Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 2:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Even if theism is a failure, it's still superior to atheism
RE: Even if theism is a failure, it's still superior to atheism
(November 3, 2022 at 4:45 am)rlp21858 Wrote: Grand Nudger: from what ive gathered about the term "atheism", i believe it only means a disbelief in idols, what i think youve called "narrative devices". i believe this agrees with Christianity; it speaks against idolatry too, the worship of anything we can see or detect. by "narrative device", i think you mean that it is only a reference to a much larger something "behind the scene." as a Christian, i believe this is true, up to and including Christ himself. so i think that, basically, God is the good that these devices have been referencing.

If you want to understand modern atheism, read Professor Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion; the Audible version is read by the author himself and his former wife, Linda Ward.
(November 3, 2022 at 4:45 am)rlp21858 Wrote: Grand Nudger: from what ive gathered about the term "atheism", i believe it only means a disbelief in idols, what i think youve called "narrative devices".  i believe this agrees with Christianity; it speaks against idolatry too, the worship of anything we can see or detect.  by "narrative device", i think you mean that it is only a reference to a much larger something "behind the scene."  as a Christian, i believe this is true, up to and including Christ himself.  so i think that, basically, God is the good that these devices have been referencing.

As far as I am concerned atheism is simply a disbelief in gods, nothing more.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(November 3, 2022 at 4:45 am)rlp21858 Wrote: Grand Nudger: from what ive gathered about the term "atheism", i believe it only means a disbelief in idols, what i think youve called "narrative devices".  i believe this agrees with Christianity; it speaks against idolatry too, the worship of anything we can see or detect.  by "narrative device", i think you mean that it is only a reference to a much larger something "behind the scene."  as a Christian, i believe this is true, up to and including Christ himself.  so i think that, basically, God is the good that these devices have been referencing.
The term atheist refers to anyone, who for any reason or no reason at all, doesn't believe in gods. 

When I say that the gods that christians believe in are a narrative device, I'm suggesting that they are fiction created to assert the moral view of their very human creators.  Nothing "behind the scenes", or even good.  In fact, I think that our monotheistic gods are uniquely bad in a way that polytheistic and deistic gods could never be.  This, in part, because they are totalitarian in nature - and in part because they come from the minds of people with poorly formed worldviews, and are reflections of those people, themselves. I'm an atheist by circumstance, an antitheist by consideration.

Neither thing, atheism or antitheism, agrees with christianity. You couldn't have gotten that more wrong. If there is no christian god, as I believe, then it's all pointless cruelty and foolishness. If there is, as I doubt, it's still pointless cruelty and foolishness. I have no interest in killing the better man to pay for my parking tickets, would not accept blood money for any reason, and have severe doubts about the character of anyone who would, or worse, would call any of that good. I do get, mind you, that most of you guys were saddled with this business from an early age. IDK if that makes it better, or somehow worse, but at least it's modifying for the individual, such that a person wouldn't have to be a monster to affirm monstrous things. Just raised that way. I have some experience with that, in other contexts.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 2, 2022 at 7:53 pm)rlp21858 Wrote: Boru: i dont understand: what do you mean by "have It removed"?

If God is within you, it is a canker, a cancerous infestation that knows no bounds - it contains until it consumes.

The procedure to remove involves just clear thinking, reason, and the ability to read books.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(November 3, 2022 at 6:54 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 2, 2022 at 7:53 pm)rlp21858 Wrote: Boru: i dont understand: what do you mean by "have It removed"?

If God is within you, it is a canker, a cancerous infestation that knows no bounds - it contains until it consumes.

The procedure to remove involves just clear thinking, reason, and the ability to read books.

Boru

No, "God" for most believers is much more practical; it's more about community and job networking, emotional comforts, personal meaning, a useful aphrodisiac for some men, a mitigation against male infidelity for some women, emotional management of little children for some families, comfortable employment opportunities for others, etc.

P.S. I would add an alternative to the intellectual laziness for still others.
Jehanne:reading the author's book would let me know his definition, but not that of any of the users here.

Grand Nudger: first, thank you for taking the time to explain this; i may read over this again. i hope you bear with me as i try to make sure i understand where you're coming from. is your perspective the result of the knowledge of the history of religions, and the process of how theyve all changed over time?

Boru: what is it that makes you believe God is cancerous? to answer a question youve asked in the past, if God is in us and God damns someone, i believe it means we've damned ourselves.
(November 3, 2022 at 10:50 am)rlp21858 Wrote: Jehanne:reading the author's book would let me know his definition, but not that of any of the users here.

Grand Nudger: first, thank you for taking the time to explain this; i may read over this again.  i hope you bear with me as i try to make sure i understand where you're coming from.  is your perspective the result of the knowledge of the history of religions, and the process of how theyve all changed over time?

Boru: what is it that makes you believe God is cancerous?  to answer a question youve asked in the past, if God is in us and God damns someone, i believe it means we've damned ourselves.

You’re entitled to believe whatever you like, but consider this: If God created everything in the universe, then God created the choices we make (if you maintain that God did not create our choices, they you need to concede that there are things God did not make). Since God created choices, God creates people for the express purpose of damning them. And if you’re one of those Biblical Christians, it’s even worse, as the Bible mentions God deliberately deluding people into damnation.

God is cancerous because belief in God makes most people malignant.

Boru
(November 3, 2022 at 10:50 am)rlp21858 Wrote: Jehanne:reading the author's book would let me know his definition, but not that of any of the users here.

I prefer the feminine, girly pronouns.
(November 3, 2022 at 9:46 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(November 3, 2022 at 6:54 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If God is within you, it is a canker, a cancerous infestation that knows no bounds - it contains until it consumes.

Boru

No, "God" for most believers is much more practical; it's more about community and job networking, emotional comforts, personal meaning, a useful aphrodisiac for some men, a mitigation against male infidelity for some women, emotional management of little children for some families, comfortable employment opportunities for others, etc.

P.S.  I would add an alternative to the intellectual laziness for still others.

You’re describing church, not God.

Boru
(November 3, 2022 at 12:09 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 3, 2022 at 9:46 am)Jehanne Wrote: No, "God" for most believers is much more practical; it's more about community and job networking, emotional comforts, personal meaning, a useful aphrodisiac for some men, a mitigation against male infidelity for some women, emotional management of little children for some families, comfortable employment opportunities for others, etc.

P.S.  I would add an alternative to the intellectual laziness for still others.

You’re describing church, not God.

Boru

The majority of believers attend church, at least once a year.

Dawn

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6977 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Ignosticism, Theism, or Gnostic Atheism vulcanlogician 55 4485 February 1, 2022 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: emjay
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1904 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Rational Theism Foxaèr 17 5459 May 2, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why are believers still afraid of death? Der/die AtheistIn 49 4915 March 8, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Poverty and Theism Flavius 57 16228 April 25, 2017 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Shell B
Question Is theism more rational in a pre-scientific context? Tea Earl Grey Hot 6 1589 March 7, 2017 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What is your specific level of Theism? ignoramus 26 3616 January 11, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheism and Theism Comparison The Joker 86 12558 November 21, 2016 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: Astreja
Question Even an atheist can say "the laws came from above", isn't it? theBorg 52 9301 October 3, 2016 at 9:02 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia