Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 12:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The benefits of being christian. Where are there???
RE: The benefits of being christian. Where are there???
(January 24, 2018 at 7:17 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: It boggles my mind that theists put so much energy into the idea that human love and empathy aren't good enough. Then they defeat their own purpose by presenting  that gruesome, bloodthirsty god as the source of what they think is love.

If I catalogued the unloving acts of god recorded in the bible, these theists will defend such acts. In so doing, they betray the fact that they don't have the slightest idea of what love is.

Great    Yes.  Exactly. Good point, Rhonda.  I've been mulling over this a bit lately.
It's a bit of a derailment of the thread, but this points to why I think that fundamentalism is detrimental to humanity.  Fundamentalists have their entire world-view based upon a set of beliefs, the stories in an old book, and the support of like-minded individuals.  It's tribal.  There is security in that insular group. But when someone questions that world-view it doesn't simply elicit cognitive dissonance - it is perceived as an outright attack. THEY are right.  Anyone who is not part of their tribe is evil and not even considered human.

-- Now -- while I'm skeptical of all religion, not just fundamentalism, I have to note that I know Christians who are wonderful people, they don't preach, they try to treat everyone with love and respect.  But when they do talk about "god is love and loves everybody and wants the best for all and there are many paths to god" I have to bite my tongue so I don't ask them if they have actually read their Bible.  

Dan Mager wrote an article that touches on this in Psychology Today, and said: "For someone who is emotionally attached to the need to be right, all divergent perspectives, ideas, suggestions, and actions must be “wrong.” The need to be right convinces him or her of the correctness of his or her approach, while attachment to this end serves to justify the means used to facilitate it. When this dynamic is acted out it creates suffering for those caught in its wake—most often, partners and family members, including children."  
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/som...r-be-happy
    It reminds me of some memes about Trump supporters - they list a huge list of crimes he could be caught committing, and his supporters would still defend him.  Why?  Their preachers tell them that they voted the right way.  Their biases tell them they voted the right way.  It's not remotely possible that they were wrong.
    Things went down the same way over slavery . . .
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(January 24, 2018 at 8:45 pm)drfuzzy Wrote:
(January 24, 2018 at 7:17 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: It boggles my mind that theists put so much energy into the idea that human love and empathy aren't good enough. Then they defeat their own purpose by presenting  that gruesome, bloodthirsty god as the source of what they think is love.

If I catalogued the unloving acts of god recorded in the bible, these theists will defend such acts. In so doing, they betray the fact that they don't have the slightest idea of what love is.

Great    Yes.  Exactly. Good point, Rhonda.  I've been mulling over this a bit lately.
It's a bit of a derailment of the thread, but this points to why I think that fundamentalism is detrimental to humanity.  Fundamentalists have their entire world-view based upon a set of beliefs, the stories in an old book, and the support of like-minded individuals.  It's tribal.  There is security in that insular group. But when someone questions that world-view it doesn't simply elicit cognitive dissonance - it is perceived as an outright attack. THEY are right.  Anyone who is not part of their tribe is evil and not even considered human.

-- Now -- while I'm skeptical of all religion, not just fundamentalism, I have to note that I know Christians who are wonderful people, they don't preach, they try to treat everyone with love and respect.  But when they do talk about "god is love and loves everybody and wants the best for all and there are many paths to god" I have to bite my tongue so I don't ask them if they have actually read their Bible.  

Dan Mager wrote an article that touches on this in Psychology Today, and said: "For someone who is emotionally attached to the need to be right, all divergent perspectives, ideas, suggestions, and actions must be “wrong.” The need to be right convinces him or her of the correctness of his or her approach, while attachment to this end serves to justify the means used to facilitate it. When this dynamic is acted out it creates suffering for those caught in its wake—most often, partners and family members, including children."  
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/som...r-be-happy
    It reminds me of some memes about Trump supporters - they list a huge list of crimes he could be caught committing, and his supporters would still defend him.  Why?  Their preachers tell them that they voted the right way.  Their biases tell them they voted the right way.  It's not remotely possible that they were wrong.
    Things went down the same way over slavery . . .
I'm sorry to pick you Dude! But, I am a full fledged theist that has approached the language of God's Word scientifically. What I have found is inexcusable nonsense and complete manipulation because they all must support a theology that is non-existent. Theology should be the science of God but, it has become the showcase of man's goofy ideas.

When I approach people on these threads, it is from the perspective of what I found and not form the perspective that has been taught for centuries. Which teaching is aimless without life. If no one interacts with life then: how can they teach life being dead?

The whole bible is about living that life that God promised in His Word and is available no where else except God and even without written Word.

So then life living is more important then the Words we read! Because we are more then a Word!
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker. Well...she's not my girlfriend "yet".

I discovered a new vitamin that fights cancer. I call it ...B9

I also invented a diet pill. It works great but had to quit taking it because of the side effects. Turns out my penis is larger and my hair grew back. And whoa! If you think my hair is nice!

When does size truly matter? When it's TOO big!

I'm currently working on a new pill I call "Destenze". However...now my shoes don't fit.
Yup, that was pretty goofy.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 24, 2018 at 10:57 pm)Haipule Wrote:
(January 24, 2018 at 8:45 pm)drfuzzy Wrote:

Quote:I am a full fledged theist that has approached the language of God's Word scientifically. What I have found is inexcusable nonsense and complete manipulation because they all must support a theology that is non-existent.

I'm sure that I'm going to regret asking this question - but oh well.
If it's "God's Word" why has "god" allowed it to be riddled with inexcusable nonsense and manipulation?  Why so many "translation errors"?  Why is interpretation so vague that 12 preachers of the same denomination will give 12 different interpretations about what they THINK a passage says?  Why is God shown as an immoral, evil, brutal bronze age war god?  Why is god 404 not found anywhere, even to those who pray and read the book daily?

Nope.  I don't think there is anything special hidden in those pages.  And if god exists, humans certainly shouldn't have to study ancient Greek and Aramaic and ancient Hebrew to get to whatever "real" inspiration that you think you have found.  The book desperately needs a re-write, and we need to have "god" come down here and make the corrections in front of TV cameras.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
You do have to wonder what kind of god writes a magic book in a language it, presumably, knows will be long dead before 99% of the people who will ever believe in it will live.....and that only a fraction of those will ever actually read it's masterwork.

I'd say he's a masochist, but he did get himself nailed to that board... so that may not be so surprising.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 25, 2018 at 12:26 am)drfuzzy Wrote:
(January 24, 2018 at 10:57 pm)Haipule Wrote:

I'm sure that I'm going to regret asking this question - but oh well.
If it's "God's Word" why has "god" allowed it to be riddled with inexcusable nonsense and manipulation?  Why so many "translation errors"?  Why is interpretation so vague that 12 preachers of the same denomination will give 12 different interpretations about what they THINK a passage says?  Why is God shown as an immoral, evil, brutal bronze age war god?  Why is god 404 not found anywhere, even to those who pray and read the book daily?

Nope.  I don't think there is anything special hidden in those pages.  And if god exists, humans certainly shouldn't have to study ancient Greek and Aramaic and ancient Hebrew to get to whatever "real" inspiration that you think you have found.  The book desperately needs a re-write, and we need to have "god" come down here and make the corrections in front of TV cameras.
It doesn't need a "rewrite"! It is perfect--trust me I am a scientist! When someone said Father Idiot tells us what it means then you are only arguing against Father Idiot--not the bible! NOT ME!

That's the problem, idn'it!

So too you, the bible is just a "fairytale"! Whatever the fuck you think: which really means nothing to nobody right? Except to people whom believe in fairytales!

Like the magic book of science with its iron earth core and atomic nature. Can you even believe this fuckin' shit: they will actually tell you that you evolved from apes? In fact, they will actually tell you there is such thing as gravity they have never proved nor seen!

Talk about magic! Magic evolution, magic sciences! Talk about magic books of fucking unbelievable fairytales! You actually believe that shit?
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker. Well...she's not my girlfriend "yet".

I discovered a new vitamin that fights cancer. I call it ...B9

I also invented a diet pill. It works great but had to quit taking it because of the side effects. Turns out my penis is larger and my hair grew back. And whoa! If you think my hair is nice!

When does size truly matter? When it's TOO big!

I'm currently working on a new pill I call "Destenze". However...now my shoes don't fit.
(January 24, 2018 at 3:21 pm)drfuzzy Wrote:
(January 24, 2018 at 11:01 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Unbalanced, unguided, and chaotic love is the definition of evil. And if you don't recognize the source and goal of love, the highest value, aka God, well the shoe fits.

And Jesus like Samuel (name of God) was the word of God and his name and light in the world, if you hate what morality in essence is and in essence what is always it's path (a leader appointed by God), you are outside the door of light and are just using it to deceive yourself or others or a combination.

You can't hide from the vision of God and he is what defines you.

Love . . . (any variety?) . . . is the definition of evil?  
Almost everyone acts on love, good and evil people alike.
There are conditions to make love meaningful otherwise chaotic unguided and unbalanced love is what evil always come down to and source of oppression to the oppressed.
It is what blinds people to the truth and makes them take side of falsehood, where they can't distinguish the worse of all people from the best.
Confused in this state, they become apathetic and self-centered, and self-deceiving in that they are good.
(January 25, 2018 at 7:05 am)MysticKnight Wrote:
(January 24, 2018 at 3:21 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Love . . . (any variety?) . . . is the definition of evil?  
There are conditions to make love meaningful otherwise chaotic unguided and unbalanced love is what evil always come down to and source of oppression to the oppressed.
It is what blinds people to the truth and makes them take side of falsehood, where they can't distinguish the worse of all people from the best.
Confused in this state, they become apathetic and self-centered, and self-deceiving in that they are good.

Sounds like someone I know.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 25, 2018 at 2:00 am)Haipule Wrote:
(January 25, 2018 at 12:26 am)drfuzzy Wrote:

It doesn't need a "rewrite"! It is perfect--trust me I am a scientist! When someone said Father Idiot tells us what it means then you are only arguing against Father Idiot--not the bible! NOT ME!

That's the problem, idn'it!

So too you, the bible is just a "fairytale"! Whatever the fuck you think: which really means nothing to nobody right? Except to people whom believe in fairytales!

Like the magic book of science with its iron earth core and atomic nature. Can you even believe this fuckin' shit: they will actually tell you that you evolved from apes? In fact, they will actually tell you there is such thing as gravity they have never proved nor seen!

Talk about magic! Magic evolution, magic sciences! Talk about magic books of fucking unbelievable fairytales! You actually believe that shit?

Yeah right.   Dodgy    Rolleyes   
So, you come onto an atheist forum, to assert that you have studied the Bible (which xtians think for some reason is god's word) and that you understand it in a way that no trained theologian from any discipline can.  You have studied it "scientifically".  You know old languages and they don't.   
Well, first, who cares?  We're atheists. There can't be "god's word" in any form unless there is a god, and nobody seems to be able to provide ANY proof that it exists.  Just for starters.
And despite constantly crowing about your superiority, you have provided nothing but trolling and boasting.  Now, if, it could be clearly shown that a manuscript from the year 300 exists which undeniably says that "in the years 2016 - 2018, American Xtians are going to prove to the world that they worship only social and political power" -- hey, I'd perk up and give it another look.  But you have given us nothing.  Just like all the other preachy trolls here.

What I "believe"?  Nothing.  I accept hard facts and research.  Which, by your post above, you clearly need to study.

(January 25, 2018 at 7:05 am)MysticKnight Wrote:
(January 24, 2018 at 3:21 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Love . . . (any variety?) . . . is the definition of evil?  

"There are conditions to make love meaningful otherwise chaotic unguided and unbalanced love is what evil always come down to and source of oppression to the oppressed."
English translation needed.
At least you dropped the inane assertion that all love comes from god.
(January 25, 2018 at 8:54 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(January 25, 2018 at 7:05 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Almost everyone acts on love, good and evil people alike.

Sounds like someone I know.

Indeed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 90668 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Are there any Christian proselytizers left in this subforum? Jehanne 157 22155 October 8, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Should I tell my parents I faked being christian? Der/die AtheistIn 26 5754 January 15, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Is there another motivation for christian belief? brewer 118 17816 September 23, 2016 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: TubbyTubby
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7549 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  What makes the Christian God different from thr thousands of other Gods out there? bluemonday 66 12357 March 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  How many christian beliebers are there? Belac Enrobso 9 1993 December 29, 2013 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Has anyone ever found a way to reconsile being Gay/Bi/Lesbien and being a Christian? pop_punks_not_dead 102 43937 February 18, 2013 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Rant of logic: There is no such thing as a "Christian" GateofZion 53 21527 January 5, 2013 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6385 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej