Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 1:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Primordial Sex--Eden as Allegory
RE: Primordial Sex--Eden as Allegory
Hehehe I know I'm glutton for punishment, but I know I've got a point.
~*~Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does ~*~

~*~Live a good life. If there are Gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are Gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no Gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones - Marcus Aurelius~*~
LarissaAnn Wrote:Again I am asking for your evidence that God has changed his stance on rape victims having to marry their rapists, nothing more, nothing less.

there is no such evidence. but this was something of their law. all punishments were enforced by the government and the source i already gave you says government can write all the laws they want and christians must obey them unless they require for you to do something against God's commandments or restrict you from following God's commandments. that's the best i can give you, and i hope you understand it and not do what most do and take it apart ridiculing them individually when it's meant to be taken as a whole.

LarissaAnn Wrote:therefore that can only mean he was going to do so to avoid pissing God off

no that's not why he was going to do it. he did it because he loved God above all else. he did not do so for reward.

LarissaAnn Wrote:YOU yourself said, if you do something just for the reward or avoiding wrath that you don't get God's reward....contradiction right there and that makes Abraham not a good follower, by your previous stance he should have grabbed the knife with glee and said "Time to go Junior!"

you assume he did so for reward or to avoid punishment but does it say that? he did so for the love of God.

LarissaAnn Wrote:LOL I'm not even going to touch the God vaccine, your statement about God "leading into temptation" is no different from a girlfriend asking her boyfriend "Does this make me look fat?" just to verify by manipulation that her boyfriend finds her beautiful. It's a pathetic move.

i'm sorry you don't understand. i hope you seek the answer and find it.
Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

-4th verse of the american national anthem
(January 4, 2012 at 7:03 am)chipan Wrote:
LarissaAnn Wrote:Again I am asking for your evidence that God has changed his stance on rape victims having to marry their rapists, nothing more, nothing less.

there is no such evidence. but this was something of their law. all punishments were enforced by the government and the source i already gave you says government can write all the laws they want and christians must obey them unless they require for you to do something against God's commandments or restrict you from following God's commandments. that's the best i can give you, and i hope you understand it and not do what most do and take it apart ridiculing them individually when it's meant to be taken as a whole.

LarissaAnn Wrote:therefore that can only mean he was going to do so to avoid pissing God off

no that's not why he was going to do it. he did it because he loved God above all else. he did not do so for reward.

LarissaAnn Wrote:YOU yourself said, if you do something just for the reward or avoiding wrath that you don't get God's reward....contradiction right there and that makes Abraham not a good follower, by your previous stance he should have grabbed the knife with glee and said "Time to go Junior!"

you assume he did so for reward or to avoid punishment but does it say that? he did so for the love of God.

LarissaAnn Wrote:LOL I'm not even going to touch the God vaccine, your statement about God "leading into temptation" is no different from a girlfriend asking her boyfriend "Does this make me look fat?" just to verify by manipulation that her boyfriend finds her beautiful. It's a pathetic move.

i'm sorry you don't understand. i hope you seek the answer and find it.

You're avoiding my question again:
It's either he still thinks as he did that rape victims should marry their attackers...which according to the bible he must since he never changes and never makes mistakes....or he has contradicted his own word and was mistaken, which is it?

I gave religion a go and there are no more answers it can give me that I don't already know or can't find in the bible and don't agree with. I was raised Lutheran and was religious much of my life, but on top of not feeling anything enriching to me personally in it anymore, hence feeling it to be nothing more than mythology, I also first and foremost see more hypocrisy and prejudice in it than anything good, though that is not to say I didn't find good in it, but I've found the hypocricy far outweighs the good.

~*~Live a good life. If there are Gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are Gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no Gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones - Marcus Aurelius~*~
LarissaAnn Wrote:You're avoiding my question again:

no i'm not. i answered your question flat out.
chipan Wrote:there is no such evidence. but this was something of their law.

LarissaAnn Wrote:I gave religion a go and there are no more answers it can give me that I don't already know or can't find in the bible and don't agree with. I was raised Lutheran and was religious much of my life, but on top of not feeling anything enriching to me personally in it anymore, hence feeling it to be nothing more than mythology,

well i'm sorry to hear that. many people leave the church because they don't sense the presense of God.

LarissaAnn Wrote:I also first and foremost see more hypocrisy and prejudice in it than anything good, though that is not to say I didn't find good in it, but I've found the hypocricy far outweighs the good.

what you need to understand is you can't understand the bible by reading a few sentences out of the book. you can't define any book with a few sentences. you really have to read it cover to cover to understand it. i know, it sounds like work but it's not just true for the bible, it's true for all books.

*quick interrupt here chip....

Many leave the church and your god BECAUSE they have read the bible IN IT'S ENTIRETY and no longer want to be associated with such nonsense.

This is something YOU must learn to understand.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
KichigaiNeko Wrote:Many leave the church and your god BECAUSE they have read the bible IN IT'S ENTIRETY and no longer want to be associated with such nonsense.

well i haven't heard any of those stories, but i have heard stories of athiests who really hate the bible try to prove it wrong and instead find more evidence supporting the accuracy of the bible and convert because of it. not scientists (because they just ignore the bible) but historians. there are a few scientists though.

(January 5, 2012 at 9:39 am)chipan Wrote:
KichigaiNeko Wrote:Many leave the church and your god BECAUSE they have read the bible IN IT'S ENTIRETY and no longer want to be associated with such nonsense.

well i haven't heard any of those stories, but i have heard stories of athiests who really hate the bible try to prove it wrong and instead find more evidence supporting the accuracy of the bible and convert because of it. not scientists (because they just ignore the bible) but historians. there are a few scientists though.

[Image: orly_bowie.jpg]
wiki Wrote:Quest for the historical Jesus
Main article: Quest for the historical Jesus
Traditionally, Western scholars considered the Gospel accounts of Jesus to be authoritative and inspired by God, but, starting in the late 18th century, scholars began to submit the Gospels to historical scrutiny. From 1744 to 1767, Hermann Samuel Reimarus composed a treatise rejecting miracles and accusing Bible authors of fraud, but did not publish his findings.[159][160] Gotthold Lessing published Reimarus's conclusions in the Wolfenbuettel fragments.[12] D.F.Strauss's biography of Jesus set Gospel criticism on its modern course.[12] Strauss explained gospel miracles as natural events misunderstood and misrepresented.[161] Joseph Renan was the first to portray Jesus simply as a human person.[12] Albrecht Ritschl had reservations about this project, but it became central to liberal Protestantism in Germany and to the Social Gospel movement in America.[12] Martin Kaehler protested, arguing that the true Christ is the one preached by the whole Bible, not a historical hypothesis.[12] William Wrede questioned the historical reliability of Mark.[12] Albert Schweitzer[162] showed how modern histories of Jesus had reflected the historians' bias.[12] Karl Barth and Rudolph Bultmann repudiated the quest for historical Jesus, suppressing any real interest in the topic from c 1920 to c 1970.[6] There was a brief New Quest movement in the 50s.[12] The 80s saw the founding of the controversial Jesus Seminar.[163] The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church states that historical efforts to construct a biography of Jesus are as strong as ever, thanks to better knowledge of 1st-century Judaism, a rebirth of Roman Catholic scholarship, the acceptance of historical methods across denominations, literary analysis of Jesus' sayings, and sociological insights.[12] However, Scot McKnight has said that the latest quest for the historical Jesus is dead.[164]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Jesus

You might want to re-read this again mate.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(January 5, 2012 at 9:22 am)chipan Wrote:
LarissaAnn Wrote:You're avoiding my question again:

no i'm not. i answered your question flat out.

ROFLOL No, no you haven't. It's a simple yes or no question, not a "What you have to understand is..." question. You've given attempts which I have refuted over and over again to which you've tried different attempts when it should be a clear yes or no question:

He does or he was mistaken.

I think...in fact I know....you just can't admit that you're following a religion that has no compassion whatsoever for rape victims and MANY other atrocities.

And I agree with KichigaiNeko, I don't believe in the bible because I don't agree with the things it says. I read it a lot when I was a teenager and I intend to read it cover to cover again soon...I think more atheists read the bible in it's entirety than Christians. For the mean time though I'll stick with The Iliad or Metamorphoses when I feel like reading mythology.

Ooooo Larissa!! There are sooo many mythologies to go through!! (including the bible...)

Big Grin Happy reading!!
(January 5, 2012 at 10:16 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Ooooo Larissa!! There are sooo many mythologies to go through!! (including the bible...)

Big Grin Happy reading!!

Oooh I hear you. I loooooooove Greek Mythology in particular, it's an obsession of mine.

Do you have any favorites?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ex-minister of secretive sect, admits to child sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 315 January 28, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Garden of Eden LinuxGal 4 508 October 19, 2023 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1333 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1165 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Did Mary and Joseph ever have sex? Fake Messiah 41 7770 March 18, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Fox News’ Father Jonathan Morris is Quitting the Priesthood So He Can Have Sex Fake Messiah 46 11096 June 7, 2019 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Drich
  Ex-Pope Benedict XVI blames 1960s revolution for sex abuse zebo-the-fat 27 3606 April 17, 2019 at 10:55 am
Last Post: brewer
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3943 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Archbishop Philip Wilson guilty of concealing child sex abuses zebo-the-fat 3 842 May 23, 2018 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Church of England 'colluded' with sex abuse bishop Peter Ball zebo-the-fat 4 1753 June 22, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: vorlon13