Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 7:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I am a theist, what do you think of my proof for God existing?
RE: I am a theist, what do you think of my proof for God existing?
I am going to take one final stab at explaining what is wrong with your argument. Please try to pay attention.

Here is the argument you presented. Italics are my response.

1. Formulate the information of the concept of God, thus:
"God in concept is first and foremost the creator and operator of the universe and man and everything with a beginning."
"God" here is really poorly defined. Big bang theory could be "God" by this concept. And you misuse the word "creator" to imply intent. No intent is evident.

2. Look for instances of causation in reality outside of concepts in our mind.
It may be outside of our minds, but it is INSIDE our universe, yet you are discussing a concept of something OUTSIDE our universe. INSIDE a bowl we observe balls are held into a half-sphere shape, but by no means does that tell us the same thing will happen OUTSIDE of that bowl. By the same token what we observe INSIDE our universe does not describe what happens OUTSIDE our universe and, in fact, if what happens outside were the same as what happens inside the universe becomes impossible.

3. We find countless examples of causation in reality outside of concepts in our mind.
Again, ALWAYS "within" our universe, never outside of it. Since we cannot observe outside of our universe what happens here says nothing about what happens there.

4. From the countless instances of causation in reality, we infer to the existence of a first and ultimate cause.
Not true. As I have stated, our observations include only a very, VERY tiny portion of the inside of our own universe. We cannot even say with certainty that how things work here is the same across all of space and time and, in fact, there is some evidence to suggest that the laws of the universe are not uniform and that they do work differently elsewhere. If we can't even say with certainty that something is true in all of our universe then we certainly can't say with any certainty that these were the same laws which governed "not" our universe before it existed. And, again, if that were the case our universe would be impossible. Even God becomes impossible if he is bound by cause and effect.

5. We find that the first and ultimate cause of all instances of causation in reality corresponds to our information on the concept of God, namely, the creator and operator of the universe and man and everything with a beginning.
[/i]Again, not that any of this is actually true, but if it were, the concept of God is so vaguely defined as to be meaningless/[/i]

6. Conclusion: God exists in concept as first and foremost the creator and operator of the universe and man and everything with a beginning.
A conclusion based on conjecture, misinformation, falsehoods, a fundamental misunderstanding of science and a definition so vague as to encompass literally anything I might like to describe as being "God". I could use this same argument to argue for big bang theory. Here is how:

1. Formulate the information of the concept of the Big Bang, thus:
"The Big Bang in concept is first and foremost the creator and operator of the universe and man and everything with a beginning."

2. Look for instances of causation in reality outside of concepts in our mind.

3. We find countless examples of causation in reality outside of concepts in our mind.

4. From the countless instances of causation in reality, we infer to the existence of a first and ultimate cause.

5. We find that the first and ultimate cause of all instances of causation in reality corresponds to our information on the concept of Big Bang Theory, namely, the creator and operator of the universe and man and everything with a beginning.

6. Conclusion: The Big Bang happened in concept as first and foremost the creator and operator of the universe and man and everything with a beginning.

The only change I made to your argument was to name "God".
Have you ever noticed all the drug commercials on TV lately?  Why is it the side effects never include penile enlargement or super powers?
Side effects may include super powers or enlarged penis which may become permanent with continued use.  Stop taking Killatol immediately and consult your doctor if you experience penis enlargement of more than 3 inches, laser vision, superhuman strength, invulnerability, the ability to explode heads with your mind or time travel.  Killatoll is not for everyone, especially those who already have convertibles or vehicles of ridiculous size to supplement penis size.
(November 7, 2016 at 11:22 am)mh.brewer Wrote:
(November 7, 2016 at 11:13 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: The only awful posts here are YOURS.  Go away.  No one likes you.  And, you smell.  

Surströmming?

oh god, no.
Well, I guess it's going to be a long wait for Simon to reply to my post addressed explicitly to him; he is a good poster but subservient to his bad habit of hunting fallacies, instead of doing serious genuine productive thinking on truths, facts, logic, and the history of ideas.

That is what I find all the time with atheists, they don't think at all, they just voice out categorical statements laced with insults and cuss words, then they already feel so smug for having produced categorical declamatory utterances, and ending up with fu**’s and sh**’s.

Here, dear atheist colleagues,  enter with google these two words, existence science, and you will see God’s existence come up page after page of hits by google.

Do that and think why, instead of issuing ipse dixit utterances and spicing them with cuss language, and then feeling so smug with having said something, no matter it is so empty and all pure arbitrary declamatory utterances.

Please, at least from intellectual curiosity, enter the words existence science with google into the realm of internet, and see what google will turn up.

And then think why.

ANNEX
Quote:Google: existence science

About 263,000,000 results (0.41 seconds)

Search Results

Does God Exist - Six Reasons to Believe that God is Really There - Is ...
http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html
2 Before you look at the facts surrounding God's existence, ask yourself, If God does exist ... Scientists are convinced that our universe began with one enormous ...

Existence of God - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existence_of_God
The existence of God is a subject of debate in the philosophy of religion, popular culture, and .... In Karl Popper's philosophy of science, belief in a supernatural God is outside the natural domain of scientific investigation because all scientific ...

10 Scientists Who Claim to Have Proof about the Existence of God ...
http://www.oddee.com/item_98822.aspx
Jan 7, 2014 - Check out this list about theories and tests conducted by scientists from different fields that are intended to demonstrate the existence of God, ...

Believe in God in 5 Minutes (Scientific Proof) - YouTube
▶ 5:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQVm8RokoBA
Aug 2, 2014 - Uploaded by Sinai Speak
His Doctorate is in two fields: Earth sciences and physics. Donate to Sinai ... Scientist found definitive proof that ...

Can science prove the existence of God? – Starts With A Bang! - Medium
https://medium.com/.../can-science-prove...d-b6fefdc5...
Dec 30, 2014 - This past weekend, Eric Metaxas lit up the world with his bold article in the Wall Street Journal, Science Increasingly Makes the Case for God.

World Renowned Scientist Michio Kaku Proves Existence Of God ...
http://www.scienceworldreport.com/.../wo...ichio-kaku-...
Jun 13, 2016 - Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku, one of the most respected scientists today claimed that he found definitive proof of the existence of God.

What Science Says About the Existence of God - The New American
http://www.thenewamerican.com/.../22901-...the-existe...
Apr 8, 2016 - What Science Says About the Existence of God. The second chapter of Carlos Calle's book The Universe: Order Without Design makes clear ...

Do Recent Discoveries in Science Offer Evidence for the Existence of ...
https://www.gci.org/science/debate1a
Science writer Fred Heeren is in a position to know the arguments for his position from his seven-year search for evidence both for and against God's existence, ...

Has a Prominent Physicist Proved the Existence of God? - Breaking ...
http://www.breakingisraelnews.com/.../pr...xistence-g...
Jun 23, 2016 - Some lauded his declaration of faith as a sign that science finally ... in the existence of one God as creator of the universe, intervening in it and ...

People also ask

Do gods exist?

Why there is not a God?

Is science is a religion?

Why Science Does Not Disprove God | TIME
time.com/77676/why-science-does-not-disprove-god/
Apr 27, 2014 - A number of recent books and articles would have you believe that—somehow—science has now disproved the existence of God. We know so ...

Searches related to existence science

scientific proof of god

does god exist albert einstein

god does not exist

does god exist debate

proof that god exists

mathematical proof god exists

proof of Jesus

proof god is real

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

You have no evidence that is up to our standards, Mariosep. Your hypothesis has been rejected. You have failed to demonstrate that your god is any more real than pixie farts or invisible garage-dwelling dragons.

You've lost the debate. I think you should now lose your faith as well. *evil grin*
"Existence science" is an oxymoron if "existence" means "existence of God". Science cannot speak to the existence of deities. Science is the study of the natural universe. Any creator god would necessarily exist outside of what science can observe or quantify. You cannot apply "the study of the natural universe" to "the supernatural". Therefor any scientist which claims to have found evidence of the supernatural is, by definition, a moron.
Have you ever noticed all the drug commercials on TV lately?  Why is it the side effects never include penile enlargement or super powers?
Side effects may include super powers or enlarged penis which may become permanent with continued use.  Stop taking Killatol immediately and consult your doctor if you experience penis enlargement of more than 3 inches, laser vision, superhuman strength, invulnerability, the ability to explode heads with your mind or time travel.  Killatoll is not for everyone, especially those who already have convertibles or vehicles of ridiculous size to supplement penis size.
(November 7, 2016 at 5:40 pm)Mariosep Wrote: ...bad habit of hunting fallacies, instead of doing serious genuine productive thinking on truths, facts, logic, and the history of ideas.

Hunting fallacies *is* serious, genuine productive thinking on truths, facts, logic, and the history of ideas.  It makes it easier to come to logical conclusions by eliminating elements that are not logical.

I suspect that you're just upset because the fallacies in your original post utterly destroyed your entire argument from within, thereby exposing you as a weak thinker.
Mariosep, you are a lost "cause"...
“Life is like a grapefruit. Well, it's sort of orangey-yellow and dimpled on the outside, wet and squidgy in the middle. It's got pips inside, too. Oh, and some people have half a one for breakfast.”  - Ford Prefect
(November 7, 2016 at 6:23 pm)Primordial Bisque Wrote: Mariosep, you are a lost "cause"...

That suggests there's also a lost effect as well... Tongue
That was totally not me! Must have been a bean eating pixie I'm telling you. (Filing that away for later use.)
(November 7, 2016 at 6:25 pm)Astreja Wrote:
(November 7, 2016 at 6:23 pm)Primordial Bisque Wrote: Mariosep, you are a lost "cause"...

That suggests there's also a lost effect as well... Tongue

Which might very well be his mind.  Wacky
“Life is like a grapefruit. Well, it's sort of orangey-yellow and dimpled on the outside, wet and squidgy in the middle. It's got pips inside, too. Oh, and some people have half a one for breakfast.”  - Ford Prefect

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 6715 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3710 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 509 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Europeans already think about Harry Potter, not about god Interaktive 11 1185 January 1, 2023 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2246 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 2138 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 1036 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Proof at least one god is b.s. onlinebiker 10 1468 March 16, 2021 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 7495 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 7707 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG