Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 9:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God does not determine right and wrong
RE: God does not determine right and wrong
(February 3, 2018 at 4:13 pm)Khemikal Wrote: No one "disagrees with their god".  Ask around.  They simply find ways to make their god agree with them.  

Quote:Of course, if none of them make sense, (those gods and religions), then it makes most sense to accept none of them.

Any "sense" is granted, not found...and in that regard every religion -can- make sense.  It's what we call internal logic.  Things that are patently illogical can still be internally logical.

No one finds that christianity (or any other religion) agrees with them, or that it makes sense on it's own.  People whittle a christianity that does, and does...that's why you'll never find a jot and tittle believer, even among the group that swears they believe in every jot and tittle.

So we agree - people make their own decisions about what is right and wrong. If so, we're done here.
There are no atheists in terrorist training camps.

Well I would assume that the majority of people would consider the fact that they would not enjoy being raped. Therefore wouldn’t rape anybody. The ones that don’t are called sociopaths and oddly, they would be way more identifiable and easy to prosecute if it were made “legal”. The quotations are of course because someone somewhere will always be pissed about rape, and if possible strike back with vengeance. So while legal, still would not be without ramifications. If anybody thinks laws determine moral and societal norms fully they are very naive.
(February 3, 2018 at 8:47 pm)Magilla Wrote: So we agree - people make their own decisions about what is right and wrong. If so, we're done here.

Who the hell else would be making them, eh?  Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 4, 2018 at 2:23 am)Jeezypete Wrote: Well I would assume that the majority of people would consider the fact that they would not enjoy being raped. Therefore wouldn’t rape anybody. The ones that don’t are called sociopaths and oddly, they would be way more identifiable and easy to prosecute if it were made “legal”. The quotations are of course because someone somewhere will always be pissed about rape, and if possible strike back with vengeance. So while legal, still would not be without ramifications. If anybody thinks laws determine moral and societal norms fully they are very naive.

What the fuck are you talking about?
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(January 26, 2018 at 11:25 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: I found this in A Universe from Nothing by Lawrence Krauss.

To religious people: If god declared that rape and murder were morally acceptable, would that make them so? 

Most of you would probably say that god would not say such a thing. But why not? 

Because he's given us a conscience that tells most of us that those things are wrong.

If god thought those things were morally acceptable, most of us would find them morally acceptable too.
(February 8, 2018 at 7:19 am)alpha male Wrote:
(January 26, 2018 at 11:25 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: I found this in A Universe from Nothing by Lawrence Krauss.

To religious people: If god declared that rape and murder were morally acceptable, would that make them so? 

Most of you would probably say that god would not say such a thing. But why not? 

Because he's given us a conscience that tells most of us that those things are wrong.

If god thought those things were morally acceptable, most of us would find them morally acceptable too.

We have a conscience, but why do we need a God for that again?
(February 8, 2018 at 9:52 am)Grandizer Wrote: We have a conscience, but why do we need a God for that again?

Considering that OP takes god as a given for this question...what difference does it make? I'll answer: none.
(January 27, 2018 at 11:05 am)polymath257 Wrote: The problem I have in saying that whatever God wants is automatically moral is the number of people who think God is talking to them and think He is telling them to kill their kids.

if God is the standard, and if you really believe God is talking to you, then you *have* to do what the voice in your head says.

And what is that number?

To atheists: if there was something good in and of itself would you choose to recognize it as such?
The recognition of good isn't something I have a choice in anymore than I can choose to recognize that a person is blonde. It seems like a strange question, and even stranger when directed specifically at atheists as though atheism were relevant to the subject?

Do you find that you have any choice in this matter? Do you choose what is good, or do you recognize what is good? Could you choose not to recognize what good you do recognize -as- good?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 8, 2018 at 9:56 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(January 27, 2018 at 11:05 am)polymath257 Wrote: The problem I have in saying that whatever God wants is automatically moral is the number of people who think God is talking to them and think He is telling them to kill their kids.

if God is the standard, and if you really believe God is talking to you, then you *have* to do what the voice in your head says.

And what is that number?

To atheists: if there was something good in and of itself would you choose to recognize it as such?

I would be logically obliged to recognize it as such.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1724 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 4097 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is wrong with FW? Little Rik 126 15203 August 17, 2018 at 4:10 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4706 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Shouldn't the right to die be a human right? ErGingerbreadMandude 174 19175 February 4, 2017 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Not A Poll: Does Motivation Affect Morality? BrianSoddingBoru4 146 16616 May 24, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What is wrong with this premise? Heywood 112 19670 February 21, 2015 at 3:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Does the Christian god have Free Will? Forsaken 0 642 January 20, 2015 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Forsaken
  How we determine facts. Heywood 64 9929 January 8, 2015 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Abortion is morally wrong Arthur123 1121 164465 September 18, 2014 at 2:46 am
Last Post: genkaus