Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 5:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are some theists afraid of atheists?
RE: Are some theists afraid of atheists?
(August 12, 2017 at 9:34 pm)Succubus Wrote:
(August 12, 2017 at 8:55 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: On personal level I just feel very very sad for atheists. At the cultural level I believe that atheism is a corrosive and undermines the core values of Western civilization such as human dignity,  civil rights, aesthetic hierarchies.

And straight in to the troll bin folder you go.

Hm? Neo is not a troll. He's a respected member here and has been for years.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Theism undermines human dignity. Especially with the way they treat lesbians, gays, transgenders, and all sorts of non-believers.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Quote:Because I believe none of those values can be sustained by paradigms that devolve into nihilism, which is where atheism leads. Without some kind of transcendent reference point none of those values can be rationally justified.

Then your belief is wrong .

Quote:On personal level I just feel very very sad for atheists. At the cultural level I believe that atheism is a corrosive and undermines the core values of Western civilization such as human dignity, civil rights, aesthetic hierarchies.

Your sadness is Condescending. Again your belief is false. Western civilization does not rest on your magic . it never has and it never will .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(August 12, 2017 at 7:43 am)Little Rik Wrote:
(August 12, 2017 at 5:56 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: I'm talking about theists that discriminate against atheists. They believe that they will go to Heaven, while atheists go to Hell. So they think that in the end they will win. So why are they so angry at atheists? It might be human nature to be self centered and to be an asshole, but is it more to it? Are they actually afraid that atheists might be right? Are they afraid that the majority will become atheists and they will become the minority? Are they afraid that their enormous egos will be hurt?

As there are theists that......discriminate against atheists there are also atheists that discriminate against theists.
It goes both ways At.
I am theist but I don't believe in hell.
I believe that at the end when people will have sorted out their own problems then they all will achieve the nirvana whether they are theists or ex-atheists or ex-criminals or ex-religious fanatics.  Indubitably

That doesn't even answer his questions. Discrimination and being afraid are not mutually exclusive to one another. Here are some of the questions:

Why are theists so angry at atheists?
Are theists afraid atheists might actually be right?
Are theists afraid that atheists will become the majority and theists will be the minority?

Come on LR - you can spin your word salad better than that now. At least make an attempt to address the questions.

(August 13, 2017 at 8:43 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(August 12, 2017 at 9:34 pm)Succubus Wrote: And straight in to the troll bin folder you go.

That was before he got dumbed down.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(August 12, 2017 at 12:46 pm)Die Atheistin Wrote:
(August 12, 2017 at 7:43 am)Little Rik Wrote: As there are theists that......discriminate against atheists there are also atheists that discriminate against theists.
It goes both ways At.
I believe that at the end when people will have sorted out their own problems then they all will achieve the nirvana whether they are theists or ex-atheists or ex-criminals or ex-religious fanatics.  Indubitably

Yes, there is discrimination both ways, but usually religious discriminate. I'm glad that you are an exception, you wish for a happy end for everyone! Smile

Is not a question of wishing At.
It is rather obvious that there is no other way but up.
God can not do mistakes or He wouldn't be God so imperfections are out and hell is out.  Lightbulb

(August 14, 2017 at 5:18 am)Nymphadora Wrote:
(August 12, 2017 at 7:43 am)Little Rik Wrote: As there are theists that......discriminate against atheists there are also atheists that discriminate against theists.
It goes both ways At.

That doesn't even answer his questions. Discrimination and being afraid are not mutually exclusive to one another. Here are some of the questions:

Wrong question Nym.
You should have asked........WHY SOME THEISTS ARE SO ANGRY AT ATHEISTS.
I am not God that can read in people mind.
I can only guess.
Some theist are religious fanatics.
Some can even kill anyone who doesn't follow their religion like those guys in black that we have seen
around the Middle east and elsewhere.
Other do not kill but pray God that the atheists may go to hell.
Other mind their own business.
Other like me argue for the pleasure of a challenge that I usually win.  Smile

Quote:Are theists afraid atheists might actually be right?

Maybe a small minority may think in that way but the great majority is not afraid at all although I can not read in their mind and speak for them.
They are rather positive that they are right.
I personally I am 1000% positive.

[Image: positivephil.png]

Quote:Are theists afraid that atheists will become the majority and theists will be the minority?

At the moment the trend is that materialism is taking over.
Most people are more concern to get the latest tec. in mobile phones that caring about possible wars, starvation and climate changes.
These people seems to be the majority rather that atheists or theists which are in the minority.
People care less and less whether God exist or not.
The time where people will care about God will have to come yet.
It usually come when people will see that wars, starvation take hold and the system in place is collapsing.

Quote:Come on LR - you can spin your word salad better than that now. At least make an attempt to address the questions.

I hope you like my salad.  I'm all ears!
(August 14, 2017 at 7:18 am)Little Rik Wrote:
(August 12, 2017 at 12:46 pm)Die Atheistin Wrote: Yes, there is discrimination both ways, but usually religious discriminate. I'm glad that you are an exception, you wish for a happy end for everyone! Smile

Is not a question of wishing At.
It is rather obvious that there is no other way but up.
God can not do mistakes or He wouldn't be God so imperfections are out and hell is out.  Lightbulb

(August 14, 2017 at 5:18 am)Nymphadora Wrote: That doesn't even answer his questions. Discrimination and being afraid are not mutually exclusive to one another. Here are some of the questions:

Wrong question Nym.
You should have asked........WHY SOME THEISTS ARE SO ANGRY AT ATHEISTS.
I am not God that can read in people mind.
I can only guess.
Some theist are religious fanatics.
Some can even kill anyone who doesn't follow their religion like those guys in black that we have seen
around the Middle east and elsewhere.
Other do not kill but pray God that the atheists may go to hell.
Other mind their own business.
Other like me argue for the pleasure of a challenge that I usually win.  Smile

Quote:Are theists afraid atheists might actually be right?

Maybe a small minority may think in that way but the great majority is not afraid at all although I can not read in their mind and speak for them.
They are rather positive that they are right.
I personally I am 1000% positive.

[Image: positivephil.png]

Quote:Are theists afraid that atheists will become the majority and theists will be the minority?

At the moment the trend is that materialism is taking over.
Most people are more concern to get the latest tec. in mobile phones that caring about possible wars, starvation and climate changes.
These people seems to be the majority rather that atheists or theists which are in the minority.
People care less and less whether God exist or not.
The time where people will care about God will have to come yet.
It usually come when people will see that wars, starvation take hold and the system in place is collapsing.

Quote:Come on LR - you can spin your word salad better than that now. At least make an attempt to address the questions.

I hope you like my salad.  I'm all ears!

I don't like it. As usual, it's pretty tasteless.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(August 12, 2017 at 9:34 pm)Succubus Wrote: And straight in to the troll bin folder you go.

Why should his vile claim basically saying atheists cannot support a free west be "respected". You have also been a long time member here but we have never heard you say anything that close to being vile.

No sorry, how do you expect us to respond when someone is basically calling you a piece of shit?

Neo is simply full of shit. Atheists most certainly can and do support western values in political pluralism and an open society and a free press.

Neo was sold old cold war bullshit, and nothing to be valued. 

We do not value monsters like Hitler or Po Pot or Stalin. He is merely upset that some people don't buy his invisible sky hero claim. That is his baggage not ours.
(August 12, 2017 at 8:55 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: On personal level I just feel very very sad for atheists. At the cultural level I believe that atheism is a corrosive and undermines the core values of Western civilization such as human dignity,  civil rights, aesthetic hierarchies.

You ought to try an educated opinion.

(August 12, 2017 at 9:12 pm)emjay Wrote:

Well FWIW I wasn't thinking of you, or any other theist on this site for that matter, in my own reply to this thread... I was thinking of the sort of theist that wouldn't dare set foot on a site like this and engage with atheists, like some I know.

As to your cultural problems with atheism... how do you figure all of those?

It's magic.  He disagrees with it, so it must be evil incarnate.  "Figuring" never had anything to do with it.

(August 12, 2017 at 11:34 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(August 12, 2017 at 9:12 pm)emjay Wrote: Well FWIW I wasn't thinking of you, or any other theist on this site for that matter, in my own reply to this thread... I was thinking of the sort of theist that wouldn't dare set foot on a site like this and engage with atheists, like some I know.

As to your cultural problems with atheism... how do you figure all of those?

Because I believe none of those values can be sustained by paradigms that devolve into nihilism, which is where atheism leads. Without some kind of transcendent reference point none of those values can be rationally justified.

Another of your beliefs shown to be crap.  Got any more?
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."  - Samuel Porter Putnam

What he posted about atheists was condescending and blanketed, yes. But there are many people here who post condescending and blanketed things about theists quite frequently as well. Personally I don't like either being done. But if you're ok with one side of the fence doing it, it doesn't make much sense to call out the other side for doing it as well. Otherwise it's a double standard and a bit hypocritical.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

One doesn't rule out the other.  And I haven't seen any posts worthy of respect.
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."  - Samuel Porter Putnam

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3536 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Where do we go when we die and are you afraid? Shazzalovesnovels 271 24484 August 6, 2020 at 8:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 19455 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Atheists are emotionally stronger than theists Alexmahone 92 14050 June 21, 2018 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2250 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why people afraid to ask questions about their beliefs? Torin 21 4616 August 13, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why Some Atheists Reject Morality: The Other Side of the Coin Rhondazvous 20 5287 June 27, 2015 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: Easy Guns
  Some theists are just to far gone dyresand 36 7723 June 7, 2015 at 11:35 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Why are Atheists afraid to insult Islam and Jews? superAtheistnut 107 17217 April 22, 2015 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  UK says atheists more moral than theists robvalue 21 4972 January 20, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: robvalue