Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 5, 2024, 11:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refuting Christians with their Own Bible
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible
(June 30, 2016 at 8:05 am)SteveII Wrote: What exactly is God instructing that is immoral? He is regulating a less-than-ideal social system. He does not instruct people to get slaves. Your objection is that he does not forbid it. Then we are right back to the question you refuse to answer: how would a society (such as they had) effect the same goals without this system?

Only a regulator, where is his magic now to destroy slavery? But also telling slaves to embrace their masters (Ephesians 6:5 by St Paul) "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ." Whores obey your pimps - yeah where is bad in that? He's only regulating, it's not like he can do something.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
alter boys:

obey your priests !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(June 30, 2016 at 8:05 am)SteveII Wrote:
(June 29, 2016 at 5:49 pm)Veritas_Vincit Wrote:  
What would be a reasonable characterization of these choices? Do they appear to be the intentions and actions of a moral being? A loving being? An all knowing being? No, on all counts. Moral? No, because he directly instructs immoral behaviour. ..... You see, this is why I ridicule religion – because it is ridiculous, and frankly I find it insulting not only to my intelligence but to the dignity of our species.

What exactly is God instructing that is immoral? He is regulating a less-than-ideal social system. He does not instruct people to get slaves. Your objection is that he does not forbid it. Then we are right back to the question you refuse to answer: how would a society (such as they had) effect the same goals without this system?

"Your slaves are to come from the nations around you. From them, you may buy slaves."

Pretty plain to me. He's at least instructing people who mean to take slaves to buy them from surrounding nations. How kind.

So you're telling me that your all-powerful source of universal morality can take the time to forbid cross dressing, eating shrimp, wearing clothes of mixed fibers, gay stuff, and boiling kid goats in their mother's milk, but for some reason slavery was just something he had to work around until we figured out on our own that slavery actually isn't OK? Are you listening to yourself?

You serve a god whose best known feature is that he makes ridiculously long lists of tediously absurd rules and forbiddings toward an untold laundry list of behaviors, but the immorality of slavery was given a total miss in both Testaments. In fact, both testaments endorse it openly. What part of that suggests that slavery is against your god's supposed moral system? If your god really is the source of all morals, then there is literally no indication whatsoever that slavery is wrong.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
(June 29, 2016 at 10:01 pm)SteveII Wrote:

Your option 2 is not compatible with free will. If God appeared to each person, our choice to choose God rather than not God becomes nearly impossible. However, that does not mean he has not given moral guidance. Everyone knows the difference between right and wrong. We are born with it. 

As a point of discussion, I've never been crazy about using "free will" in this manner in regards to the question of why God doesn't show Himself all the time. As I believe that others pointed out, if it is correct, that God's appearance violates ones free will, then He had no problem doing so to those to whom He did appear.

We are not given an answer to this question, so I think any discussion of it is just theory (and mine is open to change). What I see is two things shown in Scripture. First we have the fall. Sin separates us from God. Part of the consequences of sin, was being cast out of fellowship with God (Garden of Eden). It is by Grace, that God does show Himself, and has provided for redemption. (It is also by grace, that I think that we do not experience the complete separation that will come after the judgment) Second, when I read through the Old Testament, I see a repetition; in that Israel is sent a prophet or see God's work within them, they straighten up for a while, and then they fall away again. It shows us what we are like without God. It's not just about behaving correctly, but what is in our hearts. Which do you think is a truer representation of your driving (when you are being followed by a cop, or not)? I think you see this in social constraints as well. If society broke down, how quickly would we become the Lord of the Flies?
Unfortunately for this "they straighten up then fall away" business....

They are carrying out your gods -explicit- orders in genocide and subsequent sex-slaving. It's not some shitty idea they had, that he stood in heaven shaking his about about "silly, silly hoomans". If magic book is to be believed, this is the character of your god. Clearly, neither you nor any christian who so much as attempts apologetics on this issue believes in magic book, or the goodness of the god -in- magic book.

Why not be upfront about that, because it would nip any of this criticism in the bud immediately. Say it with me "That's not my god, I don't believe in that god, my god would never do anything like that". Is that so hard? All these shitty arguments when you don't even need a -good- argument.....sigh.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 30, 2016 at 8:52 am)Redbeard The Pink Wrote:
(June 30, 2016 at 8:05 am)SteveII Wrote: What exactly is God instructing that is immoral? He is regulating a less-than-ideal social system. He does not instruct people to get slaves. Your objection is that he does not forbid it. Then we are right back to the question you refuse to answer: how would a society (such as they had) effect the same goals without this system?

"Your slaves are to come from the nations around you. From them, you may buy slaves." [1]

Pretty plain to me. He's at least instructing people who mean to take slaves to buy them from surrounding nations. How kind.

So you're telling me that your all-powerful source of universal morality can take the time to forbid cross dressing, eating shrimp, wearing clothes of mixed fibers, gay stuff, and boiling kid goats in their mother's milk, but for some reason slavery was just something he had to work around until we figured out on our own that slavery actually isn't OK? Are you listening to yourself? [2]

You serve a god whose best known feature is that he makes ridiculously long lists of tediously absurd rules and forbiddings toward an untold laundry list of behaviors, but the immorality of slavery was given a total miss in both Testaments. In fact, both testaments endorse it openly. What part of that suggests that slavery is against your god's supposed moral system? If your god really is the source of all morals, then there is literally no indication whatsoever that slavery is wrong. [3]

[1] Again, regulating, not commanding. 

[2] Your list was for a specific people for a specific time. You are mixing moral laws with dietary laws with social laws--all of which had their meaning to those people. I am listening to myself. You repeating the objection does not change my answer which I have typed out at least 10 times. No one has yet suggested a method to achieve the same goals in this type of society except the "God could have because...omnipotence" line which is a philosophical cop-out.

[3] The NT does not endorse slavery. Instructing slaves to obey their masters is perfectly in line with the gospel. What was the alternative instruction? "Slaves do not obey your masters"? That would have led to violence and death in yet another society that practiced slavery. There were also references instructing people not to mistreat their slaves/servants. I think it is clear that truly following the NT teachings will convict you of even the most modest forms of slavery. 

Purely a philosophical question: what is the precise problem with this type of slavery (not based on a race having less value)? If you do answer, please address voluntary slavery and if and why that is wrong. I am not saying there isn't a problem, I would just like to hear people articulate it.
That's it... pointing and laughing at SteveII
Creationists are like Slinkys: It's hard not to giggle when they tumble down the stairs.
(June 30, 2016 at 9:46 am)Rhythm Wrote: Unfortunately for this "they straighten up then fall away" business....

They are carrying out your gods -explicit- orders in genocide and subsequent sex-slaving.  It's not some shitty idea they had, that he stood in heaven shaking his about about "silly, silly hoomans".  If magic book is to be believed, this is the character of your god.  Clearly, neither you nor any christian who so much as attempts apologetics on this issue believes in magic book, or the goodness of the god -in- magic book.

Why not be upfront about that, because it would nip any of this criticism in the bud immediately.  Say it with me "That's not my god, I don't believe in that god, my god would never do anything like that".  Is that so hard?  All these shitty arguments when you don't even need a -good- argument.....sigh.
I think you are confused, because I was responding to a specific statement. 

I also find the words you are attempting to put in my mouth to be unfounded.
Steve,

Why can't god give a command to stop enslaving people? You acknowledged he commands slaves to obey their masters, why can't he just give a command to the masters to not own slaves?

It doesn't matter whether or not you treat your slaves nicely or poorly, it doesn't matter whether they are forced into slavery or they do it willingly, the concept of a person being owned as property is wrong.
(June 30, 2016 at 10:11 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I think you are confused, because I was responding to a specific statement. 
IDK RR, doesn;t seem like I'm the one that's confused.  I'm not the one trying to square a circle here, after all.

Quote:I also find the words you are attempting to put in my mouth to be unfounded.

You do believe that your god is a genocidal sex slaver...that is your god, and that is the goodness of your god?  I doubt it. Jesus christ..... show a christian the door that gets him out of all of this and he still protests......
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I own an XBOX and that's good enough for me. Angrboda 5 604 July 9, 2023 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 2122 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  "You just want to be your own god"? zwanzig 48 5588 July 7, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1663 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How to beat a presupp at their own game Superjock 150 14872 April 16, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  James Randi deserves his own RIP thread. Brian37 27 2667 January 6, 2021 at 11:39 am
Last Post: RozzerusUnrelentus
Wink Refuting Theistic Argument Ricardo 40 4253 October 7, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 5212 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Famous people losing their religion: stories Fake Messiah 14 3112 May 21, 2018 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Make up your own atheistic quote Transcended Dimensions 56 10908 October 30, 2017 at 9:04 am
Last Post: brewer