Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 6:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alien Question for Atheists
RE: Alien Question for Atheists
Proof of what, moses and sorcerors turning sticks into snakes?  Gee, I wonder.  Maybe someone turning a stick into a snake might help?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
But you said it's the same as sorcery of sorcerers per the story of Quran. So how would it be helpful.
(May 29, 2018 at 2:35 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Proof of what, moses and sorcerors turning sticks into snakes?  Gee, I wonder.  Maybe someone turning a stick into a snake might help?

Thusla Doom could do it:

(May 29, 2018 at 2:35 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Proof of what, moses and sorcerors turning sticks into snakes?  Gee, I wonder.  Maybe someone turning a stick into a snake might help?

I'm sure David Copperfield could do it. Wink
(May 29, 2018 at 2:23 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: ...A person who genuinely seeks truth wouldn't turn a blind eye to strong evidence that points in a different direction as what they already think is true. I suppose people like that exist in all groups.

The Truth is... the god of the Catholic Church does not, and can not exist.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(May 29, 2018 at 2:36 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: But you said it's the same as sorcery of sorcerers per the story of Quran. So how would it be helpful.

How would it be helpful to see someone turn a stick into a snake...as opposed to hearing stories about people turning sticks into snakes?  I'll let you sit on that one for awhile..see if you can figure it out.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 29, 2018 at 2:23 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Yeah. It's the same exact attitude as some religious folks take when they act like nothing could ever convince them that something about their religious beliefs is wrong. A person who genuinely seeks truth wouldn't turn a blind eye to strong evidence that points in a different direction as what they already think is true. I suppose people like that exist in all groups.

But it's not strong evidence.

Think about it, the similarities could only be limited precisely because aliens are not humans living on Earth with a similar evolutionary history. Like for example, the alien version of Jesus wouldn't die on a cross if it had 8 legs. And as I mentioned you'd have to also compare how similar other aspects of the culture were. If the culture was radically different in every other way except for a striking resemblance to christianity then that would be more noteworthy than if the two cultures were quite similar in all other regards.

That's if it's even possible to have an alien christianity. When you look at the issues in more depth it becomes as nonsensical as to trying to figure out what a god could possibly be.

And as I also mentioned, like with convergent evolution you would have to consider the function and role that the religion had within the both human and alien society and it's own history of how it evolved over time. And christianity as a human religion has evolved. The christianity that you practise will be very different from the form practised in the first century. And it's evolving as time goes by. This is why you get so many schisms and why the Pope comes up with new rules or why Mormonism was created and why they had to change their stance on black people.
(May 29, 2018 at 2:55 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(May 29, 2018 at 2:36 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: But you said it's the same as sorcery of sorcerers per the story of Quran. So how would it be helpful.

How would it be helpful to see someone turn a stick into a snake...as opposed to hearing stories about people turning sticks into snakes?  I'll let you sit on that one for awhile..see if you can figure it out.

Well, you tell me how it would helpful. Sure it would change your views on magic, but would that be a good thing or not.

Would you go the path of learning magic and relying on adapts and hidden beings who have no proof they are your guides.

Maybe you would believe in a Creator in this instance or just believe the universe is more mysterious.

The point is you explicitly said it's all the same miracles and sorcery, they are the same and on par.

So basically you would accept no miracle and would assert it's sorcery, as Arabs per Quran accused Mohammad of being.
(May 29, 2018 at 1:52 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(May 29, 2018 at 1:45 pm)Mathilda Wrote: What would be even more amazing than the aliens have a christian like religion would be if they looked exactly like humans. It's a standard trope in sci-fi which we all take for granted but the chances of that happening are negligible.

I'd be blown away by that too, but there could be evolutionary reasons for that to happen. Fingers are neccesary for tool use, upright walking for distance travel, etc. So I'd be shocked for sure, but I'd say a Christian like religion I'd put it in the realm of so shocking as to be miraculous.

But you could have two species occupying a similar niche leading to convergent evolution and coming up with similar solutions and you'd still not be able to pass one off as the other.

I mean, two eyes, a nose, mouth, upright, fingers, two ears etc. By itself it's not actually enough to look human. Humanoid aliens would also have to share a similar evolutionary history. And even then a neanderthal would stand out in a crowd from homo sapien for example. Because if you get too close but not close enough then you get the uncanny valley effect.

So yes, aliens able to pass themselves off as humans on the right side of the uncanny valley would be far more amazing than aliens with a religion that had simple functional similarities to christianity.
(May 29, 2018 at 3:14 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(May 29, 2018 at 2:55 pm)Khemikal Wrote: How would it be helpful to see someone turn a stick into a snake...as opposed to hearing stories about people turning sticks into snakes?  I'll let you sit on that one for awhile..see if you can figure it out.

Well, you tell me how it would helpful. Sure it would change your views on magic, but would that be a good thing or not.

Would you go the path of learning magic and relying on adapts and hidden beings who have no proof they are your guides.

Maybe you would believe in a Creator in this instance or just believe the universe is more mysterious.

The point is you explicitly said it's all the same miracles and sorcery, they are the same and on par.

So basically you would accept no miracle and would assert it's sorcery, as Arabs per Quran accused Mohammad of being.
What;s the  difference between the "miracle" of a stick turning into a snake and the "sorcery" of a stick turning into a snake?  I;d be amazed that sticks could be turned into snakes, beyond that, meh.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A very clever alien.. R00tKiT 85 8436 January 4, 2021 at 10:10 am
Last Post: RozzerusUnrelentus
  Question to atheists Alexmahone 34 4764 July 31, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2230 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Question From Atheists nosferatu323 200 57469 July 4, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Astonished
  A question to all atheists! Gestas 190 22329 January 30, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Question For Fellow Atheists... Autolite 218 23789 January 28, 2017 at 9:50 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 12113 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Question for Atheists tonyc4444 158 23645 March 26, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Thackerie
  A question to atheists EccentricAlien 29 9480 February 15, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Metis
  Atheists Only Please: Serious Question About Love naimless 50 11471 September 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4