Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 7:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Atheism is a religion
RE: Atheism is a religion
Yes, I am condescending. It makes it easier for me to spot condescension.

You didn't provide a definition that backed up your false claim. You just spouted some nonsense about people being defensive when they are wrong. You have yet to prove anyone wrong, so you can slow your roll on that. You are literally making up definitions and going, "See how wrong and butthurt you are?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPWVq6MwW4E
(January 5, 2012 at 12:20 pm)amkerman Wrote: "your criminal actions"...

I don't think you understand what you are saying. That's like saying all whites are slavemasters bc Jefferson was. It's idiotic. People are individuals.
I made it clear: Discrimination based on “who they are” is criminal but based on “what they have done” is not.

Whites “are” whites but Nazis “made” a choice and became Nazis and thus they assume responsibility for the crimes of the Nazis.

As to theists’ criminal actions, how much do you know of the history of theism?
Or even better: how much of what is written in the OT you believe?

Have you read the last post in the thread about the passage in Mark 15:34?
Here is the passage from Ezekiel:

And the glory of the God of Israel was gone up from the cherub, whereupon he was, to the threshold of the house. And he called to the man clothed with linen, which had the writer's inkhorn by his side;

And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.
And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity.
(Ez. 9:3)

What do you think of all your God’s killings? It is all allegorical nonsense or what?

Did you ever wonder why all peoples on earth describe the gods as monstrous subhuman murderers?

For the expressions “slave of god,” “Shepherd,” “flock,” which are known from the oldest scriptures on earth, what explanation do you have?

Your god is your Shepherd and you, his slave, belong to his flock. How do you feel about that? Are you happy to be the slave of a wicked God?
"Culture is memory"

Yuri Lotman

(January 5, 2012 at 10:25 am)amkerman Wrote: *Snip* I would hope atheists would gain more insight on other forums more heavily populated by those who believe in God.

I think you'll find a lot of atheists have tried that - asking questions will get you banned when they know you're atheist. You don't tend to see the same thing on atheist forums, regardless of how ignorant, pompous and condescending some theists can be.

"No-one who decides that scientific evidence is not for him and that his own experience or the stories of others is the be all and end all of deciding what's true ever has the right to call people searching for reliable, repeatable evidence narrow-minded. That is hypocrisy of the most laughable kind." Derren Brown - Tricks of the Mind.
Michelle is right. Atheists are not welcome on theist sites. Most of them, anyway.
(January 5, 2012 at 5:48 am)dtango Wrote:
(January 4, 2012 at 6:49 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(January 4, 2012 at 4:27 am)dtango Wrote: Atheism is not a religion but it has to be if its goal is to prevail over theism.

Nothing can make atheism (or theism) a religion.
You mean "deism", I guess.

In fact, at all times there were either the fleshy material gods of the oral traditions or the representatives of the immaterial gods. Unfortunately, due to lack of information, this fact cannot be realized by atheists and thus there is talk and arguments about the existence of the gods/God of the clever representatives.

You can have an atheistic religion by getting rid of the priesthood.

Christians hated and did all they could to destroy ancient Greek civilization for being a civilization free of the class of the priests. But that is another fact that is hard to be realized by atheists because it is not only theists who are the victims of a culture dominated by priesthood and indifferent, guilty scholars.

Sorry to be confusing. I did mean theism. Theism is the condition of holding a belief that God (or gods) exist. It's an opinion on one topic. It doesn't amount to a religion, for the same reason that atheism doesn't. A religion is a belief system, and although not all belief systems are religions, one opinion does not a belief system make. Theism and atheism can be features of a religion, but in themselves can't be religions. It's perfectly possible to be an irreligous theist who believes in an intervening creator God that's barely defined, for instance. And an atheistic religion could certainly have priests. The only thing an atheistic religion can't have is a god.

(January 5, 2012 at 9:02 am)amkerman Wrote: The fact that so many of you are offended at the statement, "atheism is a religion," shows just how much of a religion atheism is. That statement is not an attack on atheism, nor is it an attack on religion. It's simply an observation of how individuals who have coalesced around a particular belief (or lack thereof, in the case of atheism) tend to identify with others of similar persuasions. Look how many of you have flocked to "atheist forums". Look at how so many of you deride the belief in God as stupid, or those who believe in God as such. While personally I'm sure that none of your beliefs stem from your "atheistic" leanings, you should be aware that to outgroups (in this case anyone who isn't atheist) it readily appears that they do, since you have adopted the label yourselves.

All a religion is is a group of people who think the same way about God. That is exactly what atheism is.

The offense is entirely of the same nature as having to deal with someone who insists that a speedboat is a canoe no matter how many times or how many ways the difference is explained. It's not the sentiment that's offensive, it's the stupidity.

(January 5, 2012 at 10:30 am)chipan Wrote:
Mister Agenda Wrote:Um, chipan? Theism isn't a religion, either.

wow, that is the simplist and best arguement i've ever heard. good job.

Thanks, I appreciate the appreciation!

Master: the offense is perceived affront to logic, rational, and intelligence. I do not believe faith based claims are an affront on any of those. The existence of God can neither be proven nor disproven. Science offers no evidence either way. Science to date fails to recognize God as a subject worthy of inquiry precisely because God is not subject to rigorous proof. Much the same way that the science itself is not subject to rigorous proof. We can not get outside of consciousness to observe it's validity. As such, all claims about God are non-offensive. Any offense is simply due to a contrary belief to your own. I am not offended when people say there is no God. I simply disagree.
(January 6, 2012 at 12:11 am)amkerman Wrote: Master: the offense is perceived affront to logic, rational, and intelligence. I do not believe faith based claims are an affront on any of those. The existence of God can neither be proven nor disproven. Science offers no evidence either way. Science to date fails to recognize God as a subject worthy of inquiry precisely because God is not subject to rigorous proof. Much the same way that the science itself is not subject to rigorous proof. We can not get outside of consciousness to observe it's validity. As such, all claims about God are non-offensive. Any offense is simply due to a contrary belief to your own. I am not offended when people say there is no God. I simply disagree.

Wink Shades

Let me know when you crawl out this latest verbal fau pas acke.... Confused Fall
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(January 5, 2012 at 10:46 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Sorry to be confusing. I did mean theism. Theism is the condition of holding a belief that God (or gods) exist. It's an opinion on one topic. It doesn't amount to a religion, for the same reason that atheism doesn't. A religion is a belief system, and although not all belief systems are religions, one opinion does not a belief system make.

Philosophically thinking you can reach any conclusions you aim to!

To me theism is the oldest social system on earth with anti-theism born out of reaction against the ills of theism.
Priesthood is theism’s army.
(January 5, 2012 at 10:46 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: The only thing an atheistic religion can't have is a god.

That’s where you are entirely wrong.
An anti-theistic system will be worshiping a god-hating or god-fighting god such as Loki or Seth.

Surely you know about theomachy. Gods have been fighting against gods since time immemorial and, of course, your own God is no exemption. He complains for rebellion. No?

Ever wondered why should anyone rebel against a righteous god/God?

"Culture is memory"

Yuri Lotman

amkerman Wrote:Faith: sets can be singular. Or are you arguing semantics...

Maybe I am being a bit semantic with their definition, but when I read 'set of beliefs,' I immediately thought of multiple beliefs. So I guess it boils down to how you define 'atheism,' which I argue is merely the lack of belief and not a belief in and of itself.

Let's set this aside for now, and I'd like you to answer a question for me. Is it possible for a person to not be part of any religion?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Quote:I would hope atheists would gain more insight on other forums more heavily populated by those who believe in God.
We do try, it's just we're often banned on the spot. Religious forums have proven to be very intolerant.
I was banned before I could post anything, because I had 'Atheist' in my sig.

All I've learnt from them is just how blind, hateful and intolerant they are. Such behaviour shouldn't be given any attention or consideration.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5397 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 11933 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4633 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24997 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 6204 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8728 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27851 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Yes, Atheism is a Religion Delicate 278 45777 December 22, 2015 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  No, Atheism isn't a Religion Napoléon 14 3314 December 14, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Comparing Religion to Fairy Tales and Myths Equal Atheism ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 13 4730 July 22, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: robvalue