Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 7:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A Real and Significant Biblical Contradiction?
RE: A Real and Significant Biblical Contradiction?
(August 7, 2012 at 1:57 pm)cato123 Wrote: What could possibly have been the purpose for the lie?

Guess what argument you're going to get back Cato...

God works in mysterious ways!!! What a surprise!
(August 8, 2012 at 3:31 pm)Godschild Wrote: @ Spockrates, I agree that the two verses are not a contradiction, I also agree that deception is not always lying, it can be a strategy. However as I've said and continue to, in Ezekiel God is not directly deceiving the prophet, God allows the prophet to be deceived by his own prophecy through his vanity. God does not reveal the true to the prophet, this is to punish the prophet because the prophet is deceiving Israel.

Yes, I understand what you believe, but (please forgive me for being so slow to catch on) I still don't understand why you believe. I'm having trouble seeing how these words,

"... I the LORD have deceived that prophet..."

can mean anything but the LORD had deceived the prophet. The only way this might be true would be if the biblical translators King James commissioned translated the verse wrong, I think. What do you think? Should we look at a more modern translation to see if it clears it up for me?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...ersion=KJV

(August 8, 2012 at 3:44 pm)Rhythm Wrote: "Lying isn't always lying, especially if it's god doing it" Jerkoff "It's a different kind of deception, and it's okay because god is doing it" Jerkoff "It was okay for god to be deceptive because someone else was being deceptive" Jerkoff

oh, and for you Clive...."Mysterious ways, except that I'm not saying that, but no... seriously.....mysterious ways" Jerkoff

Guys..there isn't any contradiction. It's a different god, a different narrative, and they both happen to be fictional to begin with. They couldn't contradict each other if they tried. See how easy that was?

But would you say your interpretation of the fictional story of Ezekiel contradicts your interpretation of the fictional story of Hebrews? Or are you interpreting both to say it is possible for the God they imagined to lie?
"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains (no matter how improbable) must be the truth."

--Spock
Different narratives, different gods, different authors. You're missing this entirely aren't you? One might look for a contradiction between some attribute or comment of gods between chapter 1 and chapter 10, but this assumes that the various beliefs cobbled together and given the header "bible" are some unbroken and consistent line of spiritual tradition. Why one assumes this, when we know that it is not the case, is beyond me.

If I wrote a book about Paul Bunyan, and you wrote a book about Paul Bunyan (and ignoring that a large span of time and culture could separate our two narratives) neither of us would be obliged to write about the same Paul Bunyan. Sure, we might have both given our character the same name or the same back story (and the reasons that a storyteller might do that are legion), but that's where it ends. If you're looking for contradictions, especially in the sense that we seem to be using the word (and doubly so for the implications we're flirting with) we'd have to establish that this was the same damned god....and on that count, see the above. God does not contradict himself in the narratives, peoples ideas of what and who god was (and what he could and could not, or would and would not, do) changed over time. Some stories that were popular and struck a chord with one audience failed to do so with another. Some stories that were relevant at one time lost that relevance when transported to another. There is a rich and compelling story to be told here, a lush description of human beings and the situations they found themselves in and how that manifested itself into our concepts of the divine, but we're not having that conversation, are we? Instead, we're wondering whether or not a fictional character lied. Perhaps even more absurd, we're wondering whether or not two different authors characters contradicted each other....ffs! By all means have at it, clearly the idea of contradictory narratives is important to some, but for me, not so much.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 9, 2012 at 11:21 am)Rhythm Wrote: Different narratives, different gods, different authors. You're missing this entirely aren't you? One might look for a contradiction between some attribute or comment of gods between chapter 1 and chapter 10, but this assumes that the various beliefs cobbled together and given the header "bible" are some unbroken and consistent line of spiritual tradition. Why one assumes this, when we know that it is not the case, is beyond me.

If I wrote a book about Paul Bunyan, and you wrote a book about Paul Bunyan (and ignoring that a large span of time and culture could separate our two narratives) neither of us would be obliged to write about the same Paul Bunyan. Sure, we might have both given our character the same name or the same back story (and the reasons that a storyteller might do that are legion), but that's where it ends. If you're looking for contradictions, especially in the sense that we seem to be using the word (and doubly so for the implications we're flirting with) we'd have to establish that this was the same damned god....and on that count, see the above. God does not contradict himself in the narratives, peoples ideas of what and who god was (and what he could and could not, or would and would not, do) changed over time. Some stories that were popular and struck a chord with one audience failed to do so with another. Some stories that were relevant at one time lost that relevance when transported to another. There is a rich and compelling story to be told here, a lush description of human beings and the situations they found themselves in and how that manifested itself into our concepts of the divine, but we're not having that conversation, are we? Instead, we're wondering whether or not a fictional character lied. Perhaps even more absurd, we're wondering whether or not two different authors characters contradicted each other....ffs! By all means have at it, clearly the idea of contradictory narratives is important to some, but for me, not so much.

Would you say Ezekiel's Paul Bunyan is dishonest and Hebrew's Paul Bunyan is honest?
"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains (no matter how improbable) must be the truth."

--Spock
The narrative or the character?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm)Rhythm Wrote: The narrative or the character?

Just wondering if this is a reply to the other thread?
Narcissism is a bitch, no.
(August 7, 2012 at 1:57 pm)cato123 Wrote: Ok, clarification is required. I don't believe in god. My use of the term god is for convenience and is taken to mean the god of the bible. To be precise, when I use god I mean to say the fictional character created by ignorant Palestinian Jews in order to explain natural phenomena in the absence of scientific inquiry and to exercise a measure of crowd control. For this reason I have nothing to say about god's obligations. In fact, arguing that god does not have any obligations makes the Christian position more bizarre.

Who has argued that God doesn't have any obligations? How would the Christian position be more bizarre if that were the case?

Quote:Based on your argument we can conclude that god is under no obligation to tell people the truth since he lied about the cure for leprosy. I'll get to the counterfactual bit in a moment, but he specifically gave them a useless prescription for curing the disease; therefore, a lie. How am I now supposed to take anything else in the bible as serious mandates from god? How am I to differentiate between a lie and truth from god?

Your conclusion is unwarranted. My argument (more of a challenge, really, than an argument) was that God might not necessarily have all the same obligations as us. And you think it's safe to conclude, "God is under no obligation to tell people the truth"? Because of one example where His obligation to tell the truth is different from ours, He must never have any obligation to tell the truth ever?

Horrible logic.

Quote:Let me get this straight. According to you, god had the foresight to not give his chosen people the cure for leprosy because of an unexplained alternate history, but didn't station the lightsaber wielding cherub until after the fall.

Erm, are you suggesting that God was surprised by the Fall?

If God has omniscience, then He knows all possible futures, and He knows which possible future will be actualized (if Molinism is true).

It seems possible to me that in one circumstance, giving certain people certain information might lead to worse outcomes, justifying witholding the information--while in another circumstance, installing a guard before a certain action would also lead to worse outcomes, justifying not installing the guard.

I'm not sure what the connection is that you're asserting between stationing the guard and informing people about leprosy. Can you explain it a bit more?

Quote:Why didn't god just remain silent regarding leprosy? What could possibly have been the purpose for the lie?

Perhaps it would lead to better outcomes. Since people might act differently with different information, it's possible that given one specification of information (for example, telling the truth about leprosy), people will make worse choices than given another specification of information (for example, not telling the truth about leprosy).
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
(August 9, 2012 at 6:06 pm)CliveStaples Wrote: Perhaps it would lead to better outcomes. Since people might act differently with different information, it's possible that given one specification of information (for example, telling the truth about leprosy), people will make worse choices than given another specification of information (for example, not telling the truth about leprosy).

What you're basically saying:

"God works in mysterious ways"

I KNEW IT!
(August 9, 2012 at 6:06 pm)CliveStaples Wrote: Your conclusion is unwarranted. My argument (more of a challenge, really, than an argument) was that God might not necessarily have all the same obligations as us. And you think it's safe to conclude, "God is under no obligation to tell people the truth"? Because of one example where His obligation to tell the truth is different from ours, He must never have any obligation to tell the truth ever?

Horrible logic.

It would have been horrible logic if I had come to that conclusion. My point here is that if there is one example of god lying, then how is anybody to be sure of the veracity of any other statement? This is not the same as saying that all other statements are false, only that we cannot know which other statements are false. At a minimum, this makes The Bible untrustworthy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 10644 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Contradiction or Forgetfulness Ferrocyanide 11 1485 February 16, 2022 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Rebuke on Biblical Prophecy Narishma 12 1527 May 28, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Knowing god outside a biblical sense Foxaèr 60 10847 March 31, 2018 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 23600 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Dr. Craig contradiction. Jehanne 121 26321 November 13, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  So, what would an actual 'biblical' flood look like ?? vorlon13 64 14988 August 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality Mystical 30 5359 December 8, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Biblical Date Rape chimp3 38 7114 July 29, 2016 at 10:35 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Biblical Incest Foxaèr 35 6548 July 19, 2016 at 11:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13