Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 3:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??...
RE: Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??...
(December 30, 2022 at 1:42 am)GrandizerII Wrote:
(December 29, 2022 at 5:09 pm)Jehanne Wrote: I think that the superposition principle from quantum mechanics casts doubt on the Aristotelian dialectic framework, or, to quote the philosopher John Locke,

Nah, it's a language matter, nothing more. The superpostion can be seen as comprising different instances of the "same" particle existing simultaneously at different positions, rather than the exact same particle existing at different positions at the same time.

Then again, I'm only addressing one of the two points make in Locke's quote, and possibly not understanding the point you're making here.

John Locke, all through his Essay, appeals to the Science of his day, praises Newton, etc., and argues, passionately (over and over, by his own admission), for Tabula rasa, a view that no cognitive scientist would hold to in our day. Still, Locke helped things keep moving (literally and figuratively) in the right direction.

Locke was wrong, as was Leibniz (as was Newton). Individual particles or systems of particles can exist in a superposition of states, and if we take Locke's words seriously, he was arguing against abstract ideas such as the Many Worlds interpretation of QM, while also arguing vehemently for the existence of God. Still, if he had lived in our day instead of his, he would have likely changed his mind, something that he also admitted to.

Locke was not a dogmatist; that's what made him great.
(October 8, 2010 at 9:27 pm)Tiberius Wrote: It depends on what you mean by "eternal". If you mean "for all time" then yes, since current theories state that time itself began with the Big Bang, which was the expansion of space/time and the "start" of the universe we live in.

If you mean instead "for infinity" (i.e. no start, no end) then the question is rather unanswerable, although it does form several philosophical questions, such as how you can ever get to a finite point in time (as we experience) when you have no reference on the infinite timeline.

What if I told you The Big Bang Theory is just Roman Catholic Propaganda that is wanting in terms of evidence.
(December 30, 2022 at 7:36 am)Authari Wrote:
(October 8, 2010 at 9:27 pm)Tiberius Wrote: It depends on what you mean by "eternal". If you mean "for all time" then yes, since current theories state that time itself began with the Big Bang, which was the expansion of space/time and the "start" of the universe we live in.

If you mean instead "for infinity" (i.e. no start, no end) then the question is rather unanswerable, although it does form several philosophical questions, such as how you can ever get to a finite point in time (as we experience) when you have no reference on the infinite timeline.

What if I told you The Big Bang Theory is just Roman Catholic Propaganda that is wanting in terms of evidence.

I'd say "back away from the pipe."

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

If you told us that then we would know you are a stupidly self-important but deeply ignorant and dishonesty would be huckster
(December 30, 2022 at 7:41 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(December 30, 2022 at 7:36 am)Authari Wrote: What if I told you The Big Bang Theory is just Roman Catholic Propaganda that is wanting in terms of evidence.

If you told us that then we would know you are a stupidly self-important but deeply ignorant and dishonesty would be huckster

The guy who came up with the Big Bang Theory was a Jesuit Priest though...

Science is just afraid to admit its wrong.
Science cares about the evidence in support of the idea, it doesn’t care who it is that came up with the idea.

What if I told you the very fellow who coined the term "Big Bang" to discredit it shut the fuck up after he saw the almost completely perfect black body spectrum of the cosmic microwave background radiation (and the imperfections themselves, called anisotropies, are themselves further confirmation of the theory)?
(December 30, 2022 at 7:58 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: Science cares about the evidence in support of the idea, it doesn’t care who it is that came up with the idea.

I'm just going to leave this video here for you, he's the Chief Scientist of LP Fusion and he and almost 250 other scientists have signed a petition asserting that The Big Bang Theory is false. (of which he is the person at the helm deconstructing the Big Bang Theory, think of him like the Richard Dawkins of The Big Bang Theory, if the BBT were Religion... which it is.

Administrator Notice
Link removed per 30/30 rules. 
Oh. Well if there's a Youtube video on it, that clinches it.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Like all theistic belief systems, I would say that they are simply Begging the Question.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 5539 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How is this possible? weaponoffreedom 77 5889 July 6, 2022 at 9:45 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Possible meteor storm tonight. Jehanne 17 1409 June 5, 2022 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1254 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Science Nerds: Could Jupiter's Magnetic Field be harvested for energy? vulcanlogician 28 2389 August 7, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 429 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2676 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4695 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Possible signs of life found in the atmosphere of Venus zebo-the-fat 11 1550 September 14, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is it ever physically possible for a broken egg to reassemble into an unbroken one? GrandizerII 39 4319 June 13, 2020 at 5:52 am
Last Post: UtilitarianDeist