Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 25, 2024, 7:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Attn: Christians, We've Heard Them Already
RE: Attn: Christians, We've Heard Them Already
(June 6, 2013 at 5:59 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: If anyone needs any clarification on this point, deism is like atheism but with poetic flourishes.

I don't even correct anyone who says I'm an atheist. The hair-splitting distinction is more than anyone who uses the word "atheist" as a pejorative will be able to comprehend anyway.
From my perspective, I would treat a deist exactly the same as an atheist or agnostic, to me they are all united in rejecting the notion of a Creator that sustains, cares, and interacts with His creation.
(June 6, 2013 at 6:10 pm)ideologue08 Wrote: From my perspective, I would treat a deist exactly the same as an atheist or agnostic, to me they are all united in rejecting the notion of a Creator that sustains, cares, and interacts with His creation.
What if you're an agnostic theist?
(June 6, 2013 at 8:08 pm)Gilgamesh Wrote: What if you're an agnostic theist?
Same thing really. A person who's an agnostic theist obviously doesn't believe in a kind of Creator I mentioned, they might think it's a possibility but that doesn't mean they believe fully.
(June 6, 2013 at 8:12 pm)ideologue08 Wrote: Same thing really. A person who's an agnostic theist obviously doesn't believe in a kind of Creator I mentioned, they might think it's a possibility but that doesn't mean they believe fully.
Well, an agnostic theist definitely would believe and it is definitely possible they believe the same kind of creator you mentioned; they just wouldn't 'know.' I'm interested in this concept of half-believing you bring up, though.
(June 6, 2013 at 8:12 pm)ideologue08 Wrote:
(June 6, 2013 at 8:08 pm)Gilgamesh Wrote: What if you're an agnostic theist?
Same thing really. A person who's an agnostic theist obviously doesn't believe in a kind of Creator I mentioned, they might think it's a possibility but that doesn't mean they believe fully.
Your misunderstanding of the definitions, caused by a conflation of 2 separate concepts, leads you to this erroneous conclusion. One can believe fully but still not claim to know for certain just as one can disbelieve fully but still not claim to know for certain. The sincerity or 'fullness' of one's beliefs is not defined by one's claims to knowledge.
Sum ergo sum
(June 6, 2013 at 5:08 pm)missluckie26 Wrote: I didn't say you were right did I? Nope.
Of course not. You're defending the atheist despite the clear evidence.
Quote:I said it was embarrassing that you weren't addressing his actual point, you saw STFU and claimed that that was his point when his point was clearly not 'newbies stfu' it was, 'lets move past the same tired arguments, here they are now get past it cuz I'm tired of talking about the same shit in circles with you.' Get the point?
His words speak for themselves:
Quote:If you do offer these arguments, do not expect anything more than irritated GTFO or STFU retorts.
And as I noted, if he's tired of such, the simple and obvious solution is to stop reading those types of threads. Duh.
(June 7, 2013 at 8:59 am)John V Wrote: And as I noted, if he's tired of such, the simple and obvious solution is to stop reading those types of threads. Duh.

Except that I don't want to let Christians get away with their bullshit. Hence, my solution of a quick link. "Already debunked. Here it is. *Link*" But that would make Christians cry and feel oppressed.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Because their belief is on shaky ground?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(June 7, 2013 at 9:04 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: Except that I don't want to let Christians get away with their bullshit.
Uh, you're not the only atheist poster here. I don't see an abundance of unanswered Christian threads.
(June 7, 2013 at 9:33 am)John V Wrote: I don't see an abundance of unanswered Christian threads.

Thank you.

It's always good to know when we're all doing our part. Teamwork!

Seriously, I can't read their minds but I'd be willing to wager that all or at least most of them are just as sick of the oft-repeated-oft-debunked canned apologetic arguments and would like the simplicity of simply typing "Been there. Debunked that. **Link** "
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8321 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Jesus already came (at lest for some) Fake Messiah 60 15826 July 22, 2017 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Astonished
  How Do Christians Know When God Is Speaking to Them? Rhondazvous 70 10661 July 5, 2016 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 32676 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Second Coming already happened??? Jehanne 30 4295 March 6, 2016 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Creatards are Idiots. We Already Know That. Minimalist 19 3856 February 25, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 53176 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  What's the most face-palm-worthy statement you have ever heard from a priest/preacher drfuzzy 150 30628 August 29, 2015 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Heard about this snake idiocy before abaris 28 6888 July 30, 2015 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Loving Him means loving "them" Strider 9 3027 February 21, 2015 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Cyberman