Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 8:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny?
RE: Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny?
That which is not forbidden, is permitted.

- God
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
When I hear the question, does Christianity endorse slavery and/or misogyny, the first thing that occurs to me is what is the Christian philosophy and its documents based on? Why, it's based on a culture that was already thousands of years old and in that (and all other) culture women were subservient and slavery was an accepted practice, so of course any thinking from that era and culture is going to reflect those ethics. In a nutshell, yes Christianity is completely supportive of both even though later generations of Christians began to challenge both of these views as abhorrent (at least some people have). We even see the manipulation of Biblical translations that try to downplay the horrible nature of the text in a grand display of political correctness.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(August 3, 2021 at 2:47 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:

I follow Jesus and as to which Paul quote I ignore, neither. I accept both. They are not contradictory. Slaves should obey their masters. + All people are one in Christ clearly means: If you're a person who is a slave... be an obedient one, because we're all the same in Christ master and slave. The Bible does speak of abolishment of slavery in certain instances. The Bible does prescribe people be taken as prisoners of war, which I already conceded. You defined prisoners of war as slaves; so for the sake of our discussion the Bible does condone some type of slavery, specifically prisoners of war. 
Thus by my below logic, the answer to this thread is if you consider prisoners of war as slaves then the Bible does condone some form of slavery. It also condones the abolishment of some types of slavery. So then the Bible condones slavery and abolishment of slavery.

For clarity on the entire thread, I fully admit that the Bible doesn't condemn all forms of slavery while I personally do. I don't think it dictates slavery either. It is descriptive about slavery, but that isn't condoning or condemning. The idea that it DOES specifically mention freeing slaves, is abolitionist. I know you must really want it seem like a figment of your imagination, but it appears you have blinders on too.

(August 3, 2021 at 4:13 pm)Deesse23 Wrote:

1.  "which thou shalt have, ...of them shall ye buy " = "whom you may have: you may buy" I already clearly showed my reasoning on this. Maybe the Common English Bible translation will clear this up, "Regarding male or female slaves that you are allowed to have: You can buy a male or a female slave from the nations that are around you."

2. To answer your question "IF the bible prohibits SOME instances of slavery, then it does NOT prohibit some OTHER instances of slavery, right?" The Bible does prohibit some people from being slaves. Your very own position pivots on the 'doesn't prohibit'. By your own admission the Bible doesn't dictate people own slaves. I think we're getting hung up on the word supporting vs dictating. I think you and I both know and agree that the Bible doesn't Dictate people have slaves, just what to do with them. Is that correct? 

3. "What does person x do if it supports SOME instances of activity y? Does that mean person x does NOT support activity y AT ALL?" Person x supporting some instance of y would support (in all cases or partially) activity y. I don't equate supporting or encouraging something the same as you I believe. If x prohibits SOME instances of y, and it does NOT prohibit some OTHER instances of y, then all that can be said is that x prohibits y. I think you are jumping to x supports y in some instances without citing where x said to go do y. I think you're saying by not condemning slavery as a whole you feel the Bible is supportive of it (or at least some instances of it). Is that correct?

4." while not endorsing SOME instances of slavery, it does endorse SOME instances of slavery." If it endorses (from my perspective) slavery in any sense it supports slavery. I just don't see where it is endorsing (from my understanding) slavery simply by not condemning slavery entirely or being descriptive about what to do in the situation you have slaves. Perhaps it would help me if you provided your definition here of endorse as I don't think we're on the same page there. Simply looking at  Paul's letters to Philemon about accepting back his slave as his brother instead of a slave should indicate an abolitionist stance to slave ownership.

@Spongebob A blanket generalization such as "Christianity completely supportive of both" is a positive claim and a hasty generalization you're going to have to support. Feel free to jump in though with something more substantive.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(August 3, 2021 at 7:09 pm)tackattack Wrote: @Spongebob A blanket generalization such as "Christianity completely supportive of both" is a positive claim and a hasty generalization you're going to have to support. Feel free to jump in though with something more substantive.

Hmmm, how's about responding to what I actually said instead of a context-free extraction, champ.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
-And that's how we lose the thread, Tack. First you contend that you do not see a thing..and then, breathlessly, transisition into exaltation of the very thing you just claimed not to see. Not here for it. Insult someone else, and insult yourself, on someone else's time. Meanwhile, magic book condones -no- abolishment of slavery. None. Zilch. Nada. If these are your criteria, it fails by your own criteria. It does endorse the shit you've been maintaining that it doesn;t, it does command the shit you've been claiming that it doesn't, ..and it doesnt do the modifying thing..already a concession, that you now insist.

That's you. You're doing that. Not magic book. Not the culture that wrote it. It's how you see it but not how they saw it or indeed how they wrote it. What it does, what they did, what's actually in it - all of your own failure conditions. -and yet.....we have to bicker as though we don't both read the same words in the same language, on the same page. I get that you want it to be better than it is. That's why I think that you're a decent person whereas Huggy, for example, is a piece of shit..but has a more true to text faith than you.

You argue it doesn't say what it does, he attempts to argue that what it manifestly and inarguably does say.... isn't bad. Think about it. I respect the difficulty of the position that contemporary christians find themselves in. Rock and a hard place. On the one hand, asserting the contents makes them an asshole to their peers -christian and otherwise-. On the other, failure to assert the contents makes them unfaithful compared to their christian peers who will and do.

That's why, I think, theism circles the sewer by default. Theres a demonstrable pressure to have the most garbage take in the room - for god. Taking the high road is negatively valued and faith denying, whereas going full on gutter trash is religiously pious but practically deleterious.

You end your request to another poster by asking for something substantive - as if it would matter. You're aware of the substance, and committed to denying it, and even your own awareness. He could bring more substance, you will do more of the same. Shameful - and pointless.

Christianity as an ideology inherently and explicitly supports both slavery and misogny - but you don't. You disagree with your own silly religion on this - which I think is a good thing..but it's clearly optional and extrabiblical.

(August 3, 2021 at 3:47 pm)Huggy Bear Wrote: You claim I endorsed slavery.

*emphasis mine*
Post the quote.
Go fuck yourself.  You said what you said, and the thread exists for anyone to read. This is just you being an asshole on top of being the piece of shit you already declared yourself to be.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 3, 2021 at 11:52 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Go fuck yourself.  You said what you said, and the thread exists for anyone to read.  This is just you being an asshole on top of being the piece of shit you already declared yourself to be.
Oh, so you can't find any quotes? Are bald faced liars that claim someone said something they never said, and continue to double down without providing any evidence, pieces of shit?

Someone help this delusional clown try and find a quote of where I "endorsed" slavery...
(August 3, 2021 at 7:09 pm)tackattack Wrote: I follow Jesus and as to which Paul quote I ignore, neither. I accept both. They are not contradictory. Slaves should obey their masters. + All people are one in Christ clearly means: If you're a person who is a slave... be an obedient one, because we're all the same in Christ master and slave. The Bible does speak of abolishment of slavery in certain instances. The Bible does prescribe people be taken as prisoners of war, which I already conceded. You defined prisoners of war as slaves; so for the sake of our discussion the Bible does condone some type of slavery, specifically prisoners of war. 
Thus by my below logic, the answer to this thread is if you consider prisoners of war as slaves then the Bible does condone some form of slavery. It also condones the abolishment of some types of slavery. So then the Bible condones slavery and abolishment of slavery.

For clarity on the entire thread, I fully admit that the Bible doesn't condemn all forms of slavery while I personally do. I don't think it dictates slavery either. It is descriptive about slavery, but that isn't condoning or condemning. The idea that it DOES specifically mention freeing slaves, is abolitionist. I know you must really want it seem like a figment of your imagination, but it appears you have blinders on too.

1.  "which thou shalt have, ...of them shall ye buy " = "whom you may have: you may buy" I already clearly showed my reasoning on this. Maybe the Common English Bible translation will clear this up, "Regarding male or female slaves that you are allowed to have: You can buy a male or a female slave from the nations that are around you."

2. To answer your question "IF the bible prohibits SOME instances of slavery, then it does NOT prohibit some OTHER instances of slavery, right?" The Bible does prohibit some people from being slaves. Your very own position pivots on the 'doesn't prohibit'. By your own admission the Bible doesn't dictate people own slaves. I think we're getting hung up on the word supporting vs dictating. I think you and I both know and agree that the Bible doesn't Dictate people have slaves, just what to do with them. Is that correct? 

3. "What does person x do if it supports SOME instances of activity y? Does that mean person x does NOT support activity y AT ALL?" Person x supporting some instance of y would support (in all cases or partially) activity y. I don't equate supporting or encouraging something the same as you I believe. If x prohibits SOME instances of y, and it does NOT prohibit some OTHER instances of y, then all that can be said is that x prohibits y. I think you are jumping to x supports y in some instances without citing where x said to go do y. I think you're saying by not condemning slavery as a whole you feel the Bible is supportive of it (or at least some instances of it). Is that correct?

4." while not endorsing SOME instances of slavery, it does endorse SOME instances of slavery." If it endorses (from my perspective) slavery in any sense it supports slavery. I just don't see where it is endorsing (from my understanding) slavery simply by not condemning slavery entirely or being descriptive about what to do in the situation you have slaves. Perhaps it would help me if you provided your definition here of endorse as I don't think we're on the same page there. Simply looking at  Paul's letters to Philemon about accepting back his slave as his brother instead of a slave should indicate an abolitionist stance to slave ownership.

The lenghts you are willing to go through to defend this are really amazing. The obfuscation, strawmen anf absurdities you utter make it abundantly clear that any conversation beyond this point is useless. You are even willing to abandon most simple, basic logic in your efforts to massage your book to say what you want it to say. You are deceiving yourself (and i completely agree with TGNs assessment of your, and Huggys, character).

Just a final example which makes it painfully obvious:

Quote:If x prohibits SOME instances of y, and it does NOT prohibit some OTHER instances of y, then all that can be said is that x prohibits y
Nope
All can be said is that x prohibits SOME instances of y (and it can be easily followed, if ones mind is not poisoned by religion, that x does NOT prohibit some OTHER instances of y). You just equate prohibiting y with prohibiting SOME of y by simply leaving out the upper case written word. Thats how far you go in your intellectual dishonesty.

As you said: You are better than your holy book, but you are bending over backwards to defend it. Think about it if you have some time, and if, some day, your indoctrination does not hinder you any more.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
Quote:If x prohibits SOME instances of y, and it does NOT prohibit some OTHER instances of y, then all that can be said is that x prohibits y

That is, perhaps, the shittiest logic I've ever heard.  So, to extrapolate, if a policeman shoots and kills an unarmed black man, then every police officer must shoot and kill every unarmed black man?

To address your earlier cop out statement.  What I actually said was that slavery was and had been an integral part of numerous ancient cultures since pre-history.  There is ample documentation of this in Egyptian, Greek, Hebrew, Roman, Persia and other cultures.  If you aren't aware of this, I suggest a deep dive into all of these histories.  Not only is it vastly educational but far more entertaining than watching Netflix.  Fully half of the Holy Bible is based on the Tanakh, which refers to slavery many times but never, ever declares it to be illegal or even unethical.  It's not even one of god's 10 commandments.  Even worse, the 9th commandment bans people from coveting their neighbors slaves!!!  So it's illegal to covet a slave, but not illegal to own a slave.  How fucked up is that?

Further, all through the New Testament, which we all now know is a highly curated collection of disconnected religious doctrines and letters, there's not one single "book" dedicated to blasting people for owning slaves or exploiting people.  There is even evidence that the early church used slave labor.  The fact is plain and clear, slavery was commonplace and anyone who opposed it would have been on the fringe of society.  That doesn't mean there weren't people who opposed slavery (other than slaves, that is).  I'm sure they existed, but were clearly not in a position to do much about it.  The ideas of slavery being a bad thing developed slowly and was clearly not based on any specific scripture because said scripture either doesn't exist or it was destroyed by the early Christians who saw it as blasphemous.  The great Christian Emperor Constantine, who turned Christianity into a "real" religion didn't even ban slavery.  But he was extraordinarily generous to slaves, for he made it illegal to kill your slaves.  Wow, great guy.  Academically, this was actually a move more consistent with slave treatment from previous cultures.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
Quote:Oh, so you can't find any quotes? Are bald faced liars that claim someone said something they never said, and continue to double down without providing any evidence, pieces of shit?

Someone help this delusional clown try and find a quote of where I "endorsed" slavery...
The only liar here is you Diaper boy and your little hatchet job at the hall of shame only compounds your shittiness.

(August 3, 2021 at 11:52 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: -And that's how we lose the thread, Tack.  First you contend that you do not see a thing..and then, breathlessly, transisition into exaltation of the very thing you just claimed not to see.  Not here for it.  Insult someone else, and insult yourself, on someone else's time.  Meanwhile, magic book condones -no- abolishment of slavery.  None.  Zilch.  Nada.  If these are your criteria, it fails by your own criteria.  It does endorse the shit you've been maintaining that it doesn;t, it does command the shit you've been claiming that it doesn't, ..and it doesnt do the modifying thing..already a concession, that you now insist.  

That's you.  You're doing that.  Not magic book.  Not the culture that wrote it.  It's how you see it but not how they saw it or indeed how they wrote it.  What it does, what they did, what's actually in it - all of your own failure conditions.  -and yet.....we have to bicker as though we don't both read the same words in the same language, on the same page.  I get that you want it to be better than it is.  That's why I think that you're a decent person whereas Huggy, for example, is a piece of shit..but has a more true to text faith than you.  

You argue it doesn't say what it does, he attempts to argue that what it manifestly and inarguably does say.... isn't bad.  Think about it.  I respect the difficulty of the position that contemporary christians find themselves in.  Rock and a hard place.  On the one hand, asserting the contents makes them an asshole to their peers -christian and otherwise-.  On the other, failure to assert the contents makes them unfaithful compared to their christian peers who will and do.

That's why, I think, theism circles the sewer by default.  Theres a demonstrable pressure to have the most garbage take in the room - for god.  Taking the high road is negatively valued and faith denying, whereas going full on gutter trash is religiously pious but practically deleterious.

You end your request to another poster by asking for something substantive - as if it would matter.  You're aware of the substance, and committed to denying it, and even your own awareness.  He could bring more substance, you will do more of the same.  Shameful - and pointless.

Christianity as an ideology inherently and explicitly supports both slavery and misogny - but you don't.  You disagree with your own silly religion on this - which I think is a good thing..but it's clearly optional and extrabiblical.

(August 3, 2021 at 3:47 pm)Huggy Bear Wrote: You claim I endorsed slavery.

*emphasis mine*
Post the quote.
Go fuck yourself.  You said what you said, and the thread exists for anyone to read.  This is just you being an asshole on top of being the piece of shit you already declared yourself to be.
Now he's desperate enough to start shit-talking you in other threads 

https://atheistforums.org/thread-22972-p...pid2052642
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

We need a special thread, AF Motel, where fighting couples like Huggy and Nudger can go to resolve their differences and have makeup sex.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3913 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1896 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Was Christianity started to control the masses and dictate poltical agendas GODZILLA 126 22761 April 17, 2018 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why is Christianity and Islam so widely practiced? NuclearEnergy 12 2546 November 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Dawkins and Christianity rjh4 is back 56 19605 August 22, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why doesn't hell in Islam and Christianity have Cold as torture? Spixri 33 9530 April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  17 y/o YouTuber faces years in jail for insulting Islam and Christianity wolf39us 38 8109 June 2, 2016 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Aractus
  What is with refusing to admit slavery is wrong? ReptilianPeon 99 23564 August 25, 2015 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Divinity
  God in Christianity and Islam parakletos 24 6778 November 12, 2014 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: parakletos
  New age religions that threatens Atheists and Christianity repentsinners 5 1926 November 24, 2013 at 11:47 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen