Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 23, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Hell and Forgiveness
RE: On Hell and Forgiveness
"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart. "
H. L. Mencken
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 27, 2018 at 12:59 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(September 27, 2018 at 12:56 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: You should learn actual Christian doctrines before criticising.

Why waste time with what is essentially a moving target? Theist sometimes criticize science for continually evolving, yet theology suffers the same flaw.

When you make a general criticism, that doesn’t represent a significant amount of the people being represented, then I think it’s ok to point out the straw man being posited. And I don’t see nothing wrong with a center of study evolving, as long as it’s basis is knowledge and insight. Whether you are talking about science or theology. My theology has evolved a lot over the years.

However even if there is some small group of people who would ignorantly say what the other poster did, it certainly is not biblical.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Strangely enough, all the non biblicals swear their stuff is biblical and the other guys stuff aint.

Magic book really is magic!  It means everything and nothing in particular all at once.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 27, 2018 at 3:19 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(September 27, 2018 at 12:59 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Why waste time with what is essentially a moving target?  Theist sometimes criticize science for continually evolving, yet theology suffers the same flaw.

When you make a general criticism, that doesn’t represent a significant amount of the people being represented, then I think it’s ok to point out the straw man being posited. And I don’t see nothing wrong with a center of study evolving, as long as it’s basis is knowledge and insight. Whether you are talking about science or theology. My theology has evolved a lot over the years.

However even if there is some small group of people who would ignorantly say what the other poster did, it certainly is not biblical.

Christian doctrine isn't what a majority of people at a specific point in time think. That's an ad populism fail which also ignores the history and pluralism of Christianity.

If Steve wants to amend his complaint to simply that we don't understand him, I will willingly accede.

Possessing knowledge and insight seem to be at war with a subject evolving, depending upon how one conceives of knowledge. Ultimately, I suspect, however you conceive knowledge, theology will end up holding the short stick relative to science.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 27, 2018 at 3:23 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(September 27, 2018 at 3:19 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: When you make a general criticism, that doesn’t represent a significant amount of the people being represented, then I think it’s ok to point out the straw man being posited. And I don’t see nothing wrong with a center of study evolving, as long as it’s basis is knowledge and insight. Whether you are talking about science or theology. My theology has evolved a lot over the years.

Christian doctrine isn't what a majority of people at a specific point in time think.  That's an ad populism fail which also ignores the history and pluralism of Christianity.

If Steve wants to amend his complaint to simply that we don't understand him, I will willingly accede.

Possessing knowledge and insight seem to be at war with a subject evolving, depending upon how one conceives of knowledge.  Ultimately, I suspect, however you conceive knowledge, theology will end up holding the short stick relative to science.
Rule 1 of debating a theist "you don't understand X (when their losing ) " Of course we do they just dislike the fact it's absurd 

Rule 2 "lot's of people agree with us therefore were right "
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(September 27, 2018 at 1:41 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(September 27, 2018 at 12:56 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: You should learn actual Christian doctrines before criticising.

Why would he start now? I find it amusing the massive amounts of time spent by atheists here dreaming up straw men to bash about. I bet only a couple could correctly characterize any 10 main Christian doctrines.

I’m starting to believe that they need a nice soft straw man, to avoid mental injury.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(September 27, 2018 at 9:17 am)polymath257 Wrote:
(September 27, 2018 at 8:36 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: So then, you switch from arguing against to pleading ignorance?

edit:   Are you saying that their are interpretations, that are not contradictory, and incoherent?   Wouldn't the principle of charity say that you should argue against those, rather than trying to make the argument irrational?

I am saying that I have yet to see a coherent argument being made that doesn't have basic flaws. Furthermore, by refusing to define the relationship 'greater', the whole position on the religious side boils down to hand waving.

So, yes, your refusal to make the required argument means we are ignorant of what you are specifically claiming. This is *your* job to make your argument, not mine. If you think there is a coherent way to assign 'greater' to all virtues simultaneously, please make that argument. If you then make a claim that there is a 'greatest' in that ordering, then make that argument. Both of these claims seem wildly unlikely, though.

But at this point, all you have done is mumble vague platitudes that are unlikely to be anywhere close to correct.

And yes, until you actually do the work, what we understand about orderings makes your claims dubious, at best. More specifically, it appears that many virtues are mutually at odds, making a consistent resolution of these issues doubtful.

It seems silly to me, to argue in one instance, that you don't know what is meant, and then in another instance, to say that it is incoherent.  If you don't understand it, then how can you assess it at all?  I don't expect you to do the work except for your own claims... it's just confusing that you are making claims, and subsequently claim you don't know what you are talking about.

There is some disagreement on what is a great making quality or virtue.  This disagreement however is objective, and not just making statements concerning ones self.   Plantinga describes a maximally great being, or a maximally excellent being in the ontological argument.  I think that the following definition of greatness seems to fit "denoting the element of something that is the most important or the most worthy of consideration"  I am (just now) thinking, that perhaps it is the phrasing "greater" that is tripping you up.  That these "great" make properties can be maximized, as in not lacking in this attribute, or posessing the quality which is contrary in nature.  

As to the claim that some of these are mutually exclusive, that's your claim, and I'm guessing that you are not insinuating that I do your work for you.
(September 27, 2018 at 4:48 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(September 27, 2018 at 9:17 am)polymath257 Wrote: I am saying that I have yet to see a coherent argument being made that doesn't have basic flaws. Furthermore, by refusing to define the relationship 'greater', the whole position on the religious side boils down to hand waving.

So, yes, your refusal to make the required argument means we are ignorant of what you are specifically claiming. This is *your* job to make your argument, not mine. If you think there is a coherent way to assign 'greater' to all virtues simultaneously, please make that argument. If you then make a claim that there is a 'greatest' in that ordering, then make that argument. Both of these claims seem wildly unlikely, though.

But at this point, all you have done is mumble vague platitudes that are unlikely to be anywhere close to correct.

And yes, until you actually do the work, what we understand about orderings makes your claims dubious, at best. More specifically, it appears that many virtues are mutually at odds, making a consistent resolution of these issues doubtful.

It seems silly to me, to argue in one instance, that you don't know what is meant, and then in another instance, to say that it is incoherent.  If you don't understand it, then how can you assess it at all?  I don't expect you to do the work except for your own claims... it's just confusing that you are making claims, and subsequently claim you don't know what you are talking about.

There is some disagreement on what is a great making quality or virtue.  This disagreement however is objective, and not just making statements concerning ones self.   Plantinga describes a maximally great being, or a maximally excellent being in the ontological argument.  I think that the following definition of greatness seems to fit "denoting the element of something that is the most important or the most worthy of consideration"  I am (just now) thinking, that perhaps it is the phrasing "greater" that is tripping you up.  That these "great" make properties can be maximized, as in not lacking in this attribute, or posessing the quality which is contrary in nature.  

As to the claim that some of these are mutually exclusive, that's your claim, and I'm guessing that you are not insinuating that I do your work for you.

Since to be incoherent *means* that no sense can be made of it, I fail to see your problem reconciling not understanding something that is incoherent.

As for consistency of the different virtues, that *is* your job to show they are consistent. I already gave some that seem to be interconnected in ways that preclude maximizing more than one. They don't have to be mutually exclusive to destroy your position. They only need to not allow mutual maxima.

Yes, I have read Platinga. His version of the ontological argument is just as much nonsense as all the previous ones. Possible worlds don't help. When talking about 'most' or 'greatest' or anything along that line, you have to show such actually exists given your way or odering least to most, or lesser to greater. Not all ways of ordering allow single maxima, or even any maximum at all.
If someone argued a maximally great being would be too great to exist, what would the theist's counterargument be?
(September 27, 2018 at 9:09 pm)polymath257 Wrote:
(September 27, 2018 at 4:48 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: It seems silly to me, to argue in one instance, that you don't know what is meant, and then in another instance, to say that it is incoherent.  If you don't understand it, then how can you assess it at all?  I don't expect you to do the work except for your own claims... it's just confusing that you are making claims, and subsequently claim you don't know what you are talking about.

Since to be incoherent *means* that no sense can be made of it, I fail to see your problem reconciling not understanding something that is incoherent.

As for consistency of the different virtues, that *is* your job to show they are consistent. I already gave some that seem to be interconnected in ways that preclude maximizing more than one. They don't have to be mutually exclusive to destroy your position. They only need to not allow mutual maxima.

Yes, I have read Platinga. His version of the ontological argument is just as much nonsense as all the previous ones. Possible worlds don't help. When talking about 'most' or 'greatest' or anything along that line, you have to show such actually exists given your way or odering least to most, or lesser to greater. Not all ways of ordering allow single maxima, or even any maximum at all.

Still seems like you are using incoherent in two different ways, or at least making two arguments which do not work together.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GoodFight310 and the visions of Hell Ah_Hyug 0 827 September 20, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Ah_Hyug
  On the subject of Hell and Salvation Alternatehistory95 278 35734 March 10, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hello and question about hell Kyro 80 6561 August 11, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Hell and God cant Co-exist. Socratic Meth Head 440 52951 June 22, 2016 at 8:15 am
Last Post: madog
  Sin & Forgiveness miaharun 119 17746 November 16, 2015 at 4:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What the Hell,is Hell anyway? Vern Cliff 31 7723 October 15, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why a heaven and hell couldn't exist. dyresand 16 5866 April 5, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: dyresand
Exclamation Hell and the Play Nice Christian Cinjin 202 34893 February 26, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Since Heaven and Hell are not temporal .. Brakeman 130 27610 December 19, 2014 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.) Strider 25 7269 December 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: abaris