Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 8:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do Athiests require 'proof' that God exists?
RE: Why do Athiests require 'proof' that God exists?
(May 12, 2012 at 12:01 am)padraic Wrote:
Quote:I don't want to get into a meaningless argument, just take it as read that I exist and I can prove it to you, thanks.

No;why should, I because you say so?

I'm not arguing; I have not made any claims, you have. Put up or shut up.Two empirical proofs will be just dandy.Tiger

Are you saying you don't believe my claim that I can prove I exist? Is that what you are saying?

Philosobabble is for clowns and my name ain't Krusty.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Some of the stupidest arguments in the world, these 'Ah but you can't really prove anything - what's the colour of happiness? How much does electricity weigh? If a tree falls on my head, does the tree really exist?' things. Ryft is the absolute master of writing lots of long words without saying anything except the world's most verbose God of the Gaps argument. The only purpose of it is to bamboozle. Imagine the pathetic God who could only be proved to exist through such a cumbersome appeal to 'logic'. Shame there's not so many of those resurrections, talking bushes, rivers of blood and global floods around any more, isn't it? Would make things quite a bit clearer, eh?
For the record, electricity does have mass Wink
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(May 12, 2012 at 12:17 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: For the record, electricity does have mass Wink

And if you sit on a live wire your ass will assure you that it exists, too!
(May 12, 2012 at 12:05 pm)ElDinero Wrote: Ryft is the absolute master of writing lots of long words without saying anything except the world's most verbose God-of-the-gaps argument.

Like I am going to spend even one solitary second writing lots of long words defending something I firmly reject. Good luck finding anything I have written that presents a God-of-the-gaps argument.
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)
Ryft, how tall is loneliness?
Quote:Are you saying you don't believe my claim that I can prove I exist? Is that what you are saying?

Yes.

I'm NOT saying you don't, exist,only that I'd like to see not less than two proofs,accompanied by empirical evidence. I'm unconvinced that it's possible to actually prove one exists, but am happy to be corrected.

Quote:Philosobabble is for clowns and my name ain't Krusty.

Perhaps ,but you're beginning to sound a lot like Krusty.

You have made a positive claim; viz "I can easily prove I exist" .I have declined to take your word and asked you to prove your claim. If it's so easy,'philosobabble' (whatever that is) should not be necessary.Thinking
If he doesn't exist, would you be having a debate with yourself, pad?
Trying to update my sig ...
(May 13, 2012 at 4:44 am)padraic Wrote:
Quote:Are you saying you don't believe my claim that I can prove I exist? Is that what you are saying?

Yes.

I'm NOT saying you don't, exist,only that I'd like to see not less than two proofs,accompanied by empirical evidence. I'm unconvinced that it's possible to actually prove one exists, but am happy to be corrected.

Quote:Philosobabble is for clowns and my name ain't Krusty.

Perhaps ,but you're beginning to sound a lot like Krusty.

You have made a positive claim; viz "I can easily prove I exist" .I have declined to take your word and asked you to prove your claim. If it's so easy,'philosobabble' (whatever that is) should not be necessary.Thinking

PM me your address, send me the air fare, oh and some spending money, and I'll turn up at your house and stamp on your face repeatedly - but only long enough so that you still retain consciousness, so you can never forget that I proved I exist to you.

I'll show you my passport as the second piece of evidence.

You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(May 13, 2012 at 4:31 am)ElDinero Wrote: Ryft, how tall is loneliness?
So rather than address issues at an intelligent level, you assert that the conversation is stupid by making even more stupid comments. Congratulations for achieving nohing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 8056 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Proof at least one god is b.s. onlinebiker 10 1652 March 16, 2021 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  God Exists brokenreflector 210 18641 June 16, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 31839 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Proof of God Existence faramirofgondor 39 9108 April 20, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
  Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question Jenny A 113 17737 March 7, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: possibletarian
  Proof that God exists TheoneandonlytrueGod 203 53312 January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Proof that God is not real? ComradeMeow 6 2659 August 5, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Athiests are bitter? Soldat Du Christ 60 13251 April 14, 2017 at 2:06 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Muslims are using this NASA video as proof that islam is true and that allah exists LetThereBeNoGod 10 4324 February 16, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod