Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 4:37 am

Poll: Is the backlash against Liam Neeson's remarks justified?
This poll is closed.
Yes, definitely
30.00%
6 30.00%
It's a bit excessive.
10.00%
2 10.00%
No, absolutely not.
45.00%
9 45.00%
Whatever
15.00%
3 15.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liam Neeson: Rape, Revenge, and Race Relations
RE: Liam Neeson: Rape, Revenge, and Race Relations
I'm glad I could bring you some deep south americana, Benny, lol.  Splitting the dark oak is a phrase that some racists use to refer to the sort of fetishism that the taboo of racism creates.  If you're a racist, screwing a black girl is dirty, therefore hot-as-fuck.   

In any case, there aren't enough cookies in the world to bribe a racist into not being a racist.  Incentive is a canard.  Neeson, as an example..required none, and it's unlikely that any damage his having stepped into shit causes to his career will turn him into a racist.  That's just not how this works..or there would be no racists, and no frothing rightwing in america to maintain it or complain about a lack of incentive.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I don't really think there are any non-racists. Or, if they are, it's just because someone has applied their chimpanzee tribalist instincts along some other axis: for example, expressions of political or group membership.

For me, the PC left extremists (I refer to the most intolerant and belligerent) and the right-wing nutjobs are quite similar-- they've descended into a meme-based tribalism so absolute that they are unlikely even to care about each other, or the fact that they are members of a common society which they are harming with their absolutism.

But I think descriptions of sincere feelings should be to some degree exempt because of their value. Neeson wasn't trying to justify his state of mind at the time of his story-- I think he assumed we'd get the subtext: "I'm a basically decent guy, but even I have seen that darker side of the human psychology where anger or prejudices get dangerous."
(February 12, 2019 at 11:26 am)bennyboy Wrote: I don't really think there are any non-racists.  Or, if they are, it's just because someone has applied their chimpanzee tribalist instincts along some other axis: for example, expressions of political or group membership.

For me, the PC left extremists (I refer to the most intolerant and belligerent) and the right-wing nutjobs are quite similar-- they've descended into a meme-based tribalism so absolute that they are unlikely even to care about each other, or the fact that they are members of a common society which they are harming with their absolutism.

But I think descriptions of sincere feelings should be to some degree exempt because of their value.  Neeson wasn't trying to justify his state of mind at the time of his story-- I think he assumed we'd get the subtext: "I'm a basically decent guy, but even I have seen that darker side of the human psychology where anger or prejudices get dangerous."

Yeah, racism aside, most of us have felt homicidal urges at times. Some of us more than others. I feeling like killing people on a semi regular basis. Sometimes I felt that way strong enough to move into sort of a planning stage. It is a little bit surprising that we don't do the murder thing a little more often than we do, considering how frequently we just want to kill other people. So Neeson spent a week wanting to kill some black guy, any black guy? And then it sunk in how crazy that was? Yeah, OK. Most of us have been there. Maybe not a black guy. Maybe a Muslim, any Muslim. Or a priest, any priest. A bible belt redneck. Or some white guy in a MAGA hat, any white guy in a MAGA hat.  Realizing that's crazy and feeling bad about it is what's important.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
(February 12, 2019 at 11:26 am)bennyboy Wrote: I don't really think there are any non-racists.  Or, if they are, it's just because someone has applied their chimpanzee tribalist instincts along some other axis: for example, expressions of political or group membership.

But I think descriptions of sincere feelings should be to some degree exempt because of their value.  Neeson wasn't trying to justify his state of mind at the time of his story-- I think he assumed we'd get the subtext: "I'm a basically decent guy, but even I have seen that darker side of the human psychology where anger or prejudices get dangerous."

Yeah, it was a super frank discussion of a touchy subject.   He must have known he was stepping into a pile, as he mentions..he's a smart guy. The chips are going to fall wherever they do, but if recent history is an indicator, even commited assholes get their comeback moments.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
There's still no evidence that Neeson is a racist. Racists don't usually admit that having racist thoughts is a terrible, despicable thing.

Having some prejudice thoughts at one point in your life in response to an extreme stressor does not mean you are a racist. If you've never had any hint of a prejudicial thought in your lifetime, you're either extremely sheltered or not human.

I can remember having some prejudiced thoughts when I was younger, implanted in me, undoubtedly, by my parents. In my early teen years, I learned to challenge thoughts like that and have since dismissed any sort of collectivist doctrine that tries to tell me I can judge someone's individual merit by looking at the color of their skin.

That being said, did those thoughts occur in my brain at one point in my life? Yes. And if you can't admit you've never had prejudiced thoughts in some way shape or form, I very much suspect your motives.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
Looking for a black bastard to kill is a bit more than just having prejudicial thoughts - but..yeah..sure...whatever Neeson may have been back in the day doesn't mean that he'll forever and always be that.  Not that it matters in the context of whatever damage this revelation has done to his image. That's just the business he's in. People are consuming fantasies that he produces for them, if he's ruined the fantasy, he's ruined the fantasy.

Hell, plenty of actors do this with roles they never recover from. Far from being indicative of some new and sinister trend in pc politics, it's business as usual in show business. Some people, when they turn out the tv to see Liam stalking through the shadows in search of whomever steals his daughter next, won't be able to avoid seeing some unsuspecting black person just around the next corner. Some studios, with plenty of other more marketable choices, will go for the cheaper talent with less baggage.
I'll ask. How do we even know he's telling the truth? For all we know he was trying to hype up his bad boy image.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
That would be a fantastically bad marketing decision..but anything's possible, lol.
(February 12, 2019 at 8:06 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: That would be a fantastically bad marketing decision..but anything's possible, lol.

Oh, I agree. But to take another example. The Rampart Division scandal with the LAPD, about 30 YA. Cops were making shit up and sending perps to prison with the false information. Then they admit to falsifying evidence (got caught at it), and perps get out of prison. If they lied on the stand under oath many times already to get the perps incarcerated, why should anyone believe their sworn testimony when they admit to the shit? At that point the only way to prove anything is with untainted evidence. It gets to the point that one doesn't know whom to believe.

Like I said before upthread, many of us in society harbor thoughts that would get is in big trouble if we actually voiced them, or have actually committed crimes and just didn't get caught. Hell, I even mentioned that the chump could have his cosmetologists even out his complexion with a blowtorch instead of spending all that time on makeup. Would I actually do that? No, it was tongue in cheek. In the US one can get away with saying that, but in other countries, one could end up in a gulag.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Liam's past urge to target black people was indeed racist. I just wonder what he's remorseful about exactly, because I don't think he gets what's really bad about the urge itself. And no, we don't all have these urges. I've never had the urge to go kill a random anyone, black or white or other. The few murderous fantasies I've had have been specific to certain individuals I despise, and it wasn't so strong as to want to act upon them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Head of WHO plays the "Race Card." Can you guess if he's black looking? Duty 9 759 April 14, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  More Race Hysteria from SJW's Neo-Scholastic 260 30109 October 14, 2017 at 12:03 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Michigan Pedophile Rapist Gets joint custody of son of one of his rape victims Divinity 23 6324 October 10, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: GUBU
  The Cheeto in Chief apparently wants to rape our national monuments Jackalope 2 831 April 26, 2017 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  Vote Rigging Discovered In Canadian Tory Leadership Race Amarok 0 515 March 17, 2017 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  BTW, that's gang rape, not misdemeanor assault vorlon13 76 10035 December 14, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  British woman 'arrested in Dubai after reporting rape' zebo-the-fat 28 3664 November 19, 2016 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  How the fuck is there a statute of limitations for rape in New York? GUBU 783 74355 October 25, 2016 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Catholic Church Opposes Removing Statute of Limitations for Child Rape SteelCurtain 89 9604 May 1, 2016 at 3:22 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Amherst Student Was Expelled for Rape. But He Was Raped, Evidence Shows. ErGingerbreadMandude 23 4734 December 24, 2015 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet