Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 6, 2024, 6:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russia and Ukraine
RE: Russia and Ukraine
(April 1, 2022 at 11:50 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The Daily Mail posted a short video of part of the strike here.

Can't tell whose heloes those actually are, but they came in low, meaning below-radar, and at night, confusing visual ID. It's still surprising to not see any point-defense at all.

Would have had to no matter what the circumstances were.   They're not fast, they're not stealth, they're not even quiet.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 1, 2022 at 1:49 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Would have had to no matter what the circumstances were.   They're not fast, they're not stealth, they're not even quiet.

At 150' AGL, radar is not going to matter until they're very close to the radar-site, meaning tracking time, or even response time, is going to be foreshortened. Detection at a mile when the chopper is doing 120 IAS gives the defenses about 30 seconds' response time before the attack commences

And while the choppers were certainly heard, at night, with transponders off, there could well have been enough uncertainty about ID/IFF that any SAM assets in the area withheld fire until confirming ID.

I'm just throwing out a couple of possibilities to explain the lack of return fire.

Absolutely, plenty of ways it could have went down. Each and every one exposing a particular failure of russian command.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The Russian government is threatening to fine Wikipedia if it doesn't remove content that contradicts its narrative about the war in Ukraine.

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/01/109027918...pedia-fine
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
[Image: pvXRERp.jpeg]

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
More corrections, or potential corrections....I posited that russian APC losses indicated that russian btgs, which were designed for defense, were having issues maintaining their defensive perimeter after contact. Ukrainian soldiers claim that it's even worse than that. That the russian infantry are worthless cowards who refuse to dismount and are..instead..trying to use the APCs up front with the tanks. This is a vary bad idea, tantamount to riding into battle in your own coffin.

If true, this puts germany's decision to provide ukraine with ifvs in context. IFV is to APC what ukrainian tractors are to russian tanks. Also, if true, I 'd like to point out that we've been crediting the wrong people with russias past military success. Their local paramilitaries, largely missing in the current conflict, were doing the hard work.
I’m starting to hear what strikes me as a monumentally stupid argument, to wit that the West should stop supplying Ukraine. This would help ensure a Russian victory, speed the war to a conclusion, and reduce suffering in the civilian population.

The geopolitical consequences aside, an occupying military force nearly always provokes an insurgency, which triggers reprisals against civilians. A long, drawn out insurgency would increase, not decrease, suffering.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
if we look at what russia’s short term and long term objectives in Ukraine is, and how much of price russia must pay to attain those objectives compare to how much she has already paid, it becomes clear Russia really no longer has any interest in ending this war relatively quickly.   

A quick war may have been russia’s original goal, to defeat ukraine quickly, establish a pliant client state in an intact ukraine, and bound ukraine to russia economically abs administratively,

But that ship has sailed,   Instead I believe the Russia objective now is to keep the war going at a medium intensity for at least several years.   her goal is no longer to take and hold territory for strategic reasons, but to take, as well as to yield, territory as necessary purely tactically to keep the war going and lay waste to the most developed parts of ukraine.   The real objective is to turn the most productive part of ukrainian population, who inhabit the land that will be fought over, into refugees who will then leave ukraine.   most of them will never return.    This will cripple ukraine by depriving it of the most fundamental resource required for meaningful future nationalism.

so I expect Russia will now pull back from all the exposed tips of the initial offensives in order to shorten and straighten the front line.   This will allow the russian army greatly reduce the number of men required to hold the front, thus freeing up large number of units that can then form a new mobile reserve.

Russia will probably take care to not withdraw so far as to make it inconvenient to renew previous offensives.   the new mobile reserve will then conduct new offensives into ukraine for a different purpose.   The goal is not to take major Ukrainian cities but to fight over them and thus make them unfit for civilian occupation.    It will probably start doing this over this summer,  but will probably do this several more times over the next few years.  This makes these population into refugees.     if the war were to last years, much of the resulting refugee would leave ukraine to be settled in Europe or elsewhere,  where most of them will stay snd never come back yo ukraine.

And that would be the real objective.

Russia followed this policy between 1994-2002 in Chechnya.   And it worked.  the parallel between chechnya and ukraine is striking.   both began with a failed Russian coup de main to take the capital of an intransigent former client state, resulted in apparent success for the defenders and high russian casualties.  Russia responded by broadening her attacks on chechnya from conventional military territory grabbing attacks to a full spectrum of operations designed to dislocate civilian population, forcing refugees to migrate.   Russia also capitalized on the general proliferation of arms amongst the population resulting from the armed insurgency to set up local warlords the fragment the cohesion of organized resistance, until chechnya completely hollowed out.    Now chechnya is a member of the russian federation and run by one of the warlords russia cultivated.  

Now it only make sense for it to do this on much larger scale on ukraine.
Her goal is face-saving because she fucked up so hard and her only plan is to make it up as they go because they have no clue what they're doing because overconfident and expected Ukraine to simply rollover. This isn't some Napoleon-level tactical reassessment. This is a bunch of boozed-up old men realizing their delusions of glorious conquest has exploded in their faces and they are too deep to walk it back.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

a country that will fight a nuclear war over ukraine can’t care less about saving face over ukraine. Russia will destroy the world to forestall a nato ukraine, she will certainly destroy ukraine to forestall a nato ukraine.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  China & Russia Silver 32 3363 November 29, 2023 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  China and Russia's presidents -both- absent from the G20 WinterHold 16 1844 October 1, 2023 at 8:09 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Russia's massive brain drain is ravaging the economy LinuxGal 0 480 September 3, 2023 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Nato, Sweden, Vilnius, Ukraine etc. Nishant Xavier 53 4436 August 7, 2023 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Proxy war in Ukraine? Angrboda 151 8724 November 8, 2022 at 3:29 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Micheal Cohen lied about Russia Tower deal. Brian37 6 1070 November 29, 2018 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  BREAKING:Trump Promises Strike on Syria and Warns Russia Against Backing Assad WinterHold 20 4586 April 14, 2018 at 10:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  We may not be going into WW3 with Russia over Syria after all. Chad32 39 12833 July 16, 2017 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  U.S. War Plane Shoots Down A Syrian Jet: Russia Warns Of Consequences A Theist 40 15330 June 21, 2017 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Michael Flynn, national security adviser, resigns over Russia contacts c172 48 9917 February 18, 2017 at 11:40 am
Last Post: John V