Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 1:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN]
RE: Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN]
(May 31, 2016 at 7:20 pm)Aegon Wrote: Yeah, the trouble with the "Bran = 3 Eyed Crow" theory is that the Three-Eyed Crow is Brynden Rivers / Bloodraven, who is most definitely an entire other person

In the books, perhaps. Has it been explicitly stated that's who he is/was in the by now quite different show?
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(May 31, 2016 at 7:20 pm)Aegon Wrote: Yeah, the trouble with the "Bran = 3 Eyed Crow" theory is that the Three-Eyed Crow is Brynden Rivers / Bloodraven, who is most definitely an entire other person

Completely forgot about the Bloodraven. I do like Homeless Nutter's idea, though.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 31, 2016 at 5:46 pm)pocaracas Wrote: WUT?!
She's NEVER forgiven Tyrion for Killing her mother.
All her life, she's had a festering hate for the imp.

And yet - she hadn't done anything about it, that we know of, for 30+ years. What changed at that precise moment, in Winterfell?

(May 31, 2016 at 5:46 pm)pocaracas Wrote: If that's not reason enough, I don't know what may be...

How about - being a spoiled psychopath, who thinks himself invincible and who just got slapped by an "imp" - and probably not for the first time.

(May 31, 2016 at 5:46 pm)pocaracas Wrote: And Jaime agreeing with Tyrion on blaming Joffrey... well... Jaime had an interest in silencing Bran, too...

Jamie is a POV character in the books. He may have reasons to lie about his involvement to Tyrion, Catelyn, or whoever - but there's no reason to lie to the reader, who's following his thought process. Also worth mentioning is that Cersei - who's also a POV character in the later books - never once remembers scheming to blame Tyrion for Bran's assassination, even though she continually obsesses over Tyrion, as well as her own past. It's odd, that she would never think to herself, that her brother's perceived hatred towards her and her children might stem from the fact, that he could have found out about her alleged plot to frame him for Bran.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(May 31, 2016 at 12:45 pm)Homeless Nutter Wrote: What was Joffrey's motive, when he cut open a pregnant cat, to get the kittens out (in the book, anyway)?
What was Joffrey's motive for torturing prostitutes and killing at least one?
What was the motive for publicly torturing Sansa?
What was his motive for killing Ned Stark?

Psycho
Power trip + Psycho
Power trip + Psycho
Power trip + Psycho

Notice one thing about Joffrey pre-ascension: He was definitely a spoiled little sadistic psychopath, as you point out, but he was also a bit of a wimp who hadn't been entirely let loose to run with his power-tripping ego after he became king and no one could stop him.  He was on a long leash, but he was still on a leash, and Robert was on the other end of it.  I'm not saying I think Cersei or Jaime were behind the attack on Bran, I'm saying I don't buy that Joffrey was.  His attention being turned to other people only happened after he became king and damned-near invincible.

Quote:Cersei at that point didn't have any particular reasons to want Tyrion eliminated, beyond those Joffrey had.
(May 31, 2016 at 8:54 pm)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(May 31, 2016 at 5:46 pm)pocaracas Wrote: WUT?!
She's NEVER forgiven Tyrion for Killing her mother.
All her life, she's had a festering hate for the imp.

And yet - she hadn't done anything about it, that we know of, for 30+ years. What changed at that precise moment, in Winterfell?

(1) What Poca said.

(2) Cersei isn't entirely stupid.  She's cunning in her own shortsighted way, but I would believe that she is entirely capable of bidding her time until the right moment to frame Tyrion for something he didn't do and get him executed *cough*poinsingJoffrey*cough* if she was, in fact, behind the attack on Bran.  Also, 30+ years of stewing over her hatred until the moment comes where she can do something about it?  Way more believable to me than Joffrey committing an act of "mercy" by having Bran killed.

Quote:But, hey - you don't have to take it from me. In the books both Tyrion and Jamie come to similar conclusions.

When?  Where?  I'm not saying you're not citing something true, I just don't remember this and am interested in looking it up.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Some here are saying that whoever hired Bran's assassin was trying to set Tyrion up to take the fall.

That's because of the knife, right? The assassin used a knife that used to belong to Tyrion? But we got that story much later, and from Littlefinger. Why would we trust Littlefinger? And, in Littlefinger's story, he, Littlefinger used to own that same knife. He lost it to Tyrion in a bet. Tyrion won it by betting that his brother Jamie would lose a joust. Jamie lost, so Tyrion got the knife.

But that's Littlefinger's story. Tyrion denies it, says he has never ever bet against his family.

So I don't think Tyrion ever owned the knife, and I don't think whoever hired the assassin could have anticipated that the knife would be linked to Tyrion.

If the person who hired the assassin was trying to set anybody up, it was Littlefinger.
(May 31, 2016 at 10:40 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: When?  Where?  I'm not saying you're not citing something true, I just don't remember this and am interested in looking it up.

ASOIAF Wiki Wrote:Tyrion recalls a memory whilst he was at Winterfell, in which he overheard Joffrey Baratheon jesting with The Hound to send a dog to kill a wolf. He guesses that Joffrey hired the catspaw among those that joined the king's party as they made their way North and that he had found the dagger amongst his father's weapons and had simply taken it. However, Tyrion is unable to figure out why Joffrey wanted Bran dead, and attributes it to his innate cruelty.[2]

Jaime later realises that Joffrey sent the assassin in an attempt to impress his father, after overhearing a drunken Robert Baratheon say it would be kinder to put the crippled Bran Stark out of his misery.
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Cat...7D.7D.7D-1

ASOS -Chapter 60 Wrote:Tyrion puzzles out how his nephew must have found Littlefinger’s Valyrian dagger amongst Robert’s possessions, assuming that the king had probably forgotten he even owned it. Joffrey must then have paid some unsavory freerider to open Bran’s throat, though Tyrion still cannot figure out why, attributing it to Joffrey's innate cruelty for the moment.
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_S...Chapter_60

ASOS - Chapter 72 Wrote:When Cersei mentions that Robert himself, at Winterfell, said it would be kinder to put the boy out of his misery while alone with her and their children, Jaime figures out that it was Joffrey, 'desperate for a pat on the head from that sot', who sent the assassin to kill Bran, even though Cersei does not believe him when he tells her his suspicions, just as Jaime does not believe her when Cersei insists again that Tyrion is responsible for Joffrey's death.
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_S...Chapter_72

From the books perspective, Jaime and Cersei have no reason to be lying to each other over this.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I've played enough mafia to know how doublethink works. ;-)
Book readers: GRRM.recently confirmed a small fan theory. Brienne is a descendant of Ser Duncan the Tall. Not a big deal, but a cool factoid nonetheless
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
I know you like that. Dunk and Egg.

(June 1, 2016 at 2:15 am)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(May 31, 2016 at 10:40 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: When?  Where?  I'm not saying you're not citing something true, I just don't remember this and am interested in looking it up.

ASOIAF Wiki Wrote:Tyrion recalls a memory whilst he was at Winterfell, in which he overheard Joffrey Baratheon jesting with The Hound to send a dog to kill a wolf. He guesses that Joffrey hired the catspaw among those that joined the king's party as they made their way North and that he had found the dagger amongst his father's weapons and had simply taken it. However, Tyrion is unable to figure out why Joffrey wanted Bran dead, and attributes it to his innate cruelty.[2]

Jaime later realises that Joffrey sent the assassin in an attempt to impress his father, after overhearing a drunken Robert Baratheon say it would be kinder to put the crippled Bran Stark out of his misery.
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Cat...7D.7D.7D-1

ASOS -Chapter 60 Wrote:Tyrion puzzles out how his nephew must have found Littlefinger’s Valyrian dagger amongst Robert’s possessions, assuming that the king had probably forgotten he even owned it. Joffrey must then have paid some unsavory freerider to open Bran’s throat, though Tyrion still cannot figure out why, attributing it to Joffrey's innate cruelty for the moment.
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_S...Chapter_60

ASOS - Chapter 72 Wrote:When Cersei mentions that Robert himself, at Winterfell, said it would be kinder to put the boy out of his misery while alone with her and their children, Jaime figures out that it was Joffrey, 'desperate for a pat on the head from that sot', who sent the assassin to kill Bran, even though Cersei does not believe him when he tells her his suspicions, just as Jaime does not believe her when Cersei insists again that Tyrion is responsible for Joffrey's death.
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_S...Chapter_72

From the books perspective, Jaime and Cersei have no reason to be lying to each other over this.

They aren't lying.  They are setting up the reversal, the big reveal. 

There's a huge difference between GRRM thinking something and him having his characters think it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Captain Marvel movie w/ spoilers Rahn127 0 383 March 9, 2019 at 2:04 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  I wan't to express, that I disliked Rick and Morty season 3 Der/die AtheistIn 38 3670 February 6, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  'Tis the Season (almost) -- your favorite Nativity photos here! Jehanne 38 3471 December 27, 2018 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Upcoming movie movie trailer discussion Alex K 50 7123 October 22, 2018 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Video Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 357 72874 January 28, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  X-Files season 11 (maybe) Silver 10 2107 January 26, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
Tongue Let's talk Black Mirror season 4 Aoi Magi 23 4156 January 15, 2018 at 9:35 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Which is the best survivor season? ErGingerbreadMandude 4 1154 October 22, 2017 at 9:34 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Game of Thrones Season 7 trailer, "The Long Walk" Aegon 3 996 March 30, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Do not watch the movie, "The Arrival" because it is pro-life propaganda. {Spoilers} Silver 21 5416 February 6, 2017 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda