Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 12:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There is little time.
RE: There is little time.
Fixed the hosting for my poster.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-11913-po...#pid262927

These guys are not as big a bunch of pussies as photobucket.
Oh fuck! My eyes! They burn!
[Image: My_Eyes___They_Burn_by_dragon_prince_ryuun.jpg]
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
There's plenty of time. Jesus died and he aint coming back.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(March 28, 2012 at 7:03 pm)padraic Wrote: All life on earth of course will die within a few billion years,when our sun becomes a red dwarf. Humans will be probably be extinct within a thousand years or less.
(emphasis mine)

I hate to be nitpicky but in the interests of accuracy I rather think you meant red giant there. May seem a minor quibble, however the two are not interchangeable. It will however ultimately end up a white dwarf after blowing off its outer layers to form a planetary nebula, though we on Earth will have long passed the point of caring about such things.

Anyway at least you didn't say the Sun will go supernova, which would have been flatout wrong.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I honestly hope this guy is trolling, otherwise christians are crazier than I thought.
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation. - A dusty old book that I found that must be completely true because someone wrote it down.
I have found that there doesn't seem to be any kind of limit whatsoever to the level of crazy they can get to. This guy isn't even the worst that I've personally heard ... let alone, heard of.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(March 28, 2012 at 8:41 pm)WhatIfGodWasJustAMyth Wrote: I honestly hope this guy is trolling, otherwise christians are crazier than I thought.
The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Even if this one is trolling, there are theists (not just xtian either) who have said the same things and worse. Every time I encounter one such, my faith in humanity's future takes another nosedive.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Quote:I hate to be nitpicky but in the interests of accuracy I rather think you meant red giant there

or white dwarf?

I think I've gone and gotten all confused again.

All I mean is our sun will stop producing light and heat. Tiger
Well, by the time it gets to the white dwarf stage, it will already have been too late for Earth. The physical and chemical processes involved in the life cycle of stars is really a fascinating topic. Put simply for the purposes of this thread, the Sun will reach a fuel crisis which it can only ease by swelling up into a red giant and 'eating' the inner planets out to at least as far as Mars. It will stabilise in this form but it is only a temporary stability; the fuel crisis will eventually overtake it until the poor old Sun is forced to compensate by blowing off its outer layers. Ultimately, as I noted eariler, what remains is a white dwarf at the centre of a pretty new planetary nebula. It doesn't actually stop producing light and heat, though it's nowhere near as bright or hot as it used to be. Eventually, though, it will fade away into total obscurity but that will be about as far into the future again as the first of these events is from now.

Sorry to be pedantic but it really is a fascinating subject. However, I'll go now.
(March 28, 2012 at 9:25 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote:I hate to be nitpicky but in the interests of accuracy I rather think you meant red giant there

or white dwarf?

I think I've gone and gotten all confused again.

All I mean is our sun will stop producing light and heat. Tiger

It still will but not enough to sustain this planet. But when that happens Man will be A. Extinct B. Evolved into other things or C. Gone to find a new home.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 28419 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  At least it's not little boys for once Cyberman 14 4793 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Little Wine From Corinth: A Short Dialogue by Yours Truly Mudhammam 2 943 April 9, 2017 at 6:53 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  There is still time to covert to Christianity before Christmas! Loading Please Wait 12 3341 January 29, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  What time is it?? What if Time!!! Drich 94 11203 March 11, 2016 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Little children who died without Baptism go to eternal Hell?! Jehanne 34 6338 February 29, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A Little Christian Persecution Jenny A 44 11577 August 10, 2015 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  Pastors love fucking the disabled and little children. Creed of Heresy 29 11002 June 17, 2014 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Have yourself a Jewish little Christmas theyear12013 0 1368 December 26, 2013 at 3:31 am
Last Post: theyear12013
  Did Bethlehem in Judea exist at the time of Jesus and at the time of David Ziploc Surprise 0 2060 January 1, 2013 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise