Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 7:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion and LGBT people
RE: Religion and LGBT people
(February 24, 2013 at 12:47 am)iameatingjam Wrote: <Violet sees a whole post filled with women kissing other women>

Yup, we see what we want to see Heart
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
*borrows Violet's eyes*

*hands Violet's eyes back quickly*
In amongst the whole "homosexuality is a choice" "Oh no it isn't" to-ing and fro-ing I'd like to make one point.

Even if homosexuality WAS a choice( though the evidence says it isn't)

SO......FUCKING.....WHAT???

Even if it was a choice people made, it is their choice to make.

And it affects no-one else.

And to date I have yet to see one valid argument against homosexuality.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(February 24, 2013 at 7:45 am)Zen Badger Wrote: In amongst the whole "homosexuality is a choice" "Oh no it isn't" to-ing and fro-ing I'd like to make one point.

Even if homosexuality WAS a choice( though the evidence says it isn't)

SO......FUCKING.....WHAT???

Even if it was a choice people made, it is their choice to make.

And it affects no-one else.

And to date I have yet to see one valid argument against homosexuality.

Yeah, I've made this point elsewhere before, but the whole "it's a choice!" canard rests on a pretty faulty assumption, namely that the only thing stopping us from thinking homosexuality is immoral is that we think gays don't have an option. But even if it is a choice, that doesn't follow that it's bad. Lots of things are choices, after all.

It's like these homophobic bigots can't get it through their heads that other people don't think like them.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
If homosexuality were a natural population control, would that make it bad or good?
(February 24, 2013 at 10:08 am)fr0d0 Wrote: If homosexuality were a natural population control, would that make it bad or good?

Depends on your standpoint. From an evolutionary perspective, it would be neither, it'd just be something that happens, even if we could prove with one hundred percent certainty the reasons that homosexuality is selected for. Evolution is divorced from morality.

Looking at it from the theist perspective, I have a hard time accepting any arguments for why homosexuality is "bad." If it was indeed a trait designed as population control then it would be downright immoral for a god to create it and then point to it as a bad thing. Even if it wasn't, the very fact that it exists at all points to it being a part of god's plan.

Even assuming that it's something satan is doing, is god not powerful enough to deal with that? He lets homosexuality exist for something, so he's at least okay with it. Guy's got no problem smiting those he does have a problem with, after all. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Well you obviously, to me, have some conflicts with your understanding of 'God's plan' :p

There are lots of bad things happen. God demonstrably doesn't want to prevent them. So i don't get your theist exception.

If God stands for creation, and subsequently procreation, perhaps that's how this is seen as counter productive/ in opposition to a positive force. Even then, at a pesonal level, environmental/influential/genetic product still warrants a loving response.
I don't see a problem that an oppressed people pursue equality by law. However, where the problem can arise is when those in the pursuit of that seek in the process to obstruct by law others from the personal moral opposition to having to tolerate what they personally, religiously, deem intolerable.

There's an openly homosexual Senator in California at the moment who's introduced SB323 to the Legislature there. His hope is to rescind all tax exempt organizations, which would include churches, if they do not agree to set aside their moral and religious ideologies that are grandfathered in under the civil right of the 1st amendment, and tolerate the civil right of homosexuals to be tolerated.

So when a minister of a Fundamentalist church objects to two men entering into the house of god, holding hands and acting in a manner of public demonstration of affection, that minister who would not permit that to happen even amid heterosexual couples, would be subject to a lawsuit and loss of his church tax exempt status.
Because the scriptures that church reveres proclaim that behavior is sexually immoral and an affront to the god of his faith tradition. And that disrespectful conduct that flaunts that scripture at will by those two homosexual men, must be tolerated! Or else!

The objection to homosexual's civil rights occurs when certain among their activist base, the radical liberal front among them, seeks to revoke other peoples rights to opinion about homosexuality. While instilling by law clauses that imply prosecution in the name of religious bigotry so as to insure not even faith traditions are free, without penalty, to speak against immoral behavior.
[Image: white-cloud-emoticon6.gif?1292330538]
Then there was a man who said, “I never knew what real happiness was until I got married; by then it was too late." Anonymous
Faith traditions have no right to be free legally, under secular law.
(February 24, 2013 at 5:38 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Faith traditions have no right to be free legally, under secular law.

Perhaps not in your country. However, you're quite mistaken about America.
Link
[Image: white-cloud-emoticon6.gif?1292330538]
Then there was a man who said, “I never knew what real happiness was until I got married; by then it was too late." Anonymous

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 14604 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Religion: Simple Lies for Simple People Minimalist 3 542 September 16, 2018 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11135 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  List of people who have no interest in joining a religion, ever robvalue 97 12453 January 31, 2016 at 7:07 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5023 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion? TheMonster 75 19923 November 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20108 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 50951 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion 'Cause Of Evil Not Force For Good' More Young People Believe downbeatplumb 3 2394 June 25, 2013 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Do some people need religion? Finn 26 6812 March 3, 2013 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx