Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 8:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why God doesn't stop satan?
RE: Why God doesn't stop satan?
(June 16, 2021 at 11:46 am)Foxaire Wrote: Ironically, all believers anthropomorphize their god. Otherwise, god would be a great big non-descriptive nothing that doesn't exist. Oh, wait......

Well played, sir.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(June 8, 2021 at 1:33 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote: In the OT, Satan is a servant of God.  He is the tester, but he is not allowed free reign.  He is part of God's plan for the fallen world.

And all the actors in the WWE are servants of Vince McMahon.
(June 16, 2021 at 11:43 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 16, 2021 at 11:38 am)WinterHold Wrote: You fall into "Anthropomorphism" again. Don't reflect human traits into the description of God or you'll lose the compass; just like an ancient Greek thinking that a "raging storm" is the Olympus Idols having a party.

If the Quran can anthropomorphize God, why can’t I?

Boru

The light from a candle is light, the blinding rays of a supernova are called "light" too.
That's not anthropomorphism, that's "describing the phenomena with simple words so the reader understand".
You get that believing god to be like a person is exactly what the term refers to, right? That any believer in a personal and intervening god, any theist....by definition..... cannot help but do thing thing you are here cautioning atheists against. That it's an article of your faith that you're telling us to avoid.....?

So, I guess..mission accomplished? You've convinced me to continue avoiding theism?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 16, 2021 at 5:50 pm)WinterHold Wrote:
(June 16, 2021 at 11:43 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If the Quran can anthropomorphize God, why can’t I?

Boru

The light from a candle is light, the blinding rays of a supernova are called "light" too.
That's not anthropomorphism, that's "describing the phenomena with simple words so the reader understand".

And the best and most universal way to simplify gods is to anthropomorphize them, which is what the Quran does.

Boru
(June 8, 2021 at 12:04 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: It is said in the bible that satan "roams the earth and seeks who to devour". Meaning, they end up in hell. Why God doesn't stop this madness? What is he waiting for?

The answer is simply because there is no all-powerful, all-knowing and all-good god. An all-powerful, all-knowing and all-good god would prevent evil
period. Hence, the fact that evil exists is proof that an all-powerful, all-knowing and all-good god does not exist.
(June 16, 2021 at 8:41 pm)JohnJubinsky Wrote:
(June 8, 2021 at 12:04 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: It is said in the bible that satan "roams the earth and seeks who to devour". Meaning, they end up in hell. Why God doesn't stop this madness? What is he waiting for?

The answer is simply because there is no all-powerful, all-knowing and all-good god. An all-powerful, all-knowing and all-good god would prevent evil
period. Hence, the fact that evil exists is proof that an all-powerful, all-knowing and all-good god does not exist.

Yeah, I also used to think the Epicurean paradox was a good argument against the existence of god. Then I, you know, thought about it.

Boru
(June 16, 2021 at 5:50 pm)WinterHold Wrote:
(June 16, 2021 at 11:43 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If the Quran can anthropomorphize God, why can’t I?

Boru

Um no, you do what I've seen Christians and Jews do too with their holy writings. You are trying to retrofit modern science to old mythology. You are working backwards. NOBODY in the world back then had any modern scientific understanding like we do today. Nobody in the world back then knew what a photon was. Nobody back then knew what infrared light, or ultra violet light was. Nobody back then knew what radiation was. Nobody back then knew what "redshift" was. Nobody back then knew what the speed of light was. And nobody knew what a supernova was. Observing something doesn't mean you understand in any modern sense what you are observing. All anyone knew back then when they observed a super nova was that it just seemed to be a brighter star. They knew nothing about the makeup of what caused such events. 

FYI, if you truly believe the ancients actually had any modern knowledge then you should believe in Chinese mythology, because according to wikipedia,  Chinese Astronomers were the first to write down their observations in 185CE. And that was long before the invention of the religion of Islam or the first compiled Koran. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of...bservation

Very few humans back then knew that the sun was a star, and could tell the difference between a star and a planet. But even then, even those people were limited in their knowledge because they didn't have modern tools of observation.
(June 17, 2021 at 8:15 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(June 16, 2021 at 5:50 pm)WinterHold Wrote: The light from a candle is light, the blinding rays of a supernova are called "light" too.

Um no, you do what I've seen Christians and Jews do too with their holy writings. You are trying to retrofit modern science to old mythology. You are working backwards. NOBODY in the world back then had any modern scientific understanding like we do today. Nobody in the world back then knew what a photon was. Nobody back then knew what infrared light, or ultra violet light was. Nobody back then knew what radiation was. Nobody back then knew what "redshift" was. Nobody back then knew what the speed of light was. And nobody knew what a supernova was. Observing something doesn't mean you understand in any modern sense what you are observing. All anyone knew back then when they observed a super nova was that it just seemed to be a brighter star. They knew nothing about the makeup of what caused such events. 

FYI, if you truly believe the ancients actually had any modern knowledge then you should believe in Chinese mythology, because according to wikipedia,  Chinese Astronomers were the first to write down their observations in 185CE. And that was long before the invention of the religion of Islam or the first compiled Koran. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of...bservation

Very few humans back then knew that the sun was a star, and could tell the difference between a star and a planet. But even then, even those people were limited in their knowledge because they didn't have modern tools of observation.

That reply has fuck all to do with anthropomorphism.

Typical.

Boru
Better the devil you know.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 6769 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5882 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 5236 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  If your child cries it means Satan is in him Ruckus123 8 2099 May 5, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  If you could replace god with satan, would you? Silver 37 7260 April 28, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 20548 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7653 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  A god who doesn't believe in himself? ErikB 6 1939 January 21, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: ErikB
  "God doesn't Exist"- Claim or Conclusion RiddledWithFear 105 21391 December 28, 2016 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "God doesn't Exist just like Unicorns don't Exist?" RiddledWithFear 17 3536 December 21, 2016 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda