Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 7:29 am

Poll: Ban Religion - are you for or against it and why?
This poll is closed.
I support it
19.05%
16 19.05%
I oppose it
80.95%
68 80.95%
Total 84 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ban Religion - are you for or against it and why?
RE: Ban Religion - are you for or against it and why?
Some evils are necessary. Religion isn't one of them, at least public religion.
Trying to update my sig ...
I see no reason why a privately funded church where people pay to do their own little thing should be banned. Fucking tax the property like everyone else, but let them have their little hole.

Unlike the rest of us paying taxes for the fuckheads people currently complain eat off of our hard-earned cash.
So, here goes: alcohol isn't necessary either. In fact, it does a lot more harm than the supposed "good" (ie, health benefits) because of how people misuse it. So we have laws controlling how it gets used in public. No one's suggesting we ban booze again, are they? Or shut down bars as places of 'evil' where a harmful substance gets consumed that could be unleashed on the public? Something that makes you act stupid and impairs your judgement?
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
It's a pretty heavily controlled substance. Permits, provisions, age requirements, liscenses, etc. You can't sell alcohol to a child and claim that it is an article of faith, nor can you drive drunk and claim articles of faith, can you? Breweries aren't tax exempt..etc etc etc...
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
And we shouldn't allow faith in schools either. I never argued that. Keeping school completely secular seems to be doing a damn fine job of, if not making outright atheists, at least keeping the vast majority of those children from doing the activities you described.

So we shouldn't ban religion, just do everything in our power to make sure that secularism trumps everything. The measure of how benign a religious group is is exactly equivalent to how far from literally they are allowed to practice their faith? Sounds alot like banning religion without all the nasty connotations implied by overtly declaring that you've banned religion.

(the faithful already complain that we're "banning religion" for what little we do)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
No, because I'm not saying they're not allowed to go think, believe and even practice a lot of what they do.

Take my wonderful heritage, Rhythm - most of those laws are ridiculous, but they don't harm other people. Am I going to say "Well, you can't kill people AND you can't follow kosher law because religion is bullshit"?

You can be as silly and harmful to yourself as you want in your own home. You can't do it to other people. Btw, you don't need religion to abuse children in the exact same horrible mental ways.
The example of abuse would be fine, except that you absolutely can defend yourself against those accusations in this country by claiming articles of faith. When it doesn't work it's news-worthy, and the faithful feel that this is somehow a miscarriage of justice. Summer, these people have checked themselves out of our social contract. Those that don't take their faith literally in every sense are the ones you seem to be defending. The more in line with our current notions of secularism they are the less worrisome they become? I agree completely. Which is exactly why I'd love to get rid of religion in the first place.
The operative term being "in your own home."
(October 16, 2011 at 10:04 am)Rhythm Wrote: The example of abuse would be fine, except that you absolutely can defend yourself against those accusations in this country by claiming articles of faith. When it doesn't work it's news-worthy, and the faithful feel that this is somehow a miscarriage of justice. Summer, these people have checked themselves out of our social contract.

The courts are no longer letting these fuckheads get away with it, which is exactly why it's making news.
(October 16, 2011 at 10:06 am)Epimethean Wrote: The operative term being "in your own home."

Private residence, privately paid for building. Don't care. Same deal.
Really? Can we build a privately owned terrorist training center and get away with it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 dollar stands firmly against 1 hryvnia. Why? Interaktive 6 433 June 23, 2021 at 5:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  transgender military ban to go into effect Fake Messiah 20 2645 January 25, 2019 at 12:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Palestinian rock throwing, but isnt that against their religion? Kimbi 1 540 September 4, 2018 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why oh why are people on the righ so against LGBT folk? NuclearEnergy 10 2045 July 26, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Why is the Democratic Party against the only person who could save them? Mystical 63 16454 June 3, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  This Is What You're Up Against With Drumpfucks Minimalist 20 2664 March 18, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Trump's ban on Muslims WinterHold 51 6775 March 6, 2017 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Pence Defends Trump’s Criticism of Judge Who Blocked Travel Ban Foxaèr 3 857 February 5, 2017 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Do you know why wars happens and why middle east is robbed? Safirno 12 2225 July 9, 2016 at 11:48 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Remember Progressives.... This Is What You Are Defending Against Minimalist 19 2816 May 27, 2016 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus