Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 5:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism vs. God's Existence
RE: Atheism vs. God's Existence
AAA Wrote:
BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:No, he really doesn't.  I mean, he really REALLY doesn't.

Boru
Are you sure? He mentions several times in his book how Darwin explained the design without a designer. He also says: Biology is the study of complicated things that give the appearance of having been designed for a purpose. Plus dictionary.com defined design as: purpose, planning, or intention that exists or is thought to exist behind an action, fact, or material object.

Biological systems definitely exhibit purpose behind their actions especially on the cellular level. Everything is coordinated to respond to stimuli in the most beneficial way for the organism. Do you really think that biological systems don't exhibit apparent design?

What you want there is a quote of Dawkins saying a biological organism not tampered with by humans was designed, not that it has the appearance of being designed. Otherwise you're misrepresenting him. That is, you're lying about him.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
AAA Wrote:
BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:Think, really, really hard about the word 'appear'.  Biological systems 'appear' designed in precisely the same way that a stage magician can 'appear' to saw a woman in half.

Boru

That's just an assertion. Maybe they appear designed the way a person genuinely getting chopped in half appears to be chopped in half. Why do we have to assume biological systems are counter-intuitive?

It's not an assumption. It's an observation.
AAA Wrote:
BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:We had a smallish orchard on the farm where I grew up.  After a fairly fierce windstorm, my brothers and I were doing clean-up, when one of them pointed out that some of the apples on the group formed a pattern that looked not completely unlike a bird.

While it may appear that the tree was clever enough to drop the apples into a shape somewhat resembling a bird, I don't think any sane person would argue that such was actually the case.

Boru

Apples arranging into a bird and biological systems are not even close. I am offended personally that you could make that comparison.

My, what a tissue paper-thin skin!
(May 20, 2016 at 9:15 am)Mister Agenda Wrote:
AAA Wrote:Yeah, it depends on your perspective, but biologists agree that it was designed. The question is was it designed by random mutation and natural selection, an intelligent designer, or some third alternative? The first one is becoming less reasonable as we begin to learn about the complex regulatory mechanisms and interplay between the different enzymes.

If you're claiming that biologists think the first one is 'becoming less reasonable', you're either astonishingly misinformed, bonkers, or outright lying. If you're just trying to make it sound like biologists think that, you're dishonest.

And by the way, Steve, that last sentence of AAA's is an example of an argument from incredulity.

Ugh...ALL of this has been explained to Junk Status before. He just keeps coming back to regurgitate the same utter failure of an argument over and over, pretending like he's never heard any of these rebuttals before. I'm starting to wonder if he is nothing more than an elaborate troll.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(May 19, 2016 at 5:33 pm)AAA Wrote:
(May 19, 2016 at 4:02 pm)robvalue Wrote: No, they don't agree any such thing.

We've been through this at least twice already.

Well Dawkins does.

LOL! TripleA come ON. You are actually trying to tell people on an Atheist forum that Richard Dawkins is an intelligent design proponent? This is just...the saddest thing ever. You've either never read a thing he's authored or you're just a bold-faced liar, and a STUPID liar if you thought such a ludicrous misrepresentation of his words would ever fly here.

And actually...I remember this whole Dawkins nonsense coming from you four or so months ago, and you were corrected. It's like you've got a script somewhere or something. Now I'm leaning heavily toward "troll".
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

(May 19, 2016 at 8:21 pm)wiploc Wrote:
(May 19, 2016 at 2:37 pm)AAA Wrote: ... but biologists agree that it was designed.

Nonsense.  You made that up.

Ok, well my biochemistry textbook has chapters called: the molecular design of life, and basic concepts and design of metabolism.
(May 20, 2016 at 10:37 am)AAA Wrote:
(May 19, 2016 at 8:21 pm)wiploc Wrote: Nonsense.  You made that up.

Ok, well my biochemistry textbook has chapters called: the molecular design of life, and basic concepts and design of metabolism.

That's probably because you go to a shitty Christian college, TROLL.

If you'd opened it for more than a quote mine, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 20, 2016 at 10:37 am)AAA Wrote:
(May 19, 2016 at 8:21 pm)wiploc Wrote: Nonsense.  You made that up.

What's the name of the textbook, and who edited it?
(May 19, 2016 at 11:09 pm)dyresand Wrote:
(May 19, 2016 at 11:05 pm)AAA Wrote: Yeah but it leads to the same qualities that a genuine design would possess.

Don't ever....ever...ever.... argue for design if you do then you have to accept the fact that your god is a shitty creator the end.

I think that the design is pretty exceptional on the molecular level. You don't complain about your hemoglobin's ability to cooperatively bind or the impressive signal transduction pathways determining glycogen synthesis and breakdown. What about the extremely complex enzymes of the ETC? How about the complex mechanisms by which sounds and other stimuli are transduced into chemical stimuli that the body can interpret? 

Do these look like poor design, or are you just going to complain that your esophagus is too close to your trachea?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Existence of Marcion questioned? JairCrawford 28 2297 March 4, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The existence of god Foxaèr 16 3028 May 5, 2018 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  There is no argument for the existence of "God" Foxaèr 38 7754 March 15, 2016 at 8:50 am
Last Post: popsthebuilder
  Two ways to prove the existence of God. Also, what I'm looking for. IanHulett 9 3695 July 25, 2015 at 6:37 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  20 Arguments for God's existence? Foxaèr 17 4222 May 9, 2014 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Telephones Prove God's Existence Mudhammam 9 4198 February 6, 2014 at 6:41 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12890 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  Debating the existence of Jesus CleanShavenJesus 52 25229 June 26, 2013 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Bad Writer
  Science explains the existence of God. Greatest I am 1 1547 August 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: 5thHorseman
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6798 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad