Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 12:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Colbert Rips Jeff Sessions a New Asshole
RE: Stephen Colbert Rips Jeff Sessions a New Asshole
Quote:https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/toddler-cage-photo/
If it's fake or not is irrelevant it's needlessly cruel regardless .And no saying they get amenities does not make it any less cruel .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(June 17, 2018 at 11:51 am)Mr.wizard Wrote: None of this addresses the problem of separating families. Yes we have borders and yes we have detention centers, there is always room for improvement in these areas but I don't see any value in taking children from their parents, it just seems cruel especially since this administration has already admitted that they are using it as a deterrent. The only way that "making the citizenship process easier" fixes the problem, is if the administration is prepared to approve large numbers of immigrants. If most immigrants are being denied then they are probably going to try and sneak in anyway and given the rhetoric being spewed by the current administration I don't see them being more accepting.

The bolded is the problem.  You don't get to enter countries just because you want to.  

We can vote who we want into our government to change the border to be as open or closed as we want.  But that's up to the voters and government United States, not the people trying to immigrate into the US.  Whatever rules that are set are the rules.  

What the Trump Admin is proposing, I think, is if they are allowed to apply the same rules when they catch someone coming in illegally as they do at the border, then the family would be admitted or rejected as a group which solves the problem of splitting up families.  But a loophole allows illegals to get a trial or something, which takes awhile, and the US has to either let them into the country and hope they show back up for court on the honor system, or hold the adults.  But they can't hold the kids with the adults legally.  So they put them in the kid facilities.  It sounds like they try to place them with a family member already in the states, but I haven't read into it that far.

(June 17, 2018 at 12:08 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(June 17, 2018 at 11:38 am)henryp Wrote: There's plenty of money floating around in our government.  They can always scrape together a few billion if they need to tax cuts or no tax cuts.

I don't think you're living in the same reality that the rest of us are living in.  Is that how you balance your own finances, you just "find money"?

Oh come on now.  We both know personal finances and how the US Government is funded are nothing alike.  That's a disingenuous Tea Party argument.  Although, they are probably dumb enough to think it's a good point.
Quote:We don't even take care of our homeless citizens and veterans.
Whataboutism 

Quote:  Why should we go all out to help foreigners who have nothing in common with us?  
Mexicains have nothing in common with us ? One wonders how i have managed a relationship with one for 8 years . One wonders how many foreigners you know in order to make that judgement.

Quote:If we wanted to help them we should overthrow their worthless leaders and run their countries for them. 
Good luck with that 

Quote: That way they would get the advantage of living under the American government without having to come to America.
Good luck with that
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(June 17, 2018 at 11:38 am)henryp Wrote:
(June 17, 2018 at 11:17 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: [Image: Dfn1GElWAAEd-ZJ.jpg]

Boru

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/toddler-cage-photo/

(June 17, 2018 at 11:21 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: And this newer, more responsive system is going to be funded by giving massive tax breaks to corporations and the rich?

There's plenty of money floating around in our government.  They can always scrape together a few billion if they need to tax cuts or no tax cuts.

You seem to think the Snopes article discredits the notion that separating children from their parents is a bad thing.  Guess again.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 17, 2018 at 12:37 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 17, 2018 at 11:38 am)henryp Wrote: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/toddler-cage-photo/

You seem to think the Snopes article discredits the notion that separating children from their parents is a bad thing.  Guess again.

Boru

I believe the meme said "Is this what we've become?  Are you trump fans really okay with this?" over a picture of a kid in a cage.  Not "separating children from their parents is a bad thing."  

Instead of owning you just got duped, you're going with "Well, what it was actually saying..."?  The meme is based on a lie.  They want stupid moms on facebook to think this is the crying child being "torn from it's parents arms" and kept in a cage.  Criticize the right for lying in one thread, spread this fake propaganda in another.  

And the worst part, is you're right.  Splitting up parents and kids is bad.  I'm not even arguing against that.  But you post some bullshit like this, and then defend it rather than going the 'oops' route, and now the conversation can be framed about the dishonest meme instead of the issue if that's what I was interested.

It's a silly move that gets used a lot in politics.  Hyperbole when it isn't necessary.  I'd be curious to see how effective that is, because I've always thought when you are undeniably right, don't put yourself in a position where people can correctly say you're wrong.  I thought that's a mistake a lot of people made running against Trump.
I was just seeing where house Majority Leader Ryan was really pushing a change in legislation to stop this, and handle the illegal immigrant situation better.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Yeah that's not what Brian[b]SoddingBoru4 [/b]did but nice try  Dodgy

Quote:I was just seeing where house Majority Leader Ryan was really pushing a change in legislation to stop this, and handle the illegal immigrant situation better.
And he will cave to his boss because he doesn't have the balls he sold those to win an election .

Inuit Proverb

(June 17, 2018 at 1:05 pm)henryp Wrote:
(June 17, 2018 at 12:37 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: You seem to think the Snopes article discredits the notion that separating children from their parents is a bad thing.  Guess again.

Boru

I believe the meme said "Is this what we've become?  Are you trump fans really okay with this?" over a picture of a kid in a cage.  Not "separating children from their parents is a bad thing."  

Instead of owning you just got duped, you're going with "Well, what it was actually saying..."?  The meme is based on a lie.  They want stupid moms on facebook to think this is the crying child being "torn from it's parents arms" and kept in a cage.  Criticize the right for lying in one thread, spread this fake propaganda in another.  

And the worst part, is you're right.  Splitting up parents and kids is bad.  I'm not even arguing against that.  But you post some bullshit like this, and then defend it rather than going the 'oops' route, and now the conversation can be framed about the dishonest meme instead of the issue if that's what I was interested.

It's a silly move that gets used a lot in politics.  Hyperbole when it isn't necessary.  I'd be curious to see how effective that is, because I've always thought when you are undeniably right, don't put yourself in a position where people can correctly say you're wrong.  I thought that's a mistake a lot of people made running against Trump.

Did you read the bit in the Snopes article about why the child in the pic was crying?  Because he could see him mum but he couldn't get to her.  This is precisely what the Trump policy (again - it is a policy, not a law) is doing - terrorizing little children and panicking their parents through forced separation.

Quote:But they can't hold the kids with the adults legally. 

Yes you can.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 17, 2018 at 11:51 am)Mr.wizard Wrote:

Quote:None of this addresses the problem of separating families. Yes we have borders and yes we have detention centers, there is always room for improvement in these areas but I don't see any value in taking children from their parents, it just seems cruel especially since this administration has already admitted that they are using it as a deterrent. The only way that "making the citizenship process easier" fixes the problem, is if the administration is prepared to approve large numbers of immigrants. If most immigrants are being denied then they are probably going to try and sneak in anyway and given the rhetoric being spewed by the current administration I don't see them being more accepting.
One of the things Trump was supposed to be building was a series of concentration camps to hold all apprehended illegal aliens in.  Well, he's caught some illegal aliens and they are in concentration camps.  Why is that a concern?
(June 17, 2018 at 4:58 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(June 17, 2018 at 11:51 am)Mr.wizard Wrote: [hide]
One of the things Trump was supposed to be building was a series of concentration camps to hold all apprehended illegal aliens in.  Well, he's caught some illegal aliens and they are in concentration camps.  Why is that a concern?

Well, first of all they are not concentration camps but i'm going to assume you meant detention centers. I never said there was a problem with detention centers, we have already had detention centers, the problem as I and many others have stated is the separating the child from the parents, it isn't necessary you could hold the family together in the detention center, that is what we have done in the past. Presidents in the past have avoided separating the families, specifically for humanitarian reasons, Trump administration have actually made it a matter of policy to separate the families. 

I don't know how many times this has to be repeated.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Italy crime: Gang rips open security van with diggers near Bari Duty 7 732 January 14, 2019 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Asshole Can't Even Appoint The Right Judges Minimalist 11 1532 November 16, 2018 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  One Trump Loving Confederate Asshole Goes Down In Flames Minimalist 25 3183 November 8, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I'm Sure The WLB Will Pardon This Asshole, Too Minimalist 0 386 August 30, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Jeff Sessions "Religious Liberty Task Force" Foxaèr 126 8449 August 6, 2018 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. Jehanne 203 26079 April 28, 2018 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Turd Doesn't Fall Far From The Asshole Minimalist 10 1826 March 23, 2018 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Stephen Fry reveals prostate cancer diagnosis Antares 7 784 February 23, 2018 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Every Day Is Another Embarrassment With This Fucking Asshole Minimalist 27 3129 January 12, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stephen Colbert - The WLB Sings The Anthem Minimalist 3 528 January 10, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus