Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 1:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe People Should Not Look Up To YouTube Atheist
RE: Maybe People Should Not Look Up To YouTube Atheist
(December 10, 2013 at 5:38 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: Aside from the heavily misogynistic video, I've also been looking at some of the other shit he's spewed online. Like, how he doesn't believe rape exists within marriage or relationships. Oh no, to him it's just "bad sex" if one party doesn't consent. I strongly suspect the guy is a rapist himself.

Judging from your reaction to this video where you say he says that its a womans fault she is raped, when he clearly does not. I am not inclined to believe you when you say he thinks rape doesn't exist within marriage or a relationship, without first watching the video myself, please post it.

Nora please watch this video, it is thunderf00t defending the criticism of the original video and it does address the things you have said. Funnily enough it also says that reasoned argument goes out the window when feminists talk about this stuff due to emotion, that is exactly what I said. And even better, he says that he doubts that the people criticising his video, have even watched his video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGV-fhZ-xs
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Some Grey Bloke did not seem all that emotional in his rebuttal of thunderf00t.

Also, arguing while having emotions is allowed. Arguing FROM emotions is when there is an issue. But someone can be pissed, crying, screaming, whatever, and make a good point.
I'm still waiting for the good point
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
You can wait all you want, I thought SGB did a good job but if you do not agree then there is not much that can be done. Maybe you should not skim it, hell he even brings up and supports a bit of your argument (that rapists have an idea that what they do is wrong).

In any case though, dismissing people because they have emotions about an issue seems a tad immature to me.
(December 10, 2013 at 5:38 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote:
(December 10, 2013 at 4:13 am)Bad Wolf Wrote: I've skimmed over that guys critique and its ridiculous. He has done this thing that you see a lot of extreme feminists do on the internet. He has taken what thunderf00t has says and interpreted it in the worst possible way, every time. I doesn't matter how it was meant to come over, if it can be taken to offend, a feminist will make it offensive. Just a little twist here, a little warp there, and voilla! OFFENSIVE. Nora, you and that guy are just seeing what you want to see in order to justify your anger at him. Its almost like a stereotypical feminazi: can't take any criticism of feminism and instead goes on the offensive by purposefully misinterpreting the opponent in order to make him look like a misogynist
Sorry? Do you actually think that or are you taking the piss? I bet you didn't even read the whole thing. It's totally accurate and has a complete transcript of the video.

Aside from the heavily misogynistic video, I've also been looking at some of the other shit he's spewed online. Like, how he doesn't believe rape exists within marriage or relationships. Oh no, to him it's just "bad sex" if one party doesn't consent. I strongly suspect the guy is a rapist himself.
No, he said bad sex isn't rape. Get the fuck back to tumblr!
Marx - she seems to be referring to something outside the video about rape. So it is best to reserve judgement until the evidence is presented or found. And telling her to get back to tumblr, again and again, really does a disservice to those actually trying to discuss this shit - it is not funny and contributes nothing to the discussion.
Educating boys on "no means no" is great, and educating women to be careful is great. Throughout my life, though, I have constantly seen women in uncomfortable positions that they feel they can't call out because it would cause public embarrassment, like Psykhronic's (I think it was you) story about the groping guy.

What women need to do is get loud and CALL IT OUT when men are being inappropriate, and not feel embarrassed by it. It needs to be OK to publicly shame men for inappropriate behavior, instead of laughing it off or just avoiding them. And in public laces like bars, usually bartenders and bouncers are happy to help you.

For instance, a few years ago I was at a bar playing pool with a friend (I am a pretty killer pool player), and some guys were watching us, and it was making me uncomfortable because I could tell they were talking about us. I took a shot and stood, and suddenly one of them is right there and puts his arm around my waist. Not exactly groping, but WTF? I don't know you and suddenly you're touching me like that? So I pushed him off and said, very loudly, "WHY ARE YOU TOUCHING ME? I DON'T KNOW YOU." The bartender came over and booted them and then told me that he had had problems with those guys bothering women before, and he was really happy for an excuse to bounce them.

My friend was embarrassed that I had made a scene, but again, WTF? Why should I be embarrassed? Obviously they engaged in this type of behavior all the time, and most women just put up with it? That's fucked.

Many uncomfortable situations escalate because women don't like to make scenes. I'm all for teaching girls never to be quiet when they feel uncomfortable.
You are right, Zazz, we SHOULD encourage girls to speak up. Odd sort of passiveness is encouraged in girls, which is definitely a part of the problem. Thank you for sharing that. And yes, it was me who had the gropey guy story Tongue
(December 10, 2013 at 4:34 am)rexbeccarox Wrote:
(December 10, 2013 at 1:04 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: What he is saying by that is that some people have a fucked up sexuality, and educating people out of it is like Christians educating five year olds out of being gay, fucking useless. Truth bad people exist, and yes education on rape and teaching children rape is bad is a good thing, just look at cultures where men are not taught that. However it has gotten to the point were you can't even talk about things that may prevent rape that a women can do.
Here is a few things I propose to prevent rape.
In boys. Teach them that being a man isn't about getting all the "bitches". Women are not objects to be used and abused, they are equals. Also boys especially in Christian or Muslim homes have no way to deal with pent up sexual urges, and quite frankly you need something. Desperate guys will do some crazy shit for sex (Note most will not resort to rape). Third is simple. No means no. Fourthly applies mostly to Muslims, if you would not want done to you, do not do it to women even if you marry one (I.E sex on demand) and if you think something your religion says is right is wrong, trust your gut.
For girls. There is the obvious, like don't walk through shady parts of town at night night ( good advice for all). Learn to use a gun or mace (Again good advice for all), And keep a cellphone handy (again). Also, do not sexually flirt with people you do not intend to have sex with, as that can be a trigger for rapists, but more importantly it will make people hate you.One more good point to remember too is do let a drink or food out of your sight. Also as thunderfoot said in the video, body language, you should always appear self possessed and confident. Rapists are often called predator for a reason, they go for the weak, is one. Another that I cannot stress enough is REPORT IT TO THE POLICE ASAP! The more these pieces of shit think they can get away with it the more they will do it.

Lemon, I love how passionate you are about this... but the bolds I added are a little off.

For the first one, people flirt. It doesn't always mean something, and it's certainly not a guarantee of anything. If I'm flirting with a guy at a party, I'm not necessarily saying "let's have sex", and if he takes it that way, it doesn't give him permission to assault me. Also, if I'm being myself, fuck off to anyone who doesn't like me!

For the second one, are non-self-possessed, non-confident women just supposed to hole themselves up in a corner because they don't possess those traits? I mean, I'm shy. It's hard sometimes for me to roll up into a room like I own it. Are my two choices to stay home or to possibly get raped?

I know you didn't mean any of it like that, and I'm pretty sure the only reason you're using those as examples is that you're naive, but you need to know that these examples of how a woman should "behave" are only perpetuating this ridiculous rape culture. Your naivete is charming and innocent and sweet, but not completely realistic.
Sorry I can't give a more detailed response now.
As for the flirting, yes people do it. But when you go around randomly flirting with people the bigger issue you have to seal with is people thinking your interested when your not, this makes for awkward situations and hurt feelings. It is also how rapists pick there targets, read there own accounts, they tell people this.
To address your second point. I'm not perpuating rape culture by talking things people can do to avoid being a target, anymore then people who buys locks for their doors are perpuating theft culture. No you don't have to roll in like you own the place, only carry yourself with confidence, which has a lot of benefits that are far more immediate then avoid rape.
Also instead of presenting me with a false dichotomy read earlier in the post. If your concerned a bout being a target regardless, learn to shoot and carry a gun, or if you can't buy bear mace. That way you defend from rapist or all kinds of creeps.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(December 10, 2013 at 9:20 am)Psykhronic Wrote: You are right, Zazz, we SHOULD encourage girls to speak up. Odd sort of passiveness is encouraged in girls, which is definitely a part of the problem. Thank you for sharing that. And yes, it was me who had the gropey guy story Tongue
Indeed, I do believe that a big part of the problem is that girls are taught to be passive & submissive (something I actually agree with feminists on). If girls were less so rape would not be such a big problem (and aggressive girls are hawtTongue).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6571 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 2056 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  I have made a new YouTube video about afterlife... FlatAssembler 32 2411 July 12, 2022 at 2:35 pm
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2552 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3136 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
  Hilarious argument from someone I encountered in the youtube comments Heat 19 4857 April 23, 2020 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Posted comments on Youtube gets deleted Ferrocyanide 16 2068 April 19, 2020 at 6:28 am
  How should an atheist react to discrimination? Der/die AtheistIn 21 2777 March 26, 2019 at 9:14 pm
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9367 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 94525 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos