Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 2, 2024, 11:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists who announce "I'm good without god"
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god"
(October 2, 2018 at 12:07 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(October 2, 2018 at 11:55 am)polymath257 Wrote: I am addressing where our moral sense comes from. yes, we agree that the man is wrong in beating his wife. The question is why do we believe that. And my position is that we are evolved to be a social species with pair bonding. Deities are not required for a moral sense to have evolved.

I’ll ask another way. What reasons or evidence lead you to this claim?    And while your hypothesis may not require a god, it also doesn’t lead to moral realism. Using evolution, as a standard, if a rape produces more offspring, then would that be considered moral?  I don’t believe that whatever tendencies tend to be passed on, by whatever means; is a very strong basis for morality. With this, you could kill all who are not like you, and call it moral.

(October 2, 2018 at 12:06 pm)Grandizer Wrote: Ok, so you believe/accept it's really wrong, whether or not God existed.

A slightly different question: If God didn't exist, would beating your wife still be really wrong?

Yes, I would believe in a real right and wrong apart from believing in God. I don’t think that this fits with a materialist world view though.

How so?

If we have good reasons, independent of God or the supernatural, to believe such and such really is wrong or right, we need some immaterial thing why?
(October 2, 2018 at 12:07 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Yes, I would believe in a real right and wrong apart from believing in God. I don’t think that this fits with a materialist world view though.

Can numbers be objective in a materialist worldview? If numbers can be objective, why not morals?

(I think you're limiting yourself to specific materialist worldviews, btw, not to materialism qua materialism.)
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I’m good without mythological beings invented by primitive people to explain what they don’t understand and then later used to control the masses through fear and threats.

Better?

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(October 2, 2018 at 12:07 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(October 2, 2018 at 11:55 am)polymath257 Wrote: I am addressing where our moral sense comes from. yes, we agree that the man is wrong in beating his wife. The question is why do we believe that. And my position is that we are evolved to be a social species with pair bonding. Deities are not required for a moral sense to have evolved.

I’ll ask another way. What reasons or evidence lead you to this claim?    And while your hypothesis may not require a god, it also doesn’t lead to moral realism. Using evolution, as a standard, if a rape produces more offspring, then would that be considered moral?  I don’t believe that whatever tendencies tend to be passed on, by whatever means; is a very strong basis for morality. With this, you could kill all who are not like you, and call it moral.
And for a non-social species, it might well be moral to force sex. But humans are a social species and that means we have certain rules of behavior to maintain the social cohesion. Those rules are *our* morality. We are also an intelligent social species, which means we like to make laws that are generalized and apply to everyone. That is based in a sense of fairness.

But, for example, it might well be moral for a race of intelligent spiders to eat their mates after sex. It is not for us.
(October 2, 2018 at 12:48 pm)polymath257 Wrote:
(October 2, 2018 at 12:07 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I’ll ask another way. What reasons or evidence lead you to this claim?    And while your hypothesis may not require a god, it also doesn’t lead to moral realism. Using evolution, as a standard, if a rape produces more offspring, then would that be considered moral?  I don’t believe that whatever tendencies tend to be passed on, by whatever means; is a very strong basis for morality. With this, you could kill all who are not like you, and call it moral.
And for a non-social species, it might well be moral to force sex. But humans are a social species and that means we have certain rules of behavior to maintain the social cohesion. Those rules are *our* morality. We are also an intelligent social species, which means we like to make laws that are generalized and apply to everyone. That is based in a sense of fairness.

But, for example, it might well be moral for a race of intelligent spiders to eat their mates after sex. It is not for us.

You seem to be avoiding the question... oh well.

(October 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm)Grandizer Wrote:
(October 2, 2018 at 12:07 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I’ll ask another way. What reasons or evidence lead you to this claim?    And while your hypothesis may not require a god, it also doesn’t lead to moral realism. Using evolution, as a standard, if a rape produces more offspring, then would that be considered moral?  I don’t believe that whatever tendencies tend to be passed on, by whatever means; is a very strong basis for morality. With this, you could kill all who are not like you, and call it moral.

Yes, I would believe in a real right and wrong apart from believing in God. I don’t think that this fits with a materialist world view though.

How so?

If we have good reasons, independent of God or the supernatural, to believe such and such really is wrong or right, we need some immaterial thing why?

How do you get an ought from an is? If you have good reasons, then feel free to present them.

(October 2, 2018 at 12:27 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(October 2, 2018 at 12:07 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Yes, I would believe in a real right and wrong apart from believing in God. I don’t think that this fits with a materialist world view though.

Can numbers be objective in a materialist worldview? If numbers can be objective, why not morals?

(I think you're limiting yourself to specific materialist worldviews, btw, not to materialism qua materialism.)

I think that you are going to have a difficult time; making a case for a material/ physical existence of numbers or morals. In the case of numbers, I’m torn on if they are objective. I think that the arguments for objective numbers are slightly favored, and often see in arguments the same mistakes as when talking about objective morality (which sddimitantly may sway me some).

As to materialist world view, I’m speaking of a view that the physical things are all that exists.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(October 2, 2018 at 12:59 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(October 2, 2018 at 12:48 pm)polymath257 Wrote: And for a non-social species, it might well be moral to force sex. But humans are a social species and that means we have certain rules of behavior to maintain the social cohesion. Those rules are *our* morality. We are also an intelligent social species, which means we like to make laws that are generalized and apply to everyone. That is based in a sense of fairness.

You seem to be avoiding the question... oh well

Hmm....I haven't been attempting to do so. What specific question do you think I am avoiding? I have given the reasons why we have the moral feelings we have. I have expressed why those moral feelings lead to a man beating his wife to be wrong. I have described why such moral feelings in no way imply the existence of a deity. And I have pointed out that this all is consistent with materialism.
What else are you wanting me to address?
(October 2, 2018 at 1:33 pm)polymath257 Wrote:
(October 2, 2018 at 12:59 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: You seem to be avoiding the question... oh well

Hmm....I haven't been attempting to do so. What specific question do you think I am avoiding? I have given the reasons why we have the moral feelings we have. I have expressed why those moral feelings lead to a man beating his wife to be wrong. I have described why such moral feelings in no way imply the existence of a deity. And I have pointed out that this all is consistent with materialism.
What else are you wanting me to address?

1.)   How you came to the conclusion that morals are the result of evolution?
2.)   Do you think that there is really something wrong with a man beating his wife, or is it just a social convention, that could have evolved otherwise? 

And I'll  some more (related)
3.)    Can something be morally wrong, in spite of social convention or popular endorsement?   Can one society or individual be judged as being more moral than another?
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(October 2, 2018 at 12:59 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: How do you get an ought from an is?

Yeah, the "is-ought problem" again. You can look up Google for the various non-theistic solutions proposed.

But as far as I'm concerned, if beating your wife is wrong, then you shouldn't really do it, unless you somehow like to do things that you believe are wrong (such as hurting your poor wife).

Quote:If you have good reasons, then feel free to present them.

If you beat your wife, you're causing harm to someone who never consented to you harming her. There's nothing good about being a wife-beater. Rolleyes

If that's not a good reason, then you tell me what is a good reason that beating your wife is wrong. Remember you admitted that God is not needed, so there must be some reason that has nothing to do with the divine. And if God is the only reason, that's not much of a reason at all because "God decreed" doesn't do much of a job explaining why something is right/wrong.
(October 2, 2018 at 1:53 pm)Grandizer Wrote:
(October 2, 2018 at 12:59 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: How do you get an ought from an is?

Yeah, the "is-ought problem" again. You can look up Google for the various non-theistic solutions proposed.

But as far as I'm concerned, if beating your wife is wrong, then you shouldn't really do it, unless you somehow like to do things that you believe are wrong (such as hurting your poor wife).

Quote:If you have good reasons, then feel free to present them.

If you beat your wife, you're causing harm to someone who never consented to you harming her. There's nothing good about being a wife-beater. Rolleyes

If that's not a good reason, then you tell me what is a good reason that beating your wife is wrong. Remember you admitted that God is not needed, so there must be some reason that has nothing to do with the divine. And if God is the only reason, that's not much of a reason at all because "God decreed" doesn't do much of a job explaining why something is right/wrong.

You are just pushing the issue back to causing harm, and saying causing harm is wrong.   The question is if it is really wrong, or just a matter of individual opinion or social convention.  This doesn't get you out of the problem of objective morality.   And if you say that it is subjective, then you can't really criticize others for being immoral, other than just expressing your feelings (or whatever).
(October 2, 2018 at 1:57 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(October 2, 2018 at 1:53 pm)Grandizer Wrote: Yeah, the "is-ought problem" again. You can look up Google for the various non-theistic solutions proposed.

You are just pushing the issue back to causing harm, and saying causing harm is wrong.   The question is if it is really wrong, or just a matter of individual opinion or social convention.  This doesn't get you out of the problem of objective morality.   And if you say that it is subjective, then you can't really criticize others for being immoral, other than just expressing your feelings (or whatever).

Great, so answer my questions at the end of the quote (that you conveniently skipped)? Because let's not pretend theism is clear answer. Convince me that God is the best explanation of why beating your wife is really wrong. Or provide some other good reason yourself.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 470 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Morality without God Superjock 102 9835 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2261 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How to debunk the first cause argument without trying too hard Dystopia 206 46552 September 21, 2015 at 11:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Good News God is real, woo hoo!!!! Manowar 7 3989 August 13, 2015 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
Video God Just Changed His Mind (from Evil to Good) Mental Outlaw 51 14783 April 16, 2015 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Christians claiming there is no morality without god. because 15 3418 March 23, 2015 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Ultimate purpose without religion... "If I Die on Mars" Mudhammam 0 990 February 12, 2015 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  A world without Christianity Grasshopper 27 8974 January 15, 2015 at 12:14 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Can love exist without hate? tor 72 13628 March 24, 2014 at 3:01 am
Last Post: tor