Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 23, 2024, 5:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
morality is subjective and people don't have free will
RE: morality is subjective and people don't have free will
(May 17, 2017 at 7:53 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Original sin, is best described as the fact that we will all do things that are wrong if given the chance to.

While we may not agree on religion, I'm sure we all agree that no one is perfectly good and none of us have never done anything wrong.

I may not be able to say I've never done wrong, but I can say I've never sinned. Not once, ever.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(May 17, 2017 at 10:46 pm)Whateverist Wrote:
(May 17, 2017 at 9:06 pm)Orochi Wrote: Indeed Whateverist

almost none of our reasoning capacity comes to us from birth infants are irrational, illogical, impulsive, Insensitive , creatures most if none of this innate to us we have to learn it .

But please tell me how any of that is 'sin'.  Glad I'm not obliged to sign off on that like some poor believers.

I never said it did . I was saying that morals like many things are baked entirely in .  Thus these kids are not evil they just lack control . As I repeated in a later post.

(May 17, 2017 at 10:59 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote:
(May 17, 2017 at 7:53 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Original sin, is best described as the fact that we will all do things that are wrong if given the chance to.

While we may not agree on religion, I'm sure we all agree that no one is perfectly good and none of us have never done anything wrong.

I may not be able to say I've never done wrong, but I can say I've never sinned. Not once, ever.

let's correct this statement

That's it's a fact we all can act in ways that are against values . That neither entails sin . Nor is the imperfection of human moral reasoning
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(May 17, 2017 at 10:59 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote:

Sin is simply the religious term used for an act that is wrong. If we both agree that no person is perfectly good, we have more in common than you'd think. Regardless of whether i call it original sin or not.

(May 17, 2017 at 11:00 pm)Orochi Wrote:
(May 17, 2017 at 10:46 pm)Whateverist Wrote: [quote='The Gentleman Bastard' pid='1554292' dateline='1495076351']

let's correct this statement

That's it's a fact we all can act in ways that are against values . That neither entails sin . Nor is the imperfection of human moral reasoning

Again, this is just a difference in semantics and terminology. When we get down to it, the fact is we agree on the basic principle here.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Hmmm . . .

has your vorlon sinned ??

Panic Panic Panic Panic
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 17, 2017 at 11:06 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(May 17, 2017 at 10:59 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote: I may not be able to say I've never done wrong, but I can say I've never sinned. Not once, ever.

Sin is simply the religious term used for an act that is wrong. If we both agree that no person is perfectly good, we have more in common than you'd think. Regardless of whether i call it original sin or not.

(May 17, 2017 at 11:00 pm)Orochi Wrote: let's correct this statement

Again, this is just a difference in semantics and terminology. When we get down to it, the fact is we agree on the basic principle here.

No I fear we don't
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(May 17, 2017 at 11:00 pm)Orochi Wrote:
(May 17, 2017 at 10:46 pm)Whateverist Wrote: But please tell me how any of that is 'sin'.  Glad I'm not obliged to sign off on that like some poor believers.

I never said it did . I was saying that morals like many things are baked entirely in .  Thus these kids are not evil they just lack control . As I repeated in a later post.

Didn't mean to imply you did. Just some unintended ambiguity.
(May 17, 2017 at 11:06 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Sin is simply the religious term used for an act that is wrong.

Merriam-Webster disagrees. So does allboutgod.com.

And, I have to agree with Aurora. Original sin is among the most repugnant and morally bankrupt ideas religion has foisted upon humanity.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(May 17, 2017 at 11:13 pm)Whateverist Wrote:
(May 17, 2017 at 11:00 pm)Orochi Wrote: I never said it did . I was saying that morals like many things are baked entirely in .  Thus these kids are not evil they just lack control . As I repeated in a later post.

Didn't mean to imply you did.  Just some unintended ambiguity.

Sorry

Inuit Proverb

(May 17, 2017 at 11:16 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote:
(May 17, 2017 at 11:06 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Sin is simply the religious term used for an act that is wrong.

And, I have to agree with Aurora. Original sin is among the most repugnant and morally bankrupt ideas religion has foisted upon humanity.

Both say the same basic thing - an act that is immoral. Only difference is God/religion is in the picture.

As for original sin, is the acknowledgement that we're all bound to do something wrong at some point in our life really that bad? You just said you agreed with it. You just don't agree with calling it original sin.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(May 17, 2017 at 11:16 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote:

Indeed the idea of having broken gods laws (divine command theory ) is definitely not what I mean by values and acting in contrary to them on a realist frame work

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stuff you have done (that most people haven' t) onlinebiker 54 5142 October 4, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Should poor people have kids? BrokenQuill92 78 7632 November 29, 2019 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Not another morality post!! Mechaghostman2 5 865 February 18, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do you have friends who don’t share your political views? Losty 13 2076 November 19, 2018 at 12:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 1161 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  Cordless headphones, I don't have the words... Gawdzilla Sama 9 1791 July 9, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Dreaming is free,.....and evidence free... Brian37 6 1195 October 2, 2017 at 4:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How Long Does Someone Have to be Dead Before People stop Referring to them as Late? Rhondazvous 10 3435 May 18, 2017 at 11:58 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Have our lizard people overlords gotten lazy, or arrogant? CapnAwesome 5 1412 March 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Real world example of "I don't even know what I don't even know" ErGingerbreadMandude 24 4473 January 25, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA