Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 11:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Jesus exist at all?
RE: Did Jesus exist at all?
(May 9, 2016 at 10:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:
In my review, there's not enough evidence to be particularly certain which answer is most likely

Then it is time to undertake the What Is More Likely test.

Ask yourself, is it more likely that: 

A-

[Image: Christianity-makes-sense.jpg]

or

B-

[Image: 8bce00e2853c6e2114fa905d9e8feaba2ba1bc07...b337a5.jpg]

Facepalm While that is hilarious, the 3 answers I'm talking about are these:

1. Jesus might have been based on one real, mundane human.

2. Jesus might have been based on several mundane individuals.

3. Jesus might have been based on a pre-existing fictional god-character.

I know the magic answer isn't likely. I didn't think that was really what we were arguing over.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
There's also the possibility that the gospel authors made Jesus up. And there's the further possibility that they never intended him to be considered a real character at all.

Obviously, even if they did make him up, they incorporated a lot of details that they stole from previous mythologies.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Robv- that isn't how mythology works.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Not this again.  Yes, it is how mythology works.  Many times, over and over, collectively, we arrive at narratives not -at all- like news reports.  Some stories persist, many or even most do not.  Those surviving narratives are what we, say a thousand or so years later, might call a mythology (or more generously, in context - and incredibly on point, as the other representative genre of literature which the story -might- be able to qualify as; a collection of legends).  

The details and the plot do not simply manifested themselves upon thought, word, or page.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euhemerism...Christians

Quote:In his 2011 book, The Christ-Myth Theory and Its Problems, former Baptist pastor and double PhD in religious studies Robert M. Price supported the Christ myth theory when he wrote "the story of Jesus which we have, in every form, remains a redemption myth constructed along the lines of the universal mythic hero archetype, with no "secular," biographical material left over. When we are done dismantling the records and we begin ghoulishly picking through the scanty remains for clues to an underlying "historical Jesus," like people scavenging gold from the teeth and fingers of the battlefield dead, are we perhaps engaging in Euhemerism?"

So Price, and slightly later Richard Carrier, would buy into your #3.  One group had a hallucination that their boy came back from the dead and concocted a poorly-written biography for him to have been an actual person at a time conveniently outside of the memory of anyone living.  When they attained a measure of political power they denounced all the other groups as heretics and suppressed them.

Remember Price and Carrier when some asshole claims that "real scholars" buy their bullshit.
(May 10, 2016 at 8:31 am)Rhythm Wrote: Not this again.  Yes, it is how mythology works.  Many times, over and over, collectively, we arrive at narratives not -at all- like news reports.  Some stories persist, many or even most do not.  Those surviving narratives are what we, say a thousand or so years later, might call a mythology (or more generously, in context - and incredibly on point, as the other representative genre of literature which the story -might- be able to qualify as; a collection of legends).  

The details and the plot do not simply manifested themselves upon thought, word, or page.

No but they do get written down. They've been written down in Ancient Egypt, in Rome, in plenty of other ancient places. There are currently millions - not hundreds, not thousands, not tens of thousands - millions of individual Hindu deities with their own individual mythologies. Some of those would be written down as well and held by just single families. My point is that the Pentateuch is a clear-cut example of mythology, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better one. It also formed the basis of a religion, and that's what makes this specific mythology so interesting. Many of the concepts and beliefs written down in the Pentateuch and attributed to the Patriarchs have been directly associated with other beliefs in the region which were held from the 2nd millennia BC. So they didn't "just appear" on the pages of the Pentateuch - that's wrong. They appear several centuries beforehand in several different pre-existing cultures, which later assimilated their beliefs into what would have been the original version of the Pentateuch. The version we have now is greatly expanded upon using direct Judaic mythology - i.e. it's a feedback loop that fed into itself. I've pointed this out several times - nothing "just appears" from nowhere in the Pentateuch, much of it can and has been tracked. This doesn't mean that other books don't have a clear political agenda, just that the Pentateuch is not the production of vested interests and fiction writers.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(April 19, 2016 at 10:24 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(April 19, 2016 at 9:41 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: If you'd seen what I've seen you'd be wondering what sort of evil being, assuming one existed, would inflict such horrors on people, especially innocent children.

Of course, you'd justify it by claiming it's our own fault: "free will" and all that crap, but, if Mental Gymnastics was an Olympic event, the apologists would win a platinum medal.

Sin is responsible for the down fall of the creation and man is responsible for sin, so yes, it's our fault.

GC

Yep. It's our fault that a perfect being was unable to create perfect creations. [Image: free-rolleye-smileys-323.gif]

Same shit, different day but he thinks he's gonna get different results.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I noticed a lot of Atheists type talk about "poop" as something being fake. Let me just point out that poop is used as fertilizer to allow plants to grow.

Manure contribute to the fertility of the soil by adding organic matter and nutrients, such as nitrogen, that are trapped by bacteria in the soil. Higher organisms then feed on the fungi and bacteria in a chain of life that comprises the soil food web. It is also a product obtained after decomposition of organic matter like cow dung which replenishes the soil with essential elements and add humus to the soil. In a sense poop is essential to plants and many animals.

I believe Aractus has a lot of accuracy in his beliefs, However -> "They appear several centuries beforehand in several different pre-existing cultures" How could someone in far East Asia believe in a God so similar to one in Egypt? These narratives must have formed from profound insights. I want to point out that the similarities between Jesus & Moses & Thoth & Ishtar can amaze someone when they study the similarities in great detail.
(April 29, 2016 at 1:01 pm)robvalue Wrote: Jesus exists because:

1) It's written down in a book
2) There are obscure references in highly suspicious later documents
3) Anyone who disagrees isn't a real historian
4) We shouldn't expect there to be any proper evidence
5) Other historical figures exist

Well, shit. Now you've done it Rob. I'm convinced.

So, which one of the 40,000+ sects is the One True Religion so I can give all my shit to their shelter and cut them a check for one tenth of my money?
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(May 10, 2016 at 10:22 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote:
(April 29, 2016 at 1:01 pm)robvalue Wrote: Jesus exists because:

1) It's written down in a book
2) There are obscure references in highly suspicious later documents
3) Anyone who disagrees isn't a real historian
4) We shouldn't expect there to be any proper evidence
5) Other historical figures exist

Well, shit. Now you've done it Rob. I'm convinced.

So, which one of the 40,000+ sects is the One True Religion so I can give all my shit to their shelter and cut them a check for one tenth of my money?

When you think as if there is "One true Religion" & the rest are wrong you may be limiting yourself. You generally can find the answers by looking at the similarities between the religions.

If you are going to give to the poor give it to the people that REALLY NEED IT. How could giving to a major corporate founded charity help? The Bible may not be 100% accurate at face value but there is a lot of truth in it. If you see someone really suffering and you know they need money not for drugs or partying but because they come from nothing and are starving - you give it to them. Imagine if everyone on Earth did these good deeds?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6945 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 25369 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Did Jesus drink wine or grape juice? Dundee 68 5899 November 27, 2020 at 6:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Did Jesus ever sin? ignoramus 59 12332 May 3, 2018 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Republicans seem hell bent on proving their god does not exist Foxaèr 7 2338 December 23, 2017 at 4:23 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Lets say that tomorow it will be proven that God doesn't exist , religion will fade , notimportant1234 54 11491 October 28, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  What would you do if you found out God can't possibly exist? Succubus 21 4788 October 7, 2017 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Could Hell exist? Europa! 20 4705 September 16, 2017 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Answers to "if god did not exist" Foxaèr 25 9110 June 2, 2017 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4564 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13