Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 8:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Attn: Christians, We've Heard Them Already
RE: Attn: Christians, We've Heard Them Already
Riiiiight. Special pleading.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(July 3, 2013 at 1:27 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Christians perpetrated those ills. You may not like that, but they did. People who followed a facet of Christ you do not like invoked his name to heap bigotry and pain and suffering on those who would not worship the same incarnation, or even Jesus himself.

You're right, I don't like it. But I accept that it is true and think I should apologise for it. That's my ideology, and that's how it's been abused. I think we all share that guilt too, whether we associate with a group or not. These are crimes committed by humanity.
(July 3, 2013 at 1:43 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: These are crimes committed by humanity.

Christianity is a crime committed by humanity, you continue to commit this crime in the name of this crime.
(July 3, 2013 at 1:43 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I think we all share that guilt too, whether we associate with a group or not. These are crimes committed by humanity.

I don't share the guilt of a suicide bomber. Fuck that.
(July 3, 2013 at 1:37 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(July 3, 2013 at 1:26 pm)Esquilax Wrote: what can we really judge the ideology for, then? The people, or the concepts they selectively follow?

You are mistaken. Simple as that. You don't understand the ideology, because there is no conflicting information. You're judging a faith by a microcosm of that faith that you take out of context. Christianity addresses those points fully. Your understanding is muddied by them.

Ahh, the rallying cry of the fraud: "You disagree with me only because you don't know as much as me!"

Your ideology has precisely one source of information, a book- or series of writings, to be accurate- that you've taken to following. Those very same writings lay out in detail what slaves to buy, how much to pay for them, and just how much beating you can get in before it becomes uncool. And yet you don't follow that part of the book anymore. Those writings treat rape as mostly a breach of ettiquette unless the woman is married already. In any other case you just get a fine and a new wife, and yet you quite rightly treat it as a crime, in direct opposition to that ruling. Your bible has a hitlist of people you're allowed to kill, including nonbelievers and gays, but instead you settle for arguing with them.

And when this is pointed out to you, you fall back on good old special pleading. "You just don't get it as well as I do."

Don't get me wrong, I'm exceedingly happy that civilization has managed to drag your religion kicking and screaming into a gentler era, but that doesn't mean you get to forget your past, or reinterpret it so that all those good things that have been forced upon your side was somehow its idea all along.

The truth is, you can only claim your religion is a religion of peace by excluding large swathes of its ruling writings. And in lieu of an actual reason why that should be so, you instead resort to theological elitism, recourse to a special knowledge that most of us just call doublethink or cognitive dissonance.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(July 3, 2013 at 1:17 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I'm not saying that Christians are perfect. Quite the opposite. What you can't do is judge the ideology on actions contrary to the ideology.

I agree with that, but one thing I can remember from my time as a believer was how often we marveled at the "transformative power of religion." It seems that we give people too little credit or blame for the way their lives turn out.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(July 3, 2013 at 9:04 am)fr0d0 Wrote: "by Christianity", not by Christ like actions.

Christians who are like Christ are just like the Christ they're modeled after: they don't exist.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(July 3, 2013 at 1:50 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: I don't share the guilt of a suicide bomber. Fuck that.

You share the world community that produced them. You murderer!! Big Grin
No. This is all of a piece with your religion that seeks to make people unrelated to crimes and choices share in those crimes and choices through guilt. An accident of my birth does not bring down the guilt of the problems caused by my forefathers.

Now quit trying to play apologist. You heartily suck at it.
@Esq
It sounds like you're championing ignorance. Shamefully a lot of atheist argument is founded on this. Of course you really already know how it works. It's you guys having some fun.

(July 3, 2013 at 2:50 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Christians who are like Christ are just like the Christ they're modeled after: they don't exist.

QFT

(July 3, 2013 at 4:05 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: No. This is all of a piece with your religion that seeks to make people unrelated to crimes and choices share in those crimes and choices through guilt. An accident of my birth does not bring down the guilt of the problems caused by my forefathers.

Now quit trying to play apologist. You heartily suck at it.

Not as much as your sense of humour sucks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8293 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Jesus already came (at lest for some) Fake Messiah 60 15750 July 22, 2017 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Astonished
  How Do Christians Know When God Is Speaking to Them? Rhondazvous 70 10578 July 5, 2016 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 32475 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Second Coming already happened??? Jehanne 30 4283 March 6, 2016 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Creatards are Idiots. We Already Know That. Minimalist 19 3838 February 25, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 52885 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  What's the most face-palm-worthy statement you have ever heard from a priest/preacher drfuzzy 150 30501 August 29, 2015 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Heard about this snake idiocy before abaris 28 6877 July 30, 2015 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Loving Him means loving "them" Strider 9 3013 February 21, 2015 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Cyberman