Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 6:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your most favorite thing about being Single/Married?
RE: What's your most favorite thing about being Single/Married?
I'm happy with the way life is right now. I'm in a great relationship with a beautiful woman. Being single has its pleasures as well, but for my money, those pleasures are quite a bit more shallow than being in love with a special someone.

I can find happiness no matter the circumstances I'm in; but having done that solo for ten+ years, I have been much more interested in exploring the potentials of a deeply loving relationship lately. I'm as happy as I've been since my son's boyhood, and in part that's due to being truly open to love, and being in love with a gem of a gal.

(January 30, 2017 at 1:57 pm)pool the great Wrote:
(January 30, 2017 at 1:45 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I honestly don't lol. I miss 0% of being single.

Hmmm. I find that hard to believe. You probably didn't live your singles to the full extent though, christian girls mostly never do. I know lots of women that are struggling a bit with their singles that would absolutely kill it in their marriage though

Nah, it just depends on what you like and what you want.  I'm a good atheist boy and I much prefer being married.  If I wasn't, I'd spend a lot more time seeking out or arranging for sufficient together time with someone.  With marriage you got what you need when you need it.  (Yeah, I know, it sounds like a commodity.)  I like being able to take each other for granted.  I also like coming together and interacting and having someone to nurture who nurtures me. 

I'd add to Mooney's list that you should determine if you both need a similar level of me-time.  Fortunately bot the wife and I like to get engrossed in our projects but we share most meals, usually take a walk together at least every other day, enjoy other outings in common and have sex at least every other year. 

On the negative side she can be a bit of a nag but on the other hand she takes more responsibility for bills and taxes, and I love not having to.  Whatever she may be skimming is well worth it. Like everyone else in the world, I'm not always easy to live with either.  Anyone who thinks there is someone out there who will be simpatico with you at every moment in every way is looking for their parent; real people are quirky and run on their own schedule, not yours.
(January 30, 2017 at 7:47 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I've been married four times, three of them to sane women. My advice to any husband would be "never stop dating your wife."

I read this as "three of them to the same woman" Huh

(January 30, 2017 at 9:14 pm)pool the great Wrote:
(January 30, 2017 at 6:34 pm)robvalue Wrote: Negatives of being married? The main one is the extra hassle if it goes wrong, as opposed to just being partners. But the extra commitment and the legal security are well worth it, in my opinion. I want my wife to be able to make decisions on my behalf if any need making, and to have everything I own if anything happens to me. I don't want her to have to fight anyone.

I'd say that in life, you have to take some risks to get what you want. If you enjoy relationships, it's worth the potential of them going wrong. This is my... third long term relationship, and I learnt lots of things from my previous ones. I wouldn't have married the previous two because I didn't feel that level of confidence that I do now that it would be "forever".

Finally, some honesty! Did you have to really think about to remember that negative or is it a driving factor every time Mrs. rob asks you to do the dishes?? hehe
I would say the risk of divorce is a very real risk when you decide to get married. 
Do you ask yourself, "Oh no no maybe I shouldn't do it what if she gets sick of it and divorce me??". That would be a very stressful situation for me, I hate walking on eggshells. 

hmm. By far, the inability to walk out on your partner without any legal ramifications( or losing half your shit :/ ) seems to be the worst thing about being married.

If that kind of situation would be stressful for you, I absolutely urge you not to get married (yet, at least). In my opinion, you shouldn't marry unless you're feeling as close to 100% as possible that it's the right decision, in every possible way. Of course, I'm not a fortune teller. My marriage might have gone wrong. It might still go wrong. But I feel that risk is absolutely worth it for the joy of spending my life with Emma in a very special way.

When I became extremely ill, which was shortly after Emma moved in with me, I worried she would leave me. She hadn't been with me long, and taking me on was a massive deal because my life had basically been shattered. But she stood by me, not out of guilt or duty, but because she loved me. We were going to wait until I "got better" before we got married, but we faced the fact that I might never get better. We got married anyway, and I'm so glad we did. Now, I never worry she will leave me or I will leave her.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 30, 2017 at 6:15 am)pool the great Wrote: So what about you? What's the most positive thing about your life right now?

I have to admit there is something about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence.  After achieving adulthood, I've been single twice and married twice.  I see advantages to both.

I am currently married.  I like that we take care of each other.  We each have tasks we take care of, but if I, for example, am busy, my husband will jump in to take care of what I usually do and I do the same for him.  As we get older, we have to remind each other of things more.  (Did you remember the trash will be picked up tomorrow?  Don't forget your dentist appointment on Wednesday.)  Sometimes its just a matter of keeping each other company.  

My husband is very funny and smart ---and those are probably characteristics I admire the most. I also appreciate that he can fix just about anything. Also, he is much better at housework than I am.

My husband and I are very different and have different interests, but that means we are always learning from each other.  However, we have basically the same outlook on life, agree politically and non-religiously, for example.
The problem with those who choose received Authority over fact and logic is how they choose which part of Authority to obey. The Bible famously contradicts itself at many points (I have never understood why any Christian would choose the Old Testament over the New), and the Koran can be read as a wonderfully compassionate and humanistic document. Which suggests that the problem of fundamentalism lies not with authority, but with ourselves.” ~Molly Ivins
(January 30, 2017 at 3:09 pm)vorlon13 Wrote:
(January 30, 2017 at 3:02 pm)PETE_ROSE Wrote: Most annoying things about marriage?  Mother in law comes to mind as a strong front runner.  Any conversation that starts by "I need to talk to you".

followed by " YOUR son wants to go by the name of Brenda now . . . "

(yeah, not PC anymore, but funny back in the day)

Dodgy

lol, when Raylene calls me and it begins with "your son", I know he shit the bed somewhere down the line.

(January 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: I've never understood the appeal of reading while you're on the toilet.

Sometimes business takes a while to finish. I've never understood the appeal of counting the tiles on the bathroom walls. I sometimes post here while crapping ... true shitposting.

As far as legal marriage... it's a terrible contract to enter into from a financial perspective.

And don't even get me started on people in the armed forces who get married for the "financial benefits."

At 23, I love being single. I rarely crave this type of affection you speak about and when I do it's usually more sexual than anything else. I love every girl I've ever met and that will never change, but it doesn't mean I want to get serious with anyone at this point in my life. Single life is freedom. I have friends who are in their early 20s and have been with someone since middle school. They don't even know how to operate as a single person at 20 something years old and that's kind of sad.

I'm sure I will settle down one day, but I can't say I want children or ever will. But marriage as a legal contract? Fuck no. I don't need the state to tell me I love someone and want to be with them forever. That's insane.
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

(January 30, 2017 at 3:27 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(January 30, 2017 at 3:09 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Are you sure he's pooping? Wink

Haha. Well he always takes one of his stupid star wars novels in there with him (whichever one he's on), or the news paper. So unless he has a fetish (apart from the one I already know about), he's pooping. Oh yeah, that and the smell.

(January 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: I've never understood the appeal of reading while you're on the toilet.

Pretty sure reading on the shitter is married-guy code for rubbing one out.  Is he saving enough for you, Cath-y?
Maybe he's texting his side chick

*hides*
Whaa? I have regular poo each morning. It is about the most constant thing in my life.
There is no favourite thing about being single for me. I absolutely fucking hate it and that makes me resent people who are not single, because they are a reminder of when I was someone's prince. I can't even join in with talk about sex encounters or anything, because I genuinely have no memory of what that's like. I haven't been kissed in seven years, I never get to wake up next to a pretty face, and what little sex I have had was with prostitutes (and I literally felt nothing, so I've had to fake it). Dating sites are a washout, craigslist is a waste of time, and friends literally don't want to know.

If you're not single, please value every blessed moment of it.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite thing to get at Subway? bad_art 18 722 June 28, 2024 at 10:28 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Who's your favorite serial killer? Silver 9 870 October 6, 2022 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  What's your favorite Weather app? Jehanne 13 1400 July 20, 2022 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The best thing about ____________ ( fill in blank) onlinebiker 3 394 March 13, 2022 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Your favorite species. Brian37 43 2841 August 11, 2021 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Brian37
  I just found the coolest thing on the planet The Valkyrie 5 712 July 14, 2021 at 7:08 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  One thing I hate about the human language. Brian37 13 1408 June 25, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  What's your most fanboy item(s)? Gawdzilla Sama 26 1271 September 6, 2020 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Your favorite meat approximation? Gawdzilla Sama 31 2205 August 29, 2020 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The good thing about being forgetful and bills.... Brian37 13 928 July 25, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet