Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 3:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
(February 8, 2010 at 1:55 pm)Watson Wrote: If you want to know how to just know, it is called faith, and some people have a whole helluva lot more than other people do.

It's not "knowing" - Knowledge is verified, what you have there is a stab in the dark.
Quote:You went out on an expedition of your own with a crew and a ship and research technologies and foun dout evolution was true? You are one dedicated dude!

You never saw your godboy come back from the dead, either. Why you believe that particular bit of bullshit is up to you but you do not require that he come back every year and demonstrate it for you.

Likewise, Evolution does not have to be experienced by everyone who accepts the evidence (yes! EVIDENCE) of its existence.
Haha, mistake me for a Christian why don't you? I guess you have to have a label to put upon your so-called 'enemy', somehow. Oh well.

In truth I am still very much on the path to finding my own way in life, and know that the journey ahead will be full of potholes, questions unanswered, and strange sights/detours. I've explored certain venues and found them completely undesirable, and am now just taking particular interest in Christianity. If I've stumbled upon my place, then so be it. Awesome.

It's completely personal.
(February 8, 2010 at 11:16 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:You went out on an expedition of your own with a crew and a ship and research technologies and foun dout evolution was true? You are one dedicated dude!

You never saw your godboy come back from the dead, either. Why you believe that particular bit of bullshit is up to you but you do not require that he come back every year and demonstrate it for you.

Likewise, Evolution does not have to be experienced by everyone who accepts the evidence (yes! EVIDENCE) of its existence.
Wow, I'm terribly sorry you're so scared of religion and Christianity, really I am. It's nothing to be afraid of, dude. People using religion and Christianity, now that's a different story.

And thanks for proving my point with your post, too. It's all a matter of perception, and if you haven't seen it happen, it just depends upon which things you choose to put your belief and faith in. I choose God and evolution, thanks very much. I trust my own eyes and other's eyes on both counts.
Thing is, evolution can be demonstrated in a laboratory (See Lenski experiment).

Demonstrate God for me in a lab. Then we'll be on equal footing.
(February 9, 2010 at 12:13 am)Synackaon Wrote: Thing is, evolution can be demonstrated in a laboratory (See Lenski experiment).

HA HA! Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I'll look into the Lenski experiment, might be interesting to learn about.

But, have you ever recreated it yourself? Seen it for yourself? Done it for yurself?
(February 9, 2010 at 12:40 am)Watson Wrote: HA HA! Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I'll look into the Lenski experiment, might be interesting to learn about.

But, have you ever recreated it yourself? Seen it for yourself? Done it for yurself?

The processes involved in science can be replicated and analyzed repeatedly. So, with the proper training, I, as well as anyone else, with 20 years to spend, could recreate it.

The reasons one defers to the experts is based on a rational expectation. Just like when you turn on a light or go to the doctor, one has a rational expectation that the light turns on and the doctor with his diagnosis is correct. If the light is out or the doctor is wrong, it is not a paradigm shattering event. With both, you can run through each step of the actions involved to repeat it. If the filament is broken, then an integrative step by step analysis of light bulbs and the processes you were involved in will identify that. If the doctor is wrong, one can (with proper training) analyze every step of the diagnostic.

Key word is repeatability. And anything real is repeatable, limited only by our understanding and research. But just because we cannot do certain actions doesn't throw out the repeatability for an experiment or occurrence - it simply means we cannot do certain actions. A lack of evidence is simply a lack of evidence, nothing more.
(February 9, 2010 at 12:40 am)Watson Wrote:
(February 9, 2010 at 12:13 am)Synackaon Wrote: Thing is, evolution can be demonstrated in a laboratory (See Lenski experiment).

HA HA! Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Then you must have lead an incredibly sheltered and quiet life to date if that sounds ridiculous to you. :S
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(February 8, 2010 at 11:23 am)theVOID Wrote: I'd love to see this logical argument you speak of.

Use your brain and think about it then. You insist on verifiable evidence for your so called reasoning. So when you're sure, THEN you decide it's true. You cannot reason without someone else having done the work for you.

Dar Wrote:Then you must have lead an incredibly sheltered and quiet life to date if that sounds ridiculous to you.

You think there can be evidence for God?! Which tree did you just fall out of? Thinking
(February 8, 2010 at 1:55 pm)Watson Wrote: If you want to know how to just know, it is called faith, and some people have a whole helluva lot more than other people do.

If you don't know how you know with 'just faith' then how can you really know?

I, personally, think it's incredibly arrogant to say that you know without any explanation as to how you can hold absolute knowledge on these matter - and furthermore, I think it's completely absurd to think that "Faith" equates to 'knowing' - faith is blind trust... you wouldn't need 'faith' if you actually had evidence so it's about as far from 'knowing' as you get.

How... can you know...? You say "with faith", but that's simply begging the question: How can you know... 'with faith'??

EvF

Adrian, please provide the evidence that leads you to be able to distinguish between:

1) All life has a single common descendant.

2) Some of life has one common descendant and some of life has a different common descendant.

In other words, a single common descendant compared to two common descendants.

Since you say that the evidence only supports 1) but not 2), I want to know what that evidence is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 579 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14509 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Existence of Marcion questioned? JairCrawford 28 2233 March 4, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  VERY Basic Doctrines of Calvinism johndoe122931 18 2500 June 7, 2021 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Spiritual realm is very likely real (demonic possession)? Flavius007 23 2114 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 10233 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8170 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 11057 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  The existence of god Foxaèr 16 3000 May 5, 2018 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15395 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm