Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 5:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Major Intellectual Issue Most Keeps You From Accepting The Christian Narrative?
RE: What Major Intellectual Issue Most Keeps You From Accepting The Christian Narrative?
Huggy74 Wrote:
Mathilda Wrote:I recognise this as the English language but the chosen words are strung together in a meaningless way. I suspect that there may be a secret code being deployed here.

Meaningless? Really Matilda? Ask yourself why you're the only one in the thread unable to understand what I said... the problem just may be you.

Everyone in the thread noticed that your premise was a bare assertion and that your conclusion was a non-sequitur, except you.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
RE: What Major Intellectual Issue Most Keeps You From Accepting The Christian Narrative?
The main thing is a lack of evidence. But I don't think that's what you mean.

I wish I could say it's the unjust suffering. Or that the supposed justification for the suffering are the actions of Adam and Eve who none of us have ever met.(who I'm now sure never existed)

But what really started me doubting was the realization that the bible's rules can't be followed. I mean, supposedly it's wrong to even look at someone and have sexual thoughts unless you're married to them! That's completely ridiculous especially if you aren't married.

That's what did it. But many other convincing arguments including unjust suffering play a large role.
(February 24, 2018 at 7:03 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(February 24, 2018 at 6:37 am)Mathilda Wrote: I recognise this as the English language but the chosen words are strung together in a meaningless way. I suspect that there may be a secret code being deployed here.

Atheists are not responsible for the most atrocities. 

The holocaust was catholics.(In the US it looks like the protestants want to start up round 2)
The holy wars of the early modern era catholic V protestant
Crusades Catholic V muslim.
The massacre of the cathars, slaughter of "witches" all religiously motivated.
The murder of the maya and Aztecs killing hundreds of millions catholics V whatever the native population believed.
etc etc etc.

Centuries of Christian killing, stamping out all who questioned their faith.

Did you ever wonder why Christians are "god fearing"?
I notice in order to make your point you literally have to span close to 1000 years, meanwhile Communist regimes are responsible for 149 million deaths in less than 80 years.
(February 24, 2018 at 11:25 am)Huggy74 Wrote:
(February 24, 2018 at 7:03 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Atheists are not responsible for the most atrocities. 

The holocaust was catholics.(In the US it looks like the protestants want to start up round 2)
The murder of the maya and Aztecs killing hundreds of millions catholics V whatever the native population believed.
etc etc etc.

I notice in order to make your point you literally have to span close to 1000 years, meanwhile Communist regimes are responsible for 149 million deaths in less than 80 years.

Thank goodness, then, that Christians for the most part became housebroken citizens of the modern world prior to the development of sophisticated weaponry and industrial-model slave camps. There's nothing in their history before the modern age that suggests they would have been restrained by anything like their own alleged principles from using such technologies on their 'enemies'. And of course this claim of decent modern Christians has to be taken with a considerable grain of salt, given the participation of so many believers in the German atrocities on behalf of the Fatherland.

Anyway, unless there are a bunch of communists on this site, what exactly is your point? That fanatics who think they have the mandate of heaven or history commit terrible crimes? No shit.
(February 24, 2018 at 11:25 am)Huggy74 Wrote: meanwhile Communist regimes are responsible for 149 million deaths in less than 80 years.

Dictatorships are hardly atheist societies. They are all about cult of personality

[Image: DEfqJaSw_o.jpg]

[Image: TYuyCZjq_o.jpg]

[Image: WAUIlaHK_o.jpg]

They believe their dictator leaders have supernatural god-like powers; like that Stalin can read minds, or North Koreans are fed with propaganda that their leader came from the sky riding on rainbows, that he never takes a shit and many more religious nonsense.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
The mental gymnastics are on point.
We noticed.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Jesus's spittle had curative/magical powers.

Can't but help wonder about His poo, pee, sweat and finger nail clippings . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 24, 2018 at 11:25 am)Huggy74 Wrote:
(February 24, 2018 at 7:03 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Atheists are not responsible for the most atrocities. 

etc etc etc.

That’s only because the enlightenment, and beginnings of agnosticism and atheism has been slowly levering Christianity out of its cherished position to kill as it pleases, when it pleases and where it pleases, during the last 400 years. Your malicious faith has been trying to worm it’s way back to that cherished position ever since.

Your very resence on this forum is but as the useful idiot for your faith in its quest to bring the world back to the age of medieval superstition and with it medieval savagery and brutality to serve the aggrandizement of your faith.
(February 24, 2018 at 8:23 am)Huggy74 Wrote:
(February 24, 2018 at 6:37 am)Mathilda Wrote: I recognise this as the English language but the chosen words are strung together in a meaningless way. I suspect that there may be a secret code being deployed here.

Meaningless? Really Matilda? Ask yourself why you're the only one in the thread unable to understand what I said... the problem just may be you.

I was being sarcastic. I think everyone else here except you probably understood that. The point I was making was your statement was so utterly wrong as to be a non sequitur.

I don't seriously expect you to be talking in a secret code. I recognise that you are actually just talking gibberish.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights. Nishant Xavier 63 3579 July 15, 2023 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 36105 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5625 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 7436 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My biggest issue with theists DodosAreDead 73 11990 August 5, 2018 at 12:55 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Which atheists do you find the most annoying? Whateverist 126 19049 November 18, 2015 at 9:15 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Religious Rules that bother you the most Cecelia 47 7214 November 4, 2015 at 6:16 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What pissed you off the most when debating against theism? strawberryBacteria 26 6835 September 20, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Accepting the inevitable Longhorn 42 8931 August 17, 2015 at 10:32 am
Last Post: Iroscato
Video Most ignorant thing a Christian has told you Mental Outlaw 64 10992 March 1, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01