Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 11:35 pm

Poll: Is the backlash against Liam Neeson's remarks justified?
This poll is closed.
Yes, definitely
30.00%
6 30.00%
It's a bit excessive.
10.00%
2 10.00%
No, absolutely not.
45.00%
9 45.00%
Whatever
15.00%
3 15.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liam Neeson: Rape, Revenge, and Race Relations
RE: Liam Neeson: Rape, Revenge, and Race Relations
(February 14, 2019 at 5:50 pm)Thena323 Wrote:
(February 14, 2019 at 5:41 pm)bennyboy Wrote: ?

I responded directly to you.  I would think that should be sufficient.  Would you like me to send you a special telegram next time, your Highness?

You respond directly to be members' posts by QUOTING them, Benny.
No one KNOWS that you replied to them unless they stay parked in the thread or happen upon your response at a later time.

It was pretty OBVIOUS who I was TALKING to, THENA.

If you are really upset about not being quoted by responses made directly after your posts, then I will try to remember that in your case, I should do so. Shall we make the whole thread about it, or move on?
(February 14, 2019 at 5:41 pm)bennyboy Wrote:

Nobody is denying that his feelings and actions 40 years ago were clearly racist.  And I don't think any sensible person would think you'd need to say that's what he was describing.

But to go from "someone had racist thoughts and ideas 40 years ago, and they mentioned them today" to "Liam Neeson is a fucking racist, and his career needs to end, and anybody who thinks otherwise is a white supremacist" is an oppressive response.

I suspect that he's still casually racist because he hasn't made any notable effort to acknowledge or examine the RACIST aspects of his shitty logic...only the violent ones.

Nor have I stated that his career needs to end; I simply expressed my lack of interest in patronizing his films after being made aware of his apparent unwillingness to address that aspect of the equation. As a black person, why in the hell would I want to PAY to sit through a movie starring a guy who's rather likely to still be quite racist, especially in considering that his film are generally re-hashed GARBAGE to start with?

Lmfao....I haven't written any studios or signed any petitions to BAN this dumb motherfucker from the film industry. If you and other folks want to see his movies, I honestly don't give a shit. Watch want you want. I'm perfectly cognizant of the fact that everyone who still wishes to enjoy Liam's work isn't automatically a "white supremacist. Plenty of folks just have remarkably poor taste in film. 

I'm sure as hell not obligated to support his projects, though. No one is.
(February 14, 2019 at 5:41 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Nobody is denying that his feelings and actions 40 years ago were clearly racist. And I don't think any sensible person would think you'd need to say that's what he was describing.

That's not the point. The point is that the way he talked about the whole revenge thing initially, and the attempt at damage control later, was baffling and didn't have the intended effect that Liam thought it would have. Instead it just angered the black audience more because he didn't acknowledge the harmful effects of his thoughts on others nor did he apologize for his past racist urge to murder an innocent black man. Instead, he made it all about himself, about how he magnificently overcame this personal obstacle and (despite his confession) saying that he's not a racist instead of owning up to what he said and did and saying "I fucked up, what I did was racist and disgusting, I also realize now I caused a lot of pain with my words by disclosing my thoughts the way I did in public without considering the feelings of others, I'm sorry for that". This probably still would not have been satisfying enough, but it would've been a hell of a lot better a response to make than all his rationalizations and denials.

I am basing a lot of what I'm saying here on what black people themselves have remarked, by the way. I read their posts and comments and try to absorb what they're saying. So you could whine all you want about what white SJWs are saying, but black people themselves are saying this stuff before any other group, and at least we should consider what they have to say because they're the ones whose thoughts matter in this case.

Quote:But to go from "someone had racist thoughts and ideas 40 years ago, and they mentioned them today" to "Liam Neeson is a fucking racist, and his career needs to end, and anybody who thinks otherwise is a white supremacist" is an oppressive response.

Who's saying that exactly? It feels like you're strawmanning here.

Anyway, if people want to boycott the film because of what he said, so what? Do they not have the right to do so?
(February 14, 2019 at 6:56 pm)Grandizer Wrote:
Quote:But to go from "someone had racist thoughts and ideas 40 years ago, and they mentioned them today" to "Liam Neeson is a fucking racist, and his career needs to end, and anybody who thinks otherwise is a white supremacist" is an oppressive response.

Who's saying that exactly? It feels like you're strawmanning here.

Anyway, if people want to boycott the film because of what he said, so what? Do they not have the right to do so?

No, these are comments I've read online, which is what I've been addressing. Your comments, overall, have been measured and sensible enough. I should have specified that nobody in this thread has said that he should lose his career.
People say all kinds of shit online. People saying shit online isn't oppressive, or a pc culture run amok. It's the internet.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 14, 2019 at 10:48 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: People say all kinds of shit online.  People saying shit online isn't oppressive, or a pc culture run amok.  It's the internet.
I'd say when the shite tends toward silencing someone or ending their career, and is based on nitwits getting triggered by a violation of their memes, then that it is.
This is a serious problem with the internet-- it's introduced the most complete democratic system that has ever existed; but it turns out that most people are idiots, and should probably not be allowed to speak as one.
On the one hand, I would like to point out the fracas that happened last summer over James Gunn which ended up costing his job working on Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 over internet hiveminds losing their minds over old Tweets he made that he was ashamed of.

On the other hand, I would also like to point out that Mike Cernovich isn't the one stoking these hiveminds, and Neeson does not work for Disney... except maybe if they get around to doing that film of The Silver Chair that's been in development Hell for years before Netflix reboots it.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Disney makes a ton of decisions based on brand damage (real and potential).  That's the free market at work. Turns out that a company that turns out dimes by merchandising to children(s parents) doesn't want to be associated with pedophilia jokes.

Fox had a field day with that one. Cernovich actually did "stoke those hiveminds".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
This is why I opt out of these conversations early. 16 pages later and no one's really listening to one another or making any real progress in the conversation. It's as if people are more worried about having the last word than having a real discussion. Without naming names, some of you don't seem to be even reading what others are writing. This is all pointless. AF has spoken, most people feel the outrage wasn't justified.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(February 15, 2019 at 5:23 am)PRJA93 Wrote: This is why I opt out of these conversations early. 16 pages later and no one's really listening to one another or making any real progress in the conversation. It's as if people are more worried about having the last word than having a real discussion. Without naming names, some of you don't seem to be even reading what others are writing. This is all pointless. AF has spoken, most people feel the outrage wasn't justified.

I'm not sure it's that clear a consensus.  It seems to me that the initial weigh-in heavily favored moderation, but among those who really dug in their heels, it's kind of swinging toward the whole thing being racist, and Neeson having made a major error in judgment.

I feel intent matters much more than content.  Someone might be full-on racist but a nice guy.  Or someone might completely spew the nice-guy memes, but be a manipulative viper.  In the end, I'd almost go with a Biblical view-- it is malice itself which is the cancer.

Malice should be the thing most despised by us all-- the intent to hurt, and to do harm.  And I see plenty of that from the left-- a truly disgusting desire to end careers, to silence opposing thought by mob attack.  And the right-- well, real attacks with real guns, and real bodies hanging from trees-- don't think they get a pass.

Where malice is lacking, there should be a lot more tolerance.  If I'm unwilling to try and understand. . . what will be my reward for that behavior when I'm the one under the microscope?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Head of WHO plays the "Race Card." Can you guess if he's black looking? Duty 9 775 April 14, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  More Race Hysteria from SJW's Neo-Scholastic 260 30273 October 14, 2017 at 12:03 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Michigan Pedophile Rapist Gets joint custody of son of one of his rape victims Divinity 23 6340 October 10, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: GUBU
  The Cheeto in Chief apparently wants to rape our national monuments Jackalope 2 834 April 26, 2017 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  Vote Rigging Discovered In Canadian Tory Leadership Race Amarok 0 522 March 17, 2017 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  BTW, that's gang rape, not misdemeanor assault vorlon13 76 10083 December 14, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  British woman 'arrested in Dubai after reporting rape' zebo-the-fat 28 3715 November 19, 2016 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  How the fuck is there a statute of limitations for rape in New York? GUBU 783 75012 October 25, 2016 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Catholic Church Opposes Removing Statute of Limitations for Child Rape SteelCurtain 89 9640 May 1, 2016 at 3:22 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Amherst Student Was Expelled for Rape. But He Was Raped, Evidence Shows. ErGingerbreadMandude 23 4742 December 24, 2015 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet