Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 2:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny?
RE: Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny?
(July 28, 2021 at 1:15 pm)Angrboda Wrote:
(July 28, 2021 at 12:59 pm)Huggy Bear Wrote: So my examples do nothing to disprove your baseless assumptions? Hilarious

It wasn't baseless.  You provided a basis.  If being a slave was a nothing burger, then the story you cite doesn't make sense.  Additionally, there is plenty of extra-biblical evidence about slavery in ANE, as well as Jesus' comments.

But thanks for showing what a towering intellect you are once again.

Your assumptions are baseless, you conflate indentured servitude with slavery, where in the King James English, the word SLAVE only appears twice the bible, once in the old testament and once in the new testament, the word SERVANT is used IN ALL OTHER INSTANCES, which shows a clear distinction between the word servant and slave.

Hows is it that your apparently prodigious brain can't understand that?
There is no doubt whatsoever that the slave trade flourished and was endorsed by their laws.

Are you an advocate of biblical slavery? Do you intend to argue…not that Christianity doesn’t support slavery, but that it does- and that slavery was right and proper?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 28, 2021 at 1:28 pm)Huggy Bear Wrote:
(July 28, 2021 at 1:15 pm)Angrboda Wrote: It wasn't baseless.  You provided a basis.  If being a slave was a nothing burger, then the story you cite doesn't make sense.  Additionally, there is plenty of extra-biblical evidence about slavery in ANE, as well as Jesus' comments.

But thanks for showing what a towering intellect you are once again.

Your assumptions are baseless, you conflate indentured servitude with slavery, where in the King James English, the word SLAVE only appears twice the bible, once in the old testament and once in the new testament, the word SERVANT is used IN ALL OTHER INSTANCES, which shows a clear distinction between the word servant and slave.

I can understand that, as well as the possibility that the distinction you are arguing is nonsense or of limited applicability. Ultimately that doesn't matter. As Nudger has pointed out, both are things a moral god would prohibit if my argument holds, which it does. Try arguing the point instead of cheap shots and semantic quibbles. You've now conceded that even if indentured servitude was less problematic than slavery, it's still a problem.

As to what word is used in the King James version of the bible, that matters little as the bible wasn't written in the king's English. I admit to being ignorant here, a limitation that even a prodigious brain can't overcome on the nonce. What words were used in the original, what practices did they indicate, and were they uniform or are you trying to sneak in exceptions as a general rule? We've already seen you try to reason from a limited set of particulars to a universal or general rule in an invalid manner, what's to say that you aren't doing so now?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 28, 2021 at 1:39 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: There is no doubt whatsoever that the slave trade flourished and was endorsed by their laws.

Are you an advocate of biblical slavery?  Do you intend to argue…not that Christianity doesn’t support slavery, but that it does- and that slavery was right and proper?

Who are you talking to?
Your question, Angr, is also handled in the link I provided, right at the beginning iirc.

You Huggy. I’m asking you, of course.

Do you intend to argue not that magic book or Christianity don’t endorse slavery, but that they do, biblical slavery -the right and proper kind?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 28, 2021 at 1:54 pm)Angrboda Wrote:
(July 28, 2021 at 1:28 pm)Huggy Bear Wrote: Your assumptions are baseless, you conflate indentured servitude with slavery, where in the King James English, the word SLAVE only appears twice the bible, once in the old testament and once in the new testament, the word SERVANT is used IN ALL OTHER INSTANCES, which shows a clear distinction between the word servant and slave.

I can understand that, as well as the possibility that the distinction you are arguing is nonsense or of limited applicability.  Ultimately that doesn't matter.  As Nudger has pointed out, both are things a moral god would prohibit if my argument holds, which it does.  Try arguing the point instead of cheap shots and semantic quibbles.  You've now conceded that even if indentured servitude was less problematic than slavery, it's still a problem.

*emphasis mine*
I've done no such thing, what I've maintained is that in the bible, people voluntarily entered into servitude, in the case of Jacob he did it in lieu of having a dowry. This was two grown adults entering into a contractual agreement, explain how YOU consider this to be problematic...
(July 28, 2021 at 1:54 pm)Angrboda Wrote: As to what word is used in the King James version of the bible, that matters little as the bible wasn't written in the king's English.  I admit to being ignorant here, a limitation that even a prodigious brain can't overcome on the nonce.  What words were used in the original, what practices did they indicate, and were they uniform or are you trying to sneak in exceptions as a general rule?  We've already seen you try to reason from a limited set of particulars to a universal or general rule in an invalid manner, what's to say that you aren't doing so now?
*emphasis mine*
Correct the bible wasn't written originally in English, it was translated into English, and for some reason the scholars chose to make a distinction between the words servant and slave.
That’s not the only way people entered into slavery in the Bible or in mere reality.

That’s immaterial, at this point, though.

Is that the kind of slavery that you would personally endorse?
(July 28, 2021 at 2:23 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: That’s not the only way people entered into slavery in the Bible or in mere reality.

That’s immaterial, at this point, though.

Is that the kind of slavery that you would personally endorse?

I endorse the right for a person to be able to make their own choices, which indentured servitude clearly was. If one CHOOSE to enter into a contractual agreement to serve for a number of years for whatever it is they want, i'm totally fine with that, is that clear enough for you? not much else to say on the subject.
Then there we have it. You’re not arguing the premise that Christianity supports slavery, you’re agreeing with it and indicating that you do as well.
(July 28, 2021 at 2:31 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Then there we have it.  You’re not arguing the premise that Christianity supports slavery, you’re agreeing with it and indicating that you do as well.

Better than your support of genocide I suppose.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3958 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1931 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Was Christianity started to control the masses and dictate poltical agendas GODZILLA 126 23195 April 17, 2018 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why is Christianity and Islam so widely practiced? NuclearEnergy 12 2580 November 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Dawkins and Christianity rjh4 is back 56 19803 August 22, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why doesn't hell in Islam and Christianity have Cold as torture? Spixri 33 9617 April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  17 y/o YouTuber faces years in jail for insulting Islam and Christianity wolf39us 38 8254 June 2, 2016 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Aractus
  What is with refusing to admit slavery is wrong? ReptilianPeon 99 23836 August 25, 2015 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Divinity
  God in Christianity and Islam parakletos 24 6834 November 12, 2014 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: parakletos
  New age religions that threatens Atheists and Christianity repentsinners 5 1936 November 24, 2013 at 11:47 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen