Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 3:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham
RE: "Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham
(July 17, 2018 at 1:20 pm)Crossless2.0 Wrote:
(July 17, 2018 at 1:19 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: So now I'm irrelevant.... your just a bigot knuckle dragger.  Get with the times.   #No discrimination!

Troll someone else.

Are you saying that those are not good arguments to re-define marriage again.   It seemed to work before!  It's like you are saying that I should sit in the back of the bus or something.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(July 17, 2018 at 1:23 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(July 17, 2018 at 1:20 pm)Crossless2.0 Wrote: Troll someone else.

Are you saying that those are not good arguments to re-define marriage again.   It seemed to work before!  It's like you are saying that I should sit in the back of the bus or something.

You've convinced me. I've been proven wrong and hereby retract post #394.
(July 17, 2018 at 1:27 pm)Crossless2.0 Wrote:
(July 17, 2018 at 1:23 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Are you saying that those are not good arguments to re-define marriage again.   It seemed to work before!  It's like you are saying that I should sit in the back of the bus or something.

You've convinced me. I've been proven wrong and hereby retract post #394.

Well, either those arguments are either valid or they are not.  If not, then perhaps they are just a smoke screen for something else.  They sound good, but they are unsound, and not really what it's about anyway.  However if sound, then shouldn't we be fighting for the rights of the single person to be married (or  a person and their toaster if that's their preference)?
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
RR seems to be arguing that gays have never been denied the right to get married. That they've always had the right to marry as long as it was to someone of the opposite sex. Which is kinda like a clerk in a clothing store telling you that you can buy any shirt in the store. Except for that one. Yeah, the one you really like and actually want to wear.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Hey, RR... you can worship God if you want. Just not THAT god. So by banning Christianity we're not stopping you from worshiping God. Just that specific god. Cool, right? You're free to worship Odin, Zeus, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or any number of pagan gods. Jesus though, is unacceptable. I mean we're not discriminating against you. You can worship God. Just not THAT god.

That's your logic in a nutshell right there.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
(July 17, 2018 at 1:38 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: However if sound, then shouldn't we be fighting for the rights of the single person to be married (or  a person and their toaster if that's their preference)?

Sorry, but there is no slippery slope to be found with letting gays to marry.

Marriage, at least in the US, is a legal contract. Can a toaster consent to enter into a legal contract?

Why shouldn't 2 consenting adults of the same sex be allowed to enter into a legal contract with each other?

The legal contract portion of marriage is completely separate from the religious ritual of marriage.

Only the legal contract portion is necessary to get married in the US. The religious ritual is completely optional.

If churches, temples or mosques do not want to marry people of the same sex, I completely support their decision.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(July 17, 2018 at 2:27 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote: RR seems to be arguing that gays have never been denied the right to get married. That they've always had the right to marry as long as it was to someone of the opposite sex. Which is kinda like a clerk in a clothing store telling you that you can buy any shirt in the store. Except for that one. Yeah, the one you really like and actually want to wear.

I don't believe that I have gotten to anything like that yet.  I've just been arguing for equal rights for single people.

(July 17, 2018 at 2:40 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(July 17, 2018 at 1:38 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: However if sound, then shouldn't we be fighting for the rights of the single person to be married (or  a person and their toaster if that's their preference)?

Sorry, but there is no slippery slope to be found with letting gays to marry.

Marriage, at least in the US, is a legal contract. Can a toaster consent to enter into a legal contract?

Why shouldn't 2 consenting adults of the same sex be allowed to enter into a legal contract with each other?

The legal contract portion of marriage is completely separate from the religious ritual of marriage.

Only the legal contract portion is necessary to get married in the US. The religious ritual is completely optional.

If churches, temples or mosques do not want to marry people of the same sex, I completely support their decision.

Why can't we just re-define things to include the toaster (or not.... it's really based on preference)?
I didn't realize a toaster could give legal consent.

Oh, right. I shouldn't be surprised you think your toaster can do that. After all, your toaster is smarter than you.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
(July 17, 2018 at 3:01 pm)Cecelia Wrote: I didn't realize a toaster could give legal consent.

Oh, right. I shouldn't be surprised you think your toaster can do that. After all, your toaster is smarter than you.

If I had a toaster, I bet it wouldn’t make ad hominem attacks. Besides, anything that causes an issue, we can redefine.
(July 17, 2018 at 2:44 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Why can't we just re-define things to include the toaster (or not.... it's really based on preference)?

First you'll have to invent a sentient toaster that's legally recognized as a person, and capable of giving or withholding consent.  Don't want to get a rap sheet that says "Statutory rape of household appliance," do you?   Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It Must Kill These Baptist Shitballs. Minimalist 49 9206 April 17, 2018 at 5:53 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Atheists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 56 7588 November 18, 2017 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7882 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  If Jesus is not true Sonah 41 9165 October 9, 2017 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  My dad wants me to marry another christian Der/die AtheistIn 40 8483 September 23, 2017 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Why Jesus is not the messiah. Creed of Heresy 59 14330 December 30, 2016 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Egyptian
  Christians - even the Bible says that Jesus was not God so why do you say he was ? jenny1972 299 45850 November 3, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
Question "Thou shall not kill" commandment is hypocritical? pocaracas 92 18244 August 26, 2015 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Would this be all we need to prove God exists? Or would it require more than this? IanHulett 30 5725 January 21, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: watchamadoodle
  being told to kill myself by someone who supposedly believe in God mainethinker 266 42167 January 18, 2015 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Mental Outlaw