Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 3:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Why are you an Atheist?
RE: Why are you an Atheist?
(December 17, 2019 at 2:43 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(December 17, 2019 at 2:36 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I suppose it would take a genuine miracle, not just a statistically unlikely event.  Any of the following would qualify:

-All fourteen year old children becoming seven year old children.

-All marsupials speaking Finnish.

-Oysters gaining the power of flight (flinging them doesn't count).

-The formation of a one-world government, with the adoption of Chuck Berry's 'My Ding-a-Ling' as the official anthem.

-The sudden replacement of the Moon by a blob of red currant jam.

-The appearance of Lupita Nyong'o in my kitchen, naked and cooking me pancakes, and my wife NOT minding.

Boru

Boru NOT signing every post with “Boru”.

You know, a GENUINE miracle.

Smile

And I shall now prove that God doesn't exist:

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 17, 2019 at 2:45 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 17, 2019 at 2:43 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Boru NOT signing every post with “Boru”.

You know, a GENUINE miracle.

Smile

And I shall now prove that God doesn't exist:

Boru

Can’t get more conclusive than that.

Atheists 1: god nil.
Dying to live, living to die.
All of those could be a trick by a substantially advanced species though so it really is a tricky question.
(December 17, 2019 at 2:59 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: All of those could be a trick by a substantially advanced species though so it really is a tricky question.

I’ve Never thought of Boru as a substantially advanced species...
Dying to live, living to die.
He's amusing at most times and his blunt force comments to Brian always amuse
(December 17, 2019 at 2:07 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote:
(December 17, 2019 at 1:53 pm)Succubus Wrote: No. You're not pulling that trick, show us what you have and we'll take a look at it.

I've never thought of that as a trick question. I was a Nazarene for a long time, like more than a decade, and when I encountered people that didn't believe I was befuddled because God was such an obviously real thing to me. I used to wonder what it would take to show atheists the "truth". It really is a good question hopefully maxolla will pay attention to honest answers to that question.

It is a trick question though, it's a rabbit hole question. No matter what is proposed as convincing evidence there will always be a counter to it.

"All fourteen year old children becoming seven year old children."

Ya'but, how do you know it wasn't a highly advanced alien race?

And so it goes, they will always have an out.

Edit: Ninja'd by your good self.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(December 17, 2019 at 3:13 pm)Succubus Wrote:
(December 17, 2019 at 2:07 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I've never thought of that as a trick question. I was a Nazarene for a long time, like more than a decade, and when I encountered people that didn't believe I was befuddled because God was such an obviously real thing to me. I used to wonder what it would take to show atheists the "truth". It really is a good question hopefully maxolla will pay attention to honest answers to that question.

It is a trick question though, it's a rabbit hole question. No matter what is proposed as convincing evidence there will always be a counter to it.

"All fourteen year old children becoming seven year old children."

Ya'but, how do you know it wasn't a highly advanced alien race?

And so it goes, they will always have an out.

Edit: Ninja'd by your good self.

I just mean that the question itself isn't necessarily a trick and if it is meant as a trick, the person must be horribly obtuse
(December 17, 2019 at 3:04 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(December 17, 2019 at 2:59 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: All of those could be a trick by a substantially advanced species though so it really is a tricky question.

I’ve Never thought of Boru as a substantially advanced species...

I'm so advanced that you haven't noticed.  Clever of me, innit?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 17, 2019 at 1:40 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote:
(December 17, 2019 at 1:09 pm)maxolla Wrote: What would be a proper demonstration of existence?  What would a God have to do to prove to you that it existed?

Those are good questions. I don't know the answer but so far all of my experience with religion has failed to provide that proof. I would imagine a being worthy of the title "God" would be able to provide proof OR it has a plan in obscuring itself and would would be benevolent enough to NOT condemn me for my failure to believe.

I provide a reverse Pascal's Wager:

God is purposely obscuring Themself so as to occlude all possible experience that They exist

By design you are not meant to experience God

When you die and are before the Fountain you will be asked if you believe in God, if no, you will get into the full monty Cliborg (My God doesn't believe in heaven or hell instead They have Cliborg), if you say yes you will be asked to prove God exists and when you CAN'T as you couldn't your whole life, you will be sent to...

...Cliborg lite a dimmer version of Cliborg but still pretty great because my God isn't a lame douch nozzle

SO by believing in God without any good reason you are condemning yourself to Cliborg Lite but no worries because it is still pretty great.

QED

How do you know that they have failed to provide you the proof if you don’t know what the proof is?
Boru signs his posts so he'll remember who wrote them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are you an atheist? Ongietan 26 2695 February 20, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3594 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Why are you an atheist? Tiberius 130 75537 January 9, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7142 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  When, Where, How and Why did you become Atheist? bambi_swag 122 28370 October 18, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Why You Should Be Atheist Dunno 77 28186 October 30, 2013 at 7:56 am
Last Post: MitchBenn
  Why Are You an Atheist Max_Kolbe 15 4150 October 5, 2013 at 4:51 am
Last Post: Mothonis
  Why, Why,Why! Lemonvariable72 14 3592 October 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Why are you atheist? jap23 112 28431 April 10, 2013 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: MORETORQUE
  Why are YOU an Atheist? Doubting_Thomas 111 26475 January 26, 2013 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Nevzorov_Nikita