Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 12:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with psychopath nutjobs
RE: Dealing with psychopath nutjobs
(June 4, 2013 at 2:17 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I take it ideologue08 is unaware of the Mason-Dixon.
I just googled it haha thanks. But how long does it take for the Southern States to wake up and smell the coffee? It surely is only a matter of time before they realize that they will never have places like Silicon Valley or Manhattan or Seattle if they don't change their policies. The only thing they can hope for is something like the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, which David Cameron accurately described as being "in the middle of nowhere" haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0DdXpC_4MI
There you're wrong, atlanta is a major tech hub (as well as being an international commerce hub)- and it's well south of the mason dixon.

Manhattan...Seattle? Try Miami, St. Louis, N'awlins, Savannah......
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 4, 2013 at 2:17 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(June 4, 2013 at 2:09 pm)Rhythm Wrote: he...hehehe...hehehehehehehehe..................

I take it ideologue08 is unaware of the Mason-Dixon.

Though there are degrees... I'm in Maryland, south of the Mason-Dixon and I find it far more pleasant than Arkansas where I grew up... Maryland was a slave holding, non-succeeding, border state.
(June 4, 2013 at 2:27 pm)festive1 Wrote: Though there are degrees... I'm in Maryland, south of the Mason-Dixon and I find it far more pleasant than Arkansas where I grew up... Maryland was a slave holding, non-succeeding, border state.

Well, none of the slave holding states "succeeded." (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

The Mason-Dixon is really just a physical estimation of the cultural barrier. Despite being below the line, Maryland is definitely considered to be in the north.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
So, I've got a little update on the ongoing saga.

Apparently, the neer-do-well ex says he won't be picking his kid up at her apartment anymore - his idea. Other arrangements will be made for pick ups and drop offs.

Perhaps he got the intended message?

(June 4, 2013 at 1:16 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: The police explained it by way of an analogy: If someone texts you and says "I'm gonna burn your house down", not illegal. If they show up on your porch with a can of gasoline and say the same thing, it is.

If you think that's messed up, I would not disagree.

It's messed up, but there are just not enough cops in the world to go after everyone who says they're going to kill someone. They have to prioritize, and probably over 99% of the time, nothing comes of an angry guy saying he's going to kill you. Ubiquitus recording might make it possible to resolve issues like that as civil matters without someone having to be arrested.
(June 4, 2013 at 2:34 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(June 4, 2013 at 1:16 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: The police explained it by way of an analogy: If someone texts you and says "I'm gonna burn your house down", not illegal. If they show up on your porch with a can of gasoline and say the same thing, it is.

If you think that's messed up, I would not disagree.

It's messed up, but there are just not enough cops in the world to go after everyone who says they're going to kill someone. They have to prioritize, and probably over 99% of the time, nothing comes of an angry guy saying he's going to kill you. Ubiquitus recording might make it possible to resolve issues like that as civil matters without someone having to be arrested.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you. Cops can't be anywhere, and I doubt many of us would want to live in a society where every violation of every law was ruthlessly enforced.

I don't see it as much of a credible threat myself. The guy's a coward who preys on the helpless, and I've got 5" and a good 80 pounds on him. I think he's far more afraid of me than I ever would be of him - even though I'm a big harmless teddy bear (*).

(*) with very sharp claws.
Hey - don't come around here no more...You can thank south of the mason dixon for that gem too. That motherfucker grew up fishing lakes I fished. I'm pretty proud of that.

(point being, and mostly for ideo, that the us is a much more diverse place than one might imagine - and that we're better for it - the same place that gave us Tom Petty also gave us a massive "negro hunt free for all" not but a few decades earlier....it's really colorful stuff man)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 4, 2013 at 2:24 pm)ideologue08 Wrote: I just googled it haha thanks. But how long does it take for the Southern States to wake up and smell the coffee? It surely is only a matter of time before they realize that they will never have places like Silicon Valley or Manhattan or Seattle if they don't change their policies.

While Rhythm has a valid point about tech, the overarching attitude in the south is that they don't WANT places like that. They want the sort of apple pie, Joe-the-Plumber, 50's suburban life style described in Leave it to Beaver and Andy Griffith. Success in America is not to move to a metropolitan area, but to have your own nicely sized house with two or three cars, a couple kids and a dog, a big yard and picket fence, and large enough back yard to entertain. Maybe a pool. You go to church a couple times a week. The kids all say "under god" in the pledge. God, America, and Family first.

Silicone valley as far as they're concerned is full of atheist crazies and hippies. They grudgingly like the tech that comes out of it, but they're quick to remind you that God comes first. TV rots your eyes, you know. Those iPads make kids act like little snots. They forget to respect your elders. Blah blah.

I live in one of the more 'liberal' cities in NC, and by that I mean we voted for more equal treatment of gays and such, and we try to put in more public transport and recycling programs and green roofing and generally act like we're not surrounded by toothless, banjo playing, Jesus loving, homo-hating luddites. It's still scary here sometimes.

You should hear the attitude people have about education. They're 'proud' when someone goes to college, but so quick to remind you that their daddy or granddaddy was just as good as that 'educated' person because they worked hard all their lives. "College don't make you somethin', boy."
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
It's hard not to like Mr. Petty. What part of FL? I grew up in the Panhandle, but was born in IL.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dealing with a real Death Note robvalue 23 2590 June 13, 2018 at 8:02 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Dealing with racists zebo-the-fat 47 5604 January 15, 2018 at 5:41 am
Last Post: Cod
  Getting into the mind of a psychopath robvalue 56 6501 October 24, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Dealing with religious family Savannahw 14 3063 June 6, 2013 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Dealing with boredom Edwardo Piet 20 4349 January 24, 2012 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Dealing with short attention span mamamia88 7 3354 December 27, 2010 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Dealing with homophobia on Atheist Forums Existentialist 38 8953 November 19, 2010 at 6:13 am
Last Post: ib.me.ub
  Exclusive video of Eilo dealing with unruly forum members. Dotard 5 2698 August 14, 2010 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Zen Badger