Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 2:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
2024 US Presidential Election
RE: 2024 US Presidential Election
(February 8, 2024 at 3:59 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 8, 2024 at 3:49 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Oh, gotcha. I do agree, on all counts.

My point of view is this: Trump was a president before, and he can become the president again. I like to believe since he was president and nothing can change that fact, I would say that it does not matter if he is not president now when he was. Even though he is a former president, Trump should still be treated like a president even if he is not one now. He has the potential to become one again, after all, so since he is running, his being a president is on hold.

But I think once a person is president and has not served a second term at the least when they are defeated in an election, I think a person must thus serve two terms before the presidential status may not really apply to them anymore.

I realize this may not be so simple, so feel free to correct me on things, but that is my point of view on the matter.

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that a two-term president must not be treated as a former president?

Boru

Sorry.

Honestly, I think not "must", but I think a president who serves two terms may not have to be considered a president, since they can't really get another term to be president in, as presidents only get two terms in the USA.

But there is a reason I said "may". The thing is, while I do know some things about this issue, I am not too knowledgeable on the issue. In fact, the "after two terms for a president before they are not considered one" thing I said may be the other way around.

So, anyone is free to correct me on anything I said.

On a slightly different note, I would think that once a person is president, they will always be known as a president of the USA to the nation, and that is in the case of if they are running for president again too, like Trump, so I don't think that he should be let go that easily. Honestly, though, I acknowledge that all that is more in the historic sense, so I am not sure how much that will help against Trump, if at all.
(February 8, 2024 at 3:49 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: But I think once a person is president and has not served a second term at the least when they are defeated in an election, I think a person must thus serve two terms before the presidential status may not really apply to them anymore.

I completely disagree. If a President is voted out of office, the American people have spoken. Just because someone can be elected to another term is irrelevant. If they are voted out of office, they aren't President. Why should they enjoy the perks of the office at that point?

I'm a former USAF enlisted troop. Should I still get access to bases or secret material because I might reenlist?

(February 8, 2024 at 4:22 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(February 8, 2024 at 3:49 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: But I think once a person is president and has not served a second term at the least when they are defeated in an election, I think a person must thus serve two terms before the presidential status may not really apply to them anymore.

I completely disagree. If a President is voted out of office, the American people have spoken. Just because someone can be elected to another term is irrelevant. If they are voted out of office, they aren't President. Why should they enjoy the perks of the office at that point?

I'm a former USAF enlisted troop. Should I still get access to bases or secret material because I might reenlist?

Well, that is true, not to mention that Trump was mentioned a "citizen" in more recent times, something that angered him. Not to mention, maybe what I said was a what if kind of thing.

Still, I think a USAF troop and being president are two different things. However, allow me not to go there.

I still think Trump shouldn't get away with what he did. Plus, didn't he cause the insurrection while he was in his last days before Biden took over? Would that not count there?

Besides, isn't being a troop not necessarily being a leader of something like being a president is? I think being a ruler like a president should be taken more seriously than that of a troop.
(February 8, 2024 at 4:26 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Not to mention, maybe what I said was a what if kind of thing.

It was a plain statement of opinion, it read to me. Fine, no prob, I simply and vigorously disagree with your opinion. I didn't see any "what if" written into your post, nor am I able to divine your intentions when they're not written; so I respond to your actual words.

(February 8, 2024 at 4:26 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Still, I think a USAF troop and being president are two different things. However, allow me not to go there.

The difference is one of degree, and not kind. Surely you understand the analogy, while not perfect, is indeed sound.

(February 8, 2024 at 4:26 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: I still think Trump shouldn't get away with what he did. Plus, didn't he cause the insurrection while he was in his last days before Biden took over? Would that not count there?

Would what not count there?

(February 8, 2024 at 4:44 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(February 8, 2024 at 4:26 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Not to mention, maybe what I said was a what if kind of thing.

It was a plain statement of opinion, it read to me.  Fine, no prob, I simply and vigorously disagree with your opinion. I didn't see any "what if" written into your post, nor am I able to divine your intentions when they're not written; so I respond to your actual words.

(February 8, 2024 at 4:26 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Still, I think a USAF troop and being president are two different things. However, allow me not to go there.

The difference is one of degree, and not kind. Surely you understand the analogy, while not perfect, is indeed sound.

(February 8, 2024 at 4:26 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: I still think Trump shouldn't get away with what he did. Plus, didn't he cause the insurrection while he was in his last days before Biden took over? Would that not count there?

Okay then. Well anyways, yes, Trump is a former president, but he caused the insurrection while he was STILL president.

What I was trying to say was, while Trump is a former president now, would his causing the insurrection still count as a presidential crime since it basically was done during his last days of presidency or no?
(February 8, 2024 at 4:26 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Besides, isn't being a troop not necessarily being a leader of something like being a president is? I think being a ruler like a president should be taken more seriously than that of a troop.

Both are agents of the US government. Both may have access to top secret materials. And contrary to your assertion, the President is not a "ruler". The President is an officer of the US government.

I personally think every single American citizen in good standing should be taken equally seriously. "Some are 'more equal than others'" belongs in Animal Farm and not our society.

(February 8, 2024 at 4:57 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(February 8, 2024 at 4:26 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Besides, isn't being a troop not necessarily being a leader of something like being a president is? I think being a ruler like a president should be taken more seriously than that of a troop.

Both are agents of the US government. Both may have access to top secret materials. And contrary to your assertion, the President is not a "ruler". The President is an officer of the US government.

I personally think every single American citizen in good standing should be taken equally seriously. "Some are 'more equal than others'" belongs in Animal Farm and not our society.

Well, that makes sense, but I was expecting you to reply to this.

(February 8, 2024 at 4:47 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote:
(February 8, 2024 at 4:44 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: It was a plain statement of opinion, it read to me.  Fine, no prob, I simply and vigorously disagree with your opinion. I didn't see any "what if" written into your post, nor am I able to divine your intentions when they're not written; so I respond to your actual words.

Okay then. Well anyways, yes, Trump is a former president, but he caused the insurrection while he was STILL president.

What I was trying to say was, while Trump is a former president now, would his causing the insurrection still count as a presidential crime since it basically was done during his last days of presidency or no?

Basically, I think, in my point of view, that with what I said here, I am not sure if Trump should be exempt since this was done during his presidency. Now, if this was not done during his presidency, however...that would be a different story.
(February 8, 2024 at 4:47 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Okay then. Well anyways, yes, Trump is a former president, but he caused the insurrection while he was STILL president.

Yes, he may be prosecuted for crimes committed in office. That's exactly the nature of Jack Smith's charges currently being adjudicated, insurrection charges.

(February 8, 2024 at 5:02 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(February 8, 2024 at 4:47 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Okay then. Well anyways, yes, Trump is a former president, but he caused the insurrection while he was STILL president.

Yes, he may be prosecuted for crimes committed in office. That's exactly the nature of Jack Smith's charges currently being adjudicated, insurrection charges.

Then that is basically all I have to know, then, and all I have to say.

Except for one thing; my bad on the assumption on the "being charged as a president even though one is not a president anymore (in terms of the two terms thing), I don't know what went over me there, even though I did ask for any corrections, but yeah...I could have done better than that.
(February 8, 2024 at 12:30 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(February 6, 2024 at 4:43 am)Belacqua Wrote: Here he is saying that he met "Mitterrand from Germany I mean from France" shortly after he was elected. 

Mitterrand had been dead for over 20 years. 

However he compares to Trump, I don't think we should say that he's good at public speaking. 

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/oRw4ACNbr24

I have been known to say things the are factually wrong that I should have known were wrong. That must mean I have dementia, eh?

Once every now and then? No. If you do it routinely and consistently enough? Then yes, there is a significant probability you do. 

I understand why so many liberals on here don't realize how bad his mental acumen really is. Not your fault. If you're a mainstream lib, you watch liberal cable news and your algorithms are classified as "moderate Democrat." You won't see any really bad Biden moments because your choice of news outlets and social media algorithms sheltered you from them. 

Just like the conservatives won't see Trump's dumbest moments.

You sit here and think, "How the hell can anyone vote for Trump, he is so clearly braindead?" Guess what they're thinking? "How the hell can anyone vote for Biden, he is so clearly braindead?" Unfortunately I think both sides are right. You know who doesn't come across as braindead? Bernard Sanders. Oh lord, what could have been in 2016...
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1220 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why Trump will win in 2024. Jehanne 237 22643 December 22, 2022 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 955 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Who will be next Republican presidential candidate? Fake Messiah 28 1772 June 13, 2022 at 2:49 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Biden's first Presidential adress. Brian37 11 1100 April 30, 2021 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Mail in voting/ and election day. Brian37 6 899 October 25, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 5969 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1679 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Your Presidential Candidate. onlinebiker 17 2050 November 2, 2019 at 1:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  trump the republican asks communist china to investigate his potential election rival Anomalocaris 10 1158 October 4, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris