Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 4:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A rational explanation for hell?
RE: A rational explanation for hell?
(July 22, 2011 at 1:08 pm)Epimethean Wrote: I blame Dante for the development of this bullshit notion. It took art-not science-to make hell into a full tilt nastiness, and that fact underscores exactly why the notion is pure rubbish. Aside from extortion and coercion, hell has zero value philosophically. It is a political expedient now.

Dante was writing a work of fiction and labeled it as such. In fact, the intent was political satire.

Jesus in the Gospels described a cruel torture where a rich man just wanted a drop of water as he was being cooked alive in the flames. Muhammad came along and created a Hell that would make Dante's look like "Heck" in comparison. Don't be too hard on Dante.
(July 24, 2011 at 6:39 pm)C Rod Wrote: You wont know till your dead so how are you certain when you are alive?

Memory is stored in the brain and accessed from it. Furthermore, memory can be lost if the brain is damaged, either through injuries, illness (like Alzheimer's) or simply old age. Like a damaged hard drive, some files can be lost if the drive is damaged or formatted.

Knowing that memory is lost from damage to the brain, what would be any basis of hope that memory would survive the process of death, which destroys the brain utterly?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Death is much like being asleep. Except there is no dreaming and you will never wake up. Big Grin
What's so scary about that? You won't even be aware that you're dead. Space and time will no longer have any meaning to you. Not so bad.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(July 25, 2011 at 8:58 am)Ace Otana Wrote: Death is much like being asleep. Except there is no dreaming and you will never wake up. Big Grin
What's so scary about that? You won't even be aware that you're dead. Space and time will no longer have any meaning to you. Not so bad.

How could you possibly know you haven't experienced it yet, besides if it were what you believe death to be, then after your gone I would agree, no big deal, however it is getting to that point that brings the terrifying fear, I've experienced christians dying and seen peace and I've seen others who feared death with all their being, so maybe you might want to rethink death when it is the finial stage as you seem to believe.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(July 25, 2011 at 1:15 pm)Godschild Wrote: How could you possibly know you haven't experienced it yet, besides if it were what you believe death to be, then after your gone I would agree, no big deal, however it is getting to that point that brings the terrifying fear, I've experienced christians dying and seen peace and I've seen others who feared death with all their being, so maybe you might want to rethink death when it is the finial stage as you seem to believe.

My mother and father were both atheists. They went to their deaths in peace. They'd both lived full and productive lives, had found love with each other and raised a reasonably functional family and each accomplished what they wanted to in their professional lives as well.

You're right that people when they're lucid and dying are either at peace or terrified, one of two extremes. The difference lies not in their confidence of a happy afterlife but rather of their contentment in the life they'd lived.
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"

Quote:How could you possibly know you haven't experienced it yet,
I've been dead for billions of years. So have you. Hasn't bothered you at all though has it?
We already know what it's like to be dead. I can understand why people believe in some kind of afterlife. They've fallen in love with being alive. But I'm afraid it is temporary. It's entirely up to you whether you can accept that or not.

Quote:besides if it were what you believe death to be, then after your gone I would agree, no big deal, however it is getting to that point that brings the terrifying fear, I've experienced christians dying and seen peace and I've seen others who feared death with all their being, so maybe you might want to rethink death when it is the finial stage as you seem to believe.

What are you afraid of? Truthfully? You afraid you might end up in hell? You afraid of closing your eyes for the last time?
I do not fear such things. Death is a natural part of life. Death is simply the end of biological function. Take each day as it comes, do not dwell on your impending doom. For it is unavoidable.

When I'm good and old and my body tells me when it's nearly time. I shall embrace peace and allow death to take me without fear or pointless resistance. When I die, I will be beyond space and time. Billions of years would pass like seconds. Just as hours pass by when you sleep. Time will no longer have any meaning to you. Death is just the ending of life and ultimately, your conciousness. You won't even be aware that you're dead. Just as you were not aware of anything before birth. I find it interesting, not scary.

What are you afraid of?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Quote:Dante was writing a work of fiction and labeled it as such.

So was Dan Brown but that didn't stop xtian shitheads from losing their minds about his book.
(July 25, 2011 at 1:15 pm)Godschild Wrote: How could you possibly know you haven't experienced it yet, besides if it were what you believe death to be, then after your gone I would agree, no big deal, however it is getting to that point that brings the terrifying fear, I've experienced christians dying and seen peace and I've seen others who feared death with all their being, so maybe you might want to rethink death when it is the finial stage as you seem to believe.

Why fear something that is completely inevitable? The only reason the process of getting to death is fearful for people is because they are completely unprepared for it. How exactly would a belief in the afterlife cure this? After all, no one could really be sure they had done enough in their life to placate your god, and the fear of hell would just bring anxiety in an already difficult time. Perhaps the greatest thing about Buddhism is it teaches you to confront this reality head on instead of making up silly scenarios to give you a false sense of comfort. Your religion could take some advice from that one.

The human race needs to deal with reality instead of living in a state of delusion.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 25, 2011 at 8:29 am)DeistPaladin Wrote:
(July 22, 2011 at 1:08 pm)Epimethean Wrote: I blame Dante for the development of this bullshit notion. It took art-not science-to make hell into a full tilt nastiness, and that fact underscores exactly why the notion is pure rubbish. Aside from extortion and coercion, hell has zero value philosophically. It is a political expedient now.

Dante was writing a work of fiction and labeled it as such. In fact, the intent was political satire.

Jesus in the Gospels described a cruel torture where a rich man just wanted a drop of water as he was being cooked alive in the flames. Muhammad came along and created a Hell that would make Dante's look like "Heck" in comparison. Don't be too hard on Dante.
(July 24, 2011 at 6:39 pm)C Rod Wrote: You wont know till your dead so how are you certain when you are alive?

Memory is stored in the brain and accessed from it. Furthermore, memory can be lost if the brain is damaged, either through injuries, illness (like Alzheimer's) or simply old age. Like a damaged hard drive, some files can be lost if the drive is damaged or formatted.

Knowing that memory is lost from damage to the brain, what would be any basis of hope that memory would survive the process of death, which destroys the brain utterly?
A hope that the view of the dead and said body from the living is supremely different from the view of the One that never dies. I will surely die but what happens after that exact moment of loss of cognitive action in this world is a mystery to the living. It perplexes me that we do not know it and its mystery has been revealed to billions with never the revealing of its secret. Like Ace said it is very interesting and fascinating but i have to ask could it ever be understood could the secret ever be made known? Or is a presume nothing for the sake of convenience or lack of evidence?
"Its not what your looking at that matters, its what you see." -Henry David Thoreau
♪Oh, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get Lost in my mind Lost in my Mind Yes, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get lost I get lost Oh, I get♪ -The Head and the Heart
"You are wise, witty and wonderful, but you spend too much time reading this sort of stuff.”- Frank Crane
You're just going to keep stating that death is mysterious? Waste of time.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 25, 2011 at 7:39 pm)C Rod Wrote: A hope that the view of the dead and said body from the living is supremely different from the view of the One that never dies. I will surely die but what happens after that exact moment of loss of cognitive action in this world is a mystery to the living. It perplexes me that we do not know it and its mystery has been revealed to billions with never the revealing of its secret. Like Ace said it is very interesting and fascinating but i have to ask could it ever be understood could the secret ever be made known? Or is a presume nothing for the sake of convenience or lack of evidence?

Huh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Explanation Required by the 12 guys? + the secret. Ferrocyanide 26 1909 December 20, 2021 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Evolutionary explanation of religion cyber_freddy 33 2854 December 25, 2020 at 6:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  HELL or not HELL? Little Rik 91 12143 November 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Rational Theism Foxaèr 17 5457 May 2, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, vaahaa 19 2873 September 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Is theism more rational in a pre-scientific context? Tea Earl Grey Hot 6 1588 March 7, 2017 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  No rational case for God = increasingly desperate attacks on atheists Mudhammam 58 15072 July 19, 2014 at 12:11 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Possible explanation of supernatural religious visitations BlackMason 15 4297 May 13, 2014 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - thunderhulk 30 7956 December 16, 2013 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - Jaya Jagannath 15 6466 October 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Jackalope