Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 4:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Atheism is a religion
RE: Atheism is a religion
(January 5, 2012 at 9:02 am)amkerman Wrote: The fact that so many of you are offended at the statement, "atheism is a religion," shows just how much of a religion atheism is. That statement is not an attack on atheism, nor is it an attack on religion. It's simply an observation of how individuals who have coalesced around a particular belief (or lack thereof, in the case of atheism) tend to identify with others of similar persuasions.

Unlike the abrahamic religions?

(January 5, 2012 at 9:02 am)amkerman Wrote: Look how many of you have flocked to "atheist forums". Look at how so many of you deride the belief in God as stupid, or those who believe in God as such. While personally I'm sure that none of your beliefs stem from your "atheistic" leanings, you should be aware that to outgroups (in this case anyone who isn't atheist) it readily appears that they do, since you have adopted the label yourselves.

I personally don't do labels...the label "atheism" is mostly from theists I find

(January 5, 2012 at 9:02 am)amkerman Wrote: All a religion is is a group of people who think the same way about God. That is exactly what atheism is.

So this petty lilttle group called "atheists" are no better than the petty little groups known as "theists"?

(January 5, 2012 at 9:02 am)amkerman Wrote: The funny thing is ANYONE who thinks labels are predictive of anything. They are heuristics society uses so we can point fingers more easily. Personal responsibility only has any meaning to those who ate "like" us (whatever particular ingroup you are referring to) when talking about outgroups behavior is incorrectly relegated to the group rather than the individuals which occupy positions within that group.

So why do you persist if you are trying to take the moral 'high ground'?

(January 5, 2012 at 9:02 am)amkerman Wrote: It's high school psychology stuff folks. Really not that hard. THOSE PEOPLE... it's all racism by another name.

So why do theists persist in this "racism by another name" of yours acke?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(January 5, 2012 at 9:02 am)amkerman Wrote: The fact that so many of you are offended at the statement, "atheism is a religion," shows just how much of a religion atheism is.

Stupidity is always offensive.

amkerman Wrote:All a religion is is a group of people who think the same way about God. That is exactly what atheism is.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion+

Notice how religion is defined as a set of beliefs. If you took the time to ask, you would realize that the only thing atheists have in common is not believing in god.

amkerman Wrote:It's high school psychology stuff folks. Really not that hard. THOSE PEOPLE... it's all racism by another name.

I think the word you're looking for is prejudice.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
... really? K. I guess I'll "respond" to your defense of an illusory argument...

"unlike abrahamic ones?"
- no. And, to be fair, I made mention of no religions besides atheism in my post, which was in response to the op, so the question is off topic. Looks like your trying to pick a fight where none exists.

"I personally don't do labels... The label is mostly from theists..."
- ok. You do notice that right under the names on this site there is a place for "religious views"? You do notice many people have "atheist" or some iteration thereof in that spot. Did the theists put it there? I will make no claim to whether theists label atheists as such moreso than atheists label themselves as such or not. As it stands your claim is baseless until you provide scientific evidence. Your belief based upon your personal "observation" is strikingly similar to theists "observation" of the world and their belief in God. That's just MY observation.

"so this petty little group..."
- "petty is your word, not mine, but yes.

"so why do you persist if you are trying to take the moral high ground."
- WHAT? no, seriously, what? Why do I persist in what? Where did I take the moral high ground. Just because someone points out the psychological errors committed by the vast majority of human beings doesn't mean they have taken "the moral high ground". It just means they are aware of human psychology...

"so why do theists persist in their 'racism'"
- in one ear out the other. Work on reading comprehension. Sincerely. The whole point was that individuals exhibit behaviors, not groups. I just explained in group bias to YOU and YOU make the mistake of committing it by attributing the "racism" to ALL THEISTS...

Irony at it's finest.
Faith: sets can be singular. Or are you arguing semantics...
More accurately: a single apple is still technically a "set"
Yes. "Prejudice" is a word I could have used instead of "racism by another name".
(January 5, 2012 at 9:36 am)amkerman Wrote: ... really? K. I guess I'll "respond" to your defense of an illusory argument...

Quote:"unlike abrahamic ones?"
- no. And, to be fair, I made mention of no religions besides atheism in my post, which was in response to the op, so the question is off topic. Looks like your trying to pick a fight where none exists.

Quote:"I personally don't do labels... The label is mostly from theists..."
- ok. You do notice that right under the names on this site there is a place for "religious views"? You do notice many people have "atheist" or some iteration thereof in that spot. Did the theists put it there? I will make no claim to whether theists label atheists as such moreso than atheists label themselves as such or not. As it stands your claim is baseless until you provide scientific evidence. Your belief based upon your personal "observation" is strikingly similar to theists "observation" of the world and their belief in God. That's just MY observation.

Quote:"so this petty little group..."
- "petty" is your word, not mine, but yes.

Quote:"so why do you persist if you are trying to take the moral high ground."
- WHAT? no, seriously, what? Why do I persist in what? Where did I take the moral high ground. Just because someone points out the psychological errors committed by the vast majority of human beings doesn't mean they have taken "the moral high ground". It just means they are aware of human psychology...

Quote:"so why do theists persist in their 'racism'"
- in one ear out the other. Work on reading comprehension. Sincerely. The whole point was that individuals exhibit behaviors, not groups. I just explained in group bias to YOU and YOU make the mistake of committing it by attributing the "racism" to ALL THEISTS...

Irony at it's finest.
Faith: sets can be singular. Or are you arguing semantics...
More accurately: a single apple is still technically a "set"
Yes. "Prejudice" is a word I could have used instead of "racism by another name".

Yep...you seem to be very good at it acke. Thanks for the AF Hall of Shame fodder. Thumb up
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
When you have no defensible position left: resort to personal jabs to make yourself look/feel good...
I can just picture an MRI of your brain Kichigai... It's working hard to reduce cognitive dissonance. Beliefs are difficult things to change. Once held, they are deeply entrenched in the human psyche. Acknowledging ones own shortcomings can have negative psychosomatic effects...

Keep on keeping on man. You are excellent in your averageness.
(January 5, 2012 at 10:12 am)amkerman Wrote: When you have no defensible position left: resort to personal jabs to make yourself look/feel good...
I can just picture an MRI of your brain Kichigai... It's working hard to reduce cognitive dissonance. Beliefs are difficult things to change. Once held, they are deeply entrenched in the human psyche. Acknowledging ones own shortcomings can have negative psychosomatic effects...

Keep on keeping on man. You are excellent in your averageness.

Oh acke you ARE a treasure!! And thankyou...I never did think of myself as anything special. My next MRI I'll post up for you mate Thumb up No worries
Personally. I like this site because it challenges my beliefs. I would hope atheists would gain more insight on other forums more heavily populated by those who believe in God. Unfortunately, most people actively seek information to support their beliefs, thus strengthening them. It's called confirmation bias and it has a polarizing effect which can be seen exhibited by some here, who automatically go one the defensive anytime someone says they believe in God.
TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote:Given the rare instance that you've apparently gone to great lengths to actually provide evidence, I actually wouldn't do you justice if I just took all your work at your word as presented.

sorry it took me so long. here's a video that explains the evidence in great detail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CycbvARsxWU

here's another link
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread390640/pg1

Mister Agenda Wrote:Um, chipan? Theism isn't a religion, either.

wow, that is the simplist and best arguement i've ever heard. good job.
Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

-4th verse of the american national anthem
Really?? That's nice to hear...I like this site because of the intellect of the posters on here...learn something new every day... just amazing.

Sorry but theism of any water is just another fairy story to me.
(January 5, 2012 at 9:02 am)amkerman Wrote: It's high school psychology stuff folks. Really not that hard. THOSE PEOPLE... it's all racism by another name.

Discrimination based on “who they are” is criminal but based on “what they have done” is not.
Your group of theists in the course of its very long history has committed a lot of crimes. I am not an atheist for not believing in God –too childish a reason for being an anti-theist and besides I am sure that neither the Pope believes in gods, he is too well educated for that- but because I’ve studied your history.

Theism is a political party which has the power to oblige schools universally to teach only what harms not religion. If it was not for that, atheists would know better than actually being just agnostics.
"Culture is memory"

Yuri Lotman

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 6635 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 14445 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 5281 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 25816 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 6577 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 9193 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 29161 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Yes, Atheism is a Religion Delicate 278 49804 December 22, 2015 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  No, Atheism isn't a Religion Napoléon 14 3476 December 14, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Comparing Religion to Fairy Tales and Myths Equal Atheism ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 13 4965 July 22, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: robvalue