Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 9:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you actually believe in God?
RE: Why do you actually believe in God?
(July 1, 2016 at 12:24 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: 1. Because we are connected to God and can see him.

2. Because there is good reasons to believe in God through what we know about ourselves.

3. Through remembering a vision of God we've witnessed before.

4. Because he lives in us.

1. No, we can't and we are not. Maybe you think you can but you can't speak for everyone. What can see and why do you call it God?

2. Not that I can see, and I've done more than enough introspection in my time. What do you know about yourself that indicates a God?

3. Before when? What if you never have? And how would you know you weren't hallucinating?

4. No, he doesn't - unless you can demonstrate this?

(July 1, 2016 at 1:01 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Why not a better response like:

"Interesting perspective, how can we come to the same perspective and know it to be true?"

Why is always hate towards the idea of connection to God?

We should want to evaluate wether or not it is true, not just try to see it as true regardless of the facts. If you only look for confirmation of what you want to be true your will part company with reality.

(July 1, 2016 at 1:49 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: The thing is believers come to the view, there biggest honor and reward is their relationship with God. God becomes their best reward, their most valued treasure.

Atheists see believers attachment is to something they don't know is there, while believers take honor in how their souls had to strive and come towards knowledge.   How they awakened through love and desire towards their Lord.

Love makes them hold on to certainty in their vision, while those who disbelieve in God, hold on to doubts and don't rely on what they know for certain. They pay attention to doubts too much and override their knowledge, mainly, because of lack of resolve and love to serve and worship the Creator.

At the same time, the disbeliever in God dislikes the idea that believers have a honorable position higher, so is constantly attacking them. He dislikes the view believers see that disgrace lies in turning away from their Lord, the source of all greatness, praise, and that which is to be valued, because it degrades them in their view.

The believer can give in, and say, yes there is no honor in believing in God or disgrace from turning away from him and his path, but that goes against the love he understands the Creator is obligated to have.  His love forces him to see the evil in turning away from God's light and holy names and signs.

They both come out against one another.

So there is a constant battle...

In the nicest possible way, were you high when you wrote this?

Just in case you weren't, which seems unlikely, let me change a couple of things to show you how this comes across:

Quote: The thing is Unicorn believers come to the view, there biggest honor and reward is their relationship with Unicorns. Unicorns become their best reward, their most valued treasure.

Unicorn deniers see Unicorn believers attachment is to something they don't know is there, while Unicorn believers take honor in how their souls had to strive and come towards knowledge.   How they awakened through love and desire towards Unicorns.

Love makes them hold on to certainty in their vision, while those who disbelieve in Unicorns, hold on to doubts and don't rely on what they know for certain. They pay attention to doubts too much and override their knowledge, mainly, because of lack of resolve and love to serve and worship the Unicorns.

At the same time, the disbeliever in unicorns dislikes the idea that Unicorn believers have a honorable position higher, so is constantly attacking them. He dislikes the view Unicorn believers see that disgrace lies in turning away from Unicorns the source of all greatness, praise, and that which is to be valued, because it degrades them in their view.

The Unicorn believer can give in, and say, yes there is no honor in believing in Unicorns or disgrace from turning away from Unicorns and their rainbow coloured path, but that goes against the love he understands Unicorns are obligated to have.  His love forces him to see the evil in turning away from Unicorns' rainbow light and holy manes and tails.
(July 1, 2016 at 5:23 pm)Veritas_Vincit Wrote: 2. Not that I can see, and I've done more than enough introspection in my time. What do you know about yourself that indicates a God?
Let's focus on this subject. 
Do you believe you have an objective exact value to who you are? If so, how did you get that exact value? Does it require perception? What type of perception does it require?
(July 1, 2016 at 6:45 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(July 1, 2016 at 5:23 pm)Veritas_Vincit Wrote: 2. Not that I can see, and I've done more than enough introspection in my time. What do you know about yourself that indicates a God?
Let's focus on this subject. 
Do you believe you have an objective exact value to who you are? If so, how did you get that exact value? Does it require perception? What type of perception does it require?

Value? What kind of value?

Who I am in what sense?
(July 1, 2016 at 6:49 pm)Veritas_Vincit Wrote:
(July 1, 2016 at 6:45 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Let's focus on this subject. 

Value? What kind of value?

Who I am in what sense?

Merit type value, whether positive or negative or mix.
(July 1, 2016 at 6:50 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(July 1, 2016 at 6:49 pm)Veritas_Vincit Wrote: Value? What kind of value?

Who I am in what sense?

Merit type value, whether positive or negative or mix.

Do I have objective merit type value? Nope. Value in this sense is necessarily a subjective concept.
(July 1, 2016 at 6:53 pm)Veritas_Vincit Wrote:
(July 1, 2016 at 6:50 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Merit type value, whether positive or negative or mix.

Do I have objective merit type value? Nope. Value in this sense is necessarily a subjective concept.

Do you give yourself subjective merit type value? And if you do so, based on what belief do you do so?
(July 1, 2016 at 7:04 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(July 1, 2016 at 6:53 pm)Veritas_Vincit Wrote: Do I have objective merit type value? Nope. Value in this sense is necessarily a subjective concept.

Do you give yourself subjective merit type value? And if you do so, based on what belief do you do so?

No, I don't give myself value. I don't think that actually makes sense. The value I have to each person or animal is different based on what I am to them. I'm not sure what value I can have to myself since I am myself. I take care of myself for my own sake. I do things that are in my best interests. I have different degrees of proficiency or mastery at different skills. I enjoy certain things and dislike others.

I can value things - like my legs, wouldn't want to lose them. But myself? No, it doesn't make sense.
(July 1, 2016 at 7:13 pm)Veritas_Vincit Wrote: I can value things - like my legs, wouldn't want to lose them. But myself? No, it doesn't make sense.

So when you value others, do you value them for utility and not merit?  You don't honor a single human? Don't believe any of their actions are worthy of honor?

Do you love yourself or others? And is not a way of valuing yourself? If so, why do you so? Just because of instincts or do you believe you should do based on reason?
Not this crap again
(July 1, 2016 at 7:20 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(July 1, 2016 at 7:13 pm)Veritas_Vincit Wrote: I can value things - like my legs, wouldn't want to lose them. But myself? No, it doesn't make sense.

So when you value others, do you value them for utility and not merit?

Depends what you mean by "value" in this sense. I can evaluate people consciously based on different criteria. Then there is how I feel about a person or animal, which is often irrational as it includes instinctual and emotional factors that were developed by survival value rather than reason and logic.

Quote: You don't honor a single human?

There are people I respect, people I look up to, people I am grateful to and in awe of. Honor... Depends, give me an example.

Quote:Don't believe any of their actions are worthy of honor?

Worthy of praise, respect etc yes. Honor... I'm not sure it's a useful concept.

Quote:Do you love yourself or others?

There are many different types of love. In a colloquial sense yes, but it's an oversimplification.

Quote: And is not a way of valuing yourself? If so, why do you so?
Love type feelings can be explained but aren't based on rationality. It is a way of valuing people but not as a conscious act of volition.

Quote: Just because of instincts or do you believe you should do based on reason?

I don't love because I should or should not, any more than I choose to be hungry or choose to enjoy being in nature. There are lots of evolutionary reasons why we have certain strong feelings.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 6065 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 27631 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1666 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 4408 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2913 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 9418 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3863 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 93072 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 8434 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 11913 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished