Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 18, 2024, 12:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dying Well
RE: Dying Well
(April 7, 2024 at 11:08 am)h4ym4n Wrote: Death is a design flaw

Why sweat it? It's gonna happen.
(April 7, 2024 at 2:55 am)Belacqua Wrote: We live in an extremely liberal time, in which living one's own way is seen as the best thing. People will assert this as if it is dogmatically true.

Hi, Belacqua. Thanks for the thoughtful reply. 

I can't shake the suspicion that, regardless of time or place, living our own way is our only option. The reckless narcissistic hedonist and the devout religious ascetic live substantially different lives outwardly, but each one has inwardly answered the how-shall-I-live question in the same way: I live in the manner that seems best (or in the words you used above, is seen as the best). 

The religious man can (and often will) claim that he lives a life founded upon a set of principles that are objectively and unalterably true, but he has come to that conclusion in an entirely subjective manner: via his own experiences and understanding. This to me seems synonymous with "living one's own way."
(April 7, 2024 at 6:23 am)brewer Wrote: Can someone here define 'dying well'? To me, unless the person is in total control of their death (means/method) this sounds like fantasy. It may be interesting to discuss but I doubt it rarely happens no matter what culture the person lives/dies in.

I can't define it. Not today anyway. And I echo your sentiments about the element of control.

Speaking of fantasy, maybe it's time for me to resume my search for the fountain of youth.
(April 7, 2024 at 8:03 am)Belacqua Wrote: Humbert Humbert was free to live as he wanted, and not as others thought he should live, for a few years anyway.

I don't think very many people would say that he lived a good life.

You realize that he’s a fictional character, right?

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(April 7, 2024 at 11:57 am)Jamie Boy Wrote:
(April 7, 2024 at 6:23 am)brewer Wrote: Can someone here define 'dying well'? To me, unless the person is in total control of their death (means/method) this sounds like fantasy. It may be interesting to discuss but I doubt it rarely happens no matter what culture the person lives/dies in.

I can't define it. Not today anyway. And I echo your sentiments about the element of control.

Speaking of fantasy, maybe it's time for me to resume my search for the fountain of youth.

At my age I simply want to slow the decline into decrepitude. (some think I'm there already)

Many of the contributors here have discussed this in the past but I'll ask you. In the event that you're facing an unpleasant death and still retain the faculties that would let you make a choice, have you thought of an exit plan?
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
Dying, well, it's not being alive.

[Image: 440px-The_More_You_Know_2023.png]
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I guess people who die, and stay dead have done it well. It's those shirking slackers who've been resuscitated that are the failures at the dieing.
(April 7, 2024 at 1:36 pm)brewer Wrote: In the event that you're facing an unpleasant death and still retain the faculties that would let you make a choice, have you thought of an exit plan?

I've not yet put much thought into it, brewer. My state of residence (California) does have an end-of-life option in place; so, I would have that option if I were on the receiving end of a terminal diagnosis.
(April 7, 2024 at 3:11 pm)Jamie Boy Wrote:
(April 7, 2024 at 1:36 pm)brewer Wrote: In the event that you're facing an unpleasant death and still retain the faculties that would let you make a choice, have you thought of an exit plan?

I've not yet put much thought into it, brewer. My state of residence (California) does have an end-of-life option in place; so, I would have that option if I were on the receiving end of a terminal diagnosis.

I suggest that at some point you consider creating a detailed living will.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
I've had a living will on file at the VA hospital since I got married last time. I decided what was going to happen to me. Now she just has to nod at the right spots and things go the way I wanted them to go.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] comforting the dying ColeDavis 31 3016 November 20, 2023 at 2:34 am
Last Post: ColeDavis
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 13160 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Well that was a short friendship Doubting Thomas 13 1838 January 21, 2017 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3444 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Well shit... Socratic Meth Head 22 3554 June 15, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: RozKek
  Why religion is dying my perspective dyresand 10 2631 October 15, 2015 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Censorship is alive and well! Andreas Economou 10 2774 September 25, 2015 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Andreas Economou
  atheist as well as conspiracy theorist? Athene 15 3763 August 6, 2015 at 12:34 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Well... dyresand 7 3823 January 20, 2015 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  The most well fucked up thing. dyresand 0 888 November 3, 2014 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: dyresand