments are without merit.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
Equally Scarlet, you cannot say my point is illogical until you understand it. And as we're talking about something in the public domain: Christianity, you have every possibility to go check the facts for yourself.

I'm not asserting a different thing at all. That's my point. Milk is to liquid is as God is to man. We're talking differing descriptors. God isn't only physical and Jesus only God like. Jesus is dead and Jesus is alive. Jesus the man died, and Jesus who is God is alive forever.

God's nature and man's nature are like the milk and liquid. Milk can be all milk and all liquid at the same time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can God be objectively good despite criticism against Him/Her/It? Ahriman 80 8766 May 29, 2022 at 11:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A question about Dawkins enemies of reason documentary Quill01 3 591 April 17, 2022 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  The reason religion is so powerful Macoleco 344 29072 June 30, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Reason Jesus must have been a real person mrj 74 11698 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or Snideon 17 2256 July 17, 2020 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1663 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  It's not religion..believe me. It's something else WinterHold 49 8184 November 15, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 9410 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 93004 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 7441 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama