Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 3:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro abortion or not
RE: Pro abortion or not
(December 16, 2013 at 11:32 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: If a woman doesn't want to go through pregnancy and childbirth, she doesn't have to have one. Simple as that. How or why she ended up pregnant is irrelevant. She can want a baby, get pregnant on purpose then change her mind and abort after a few weeks. It's nobody else's business.

What if the man wanted the child and was ready to try to be a good father? It would be his child too. Is it okay for a woman to just go and get one behind his back?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(January 1, 2014 at 2:08 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(December 16, 2013 at 11:32 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: If a woman doesn't want to go through pregnancy and childbirth, she doesn't have to have one. Simple as that. How or why she ended up pregnant is irrelevant. She can want a baby, get pregnant on purpose then change her mind and abort after a few weeks. It's nobody else's business.

What if the man wanted the child and was ready to try to be a good father? It would be his child too. Is it okay for a woman to just go and get one behind his back?
Before it's born it's not his child, too. It's part of her body. If he wants a baby, he should find a woman who's willing to have one with him. There are plenty of women out there who want babies, so he shouldn't have much trouble.
[Image: Widemodern_ACLUCartoon2_131023.jpg]
(January 1, 2014 at 2:16 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote:
(January 1, 2014 at 2:08 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: What if the man wanted the child and was ready to try to be a good father? It would be his child too. Is it okay for a woman to just go and get one behind his back?
Before it's born it's not his child, too. It's part of her body. If he wants a baby, he should find a woman who's willing to have one with him. There are plenty of women out there who want babies, so he shouldn't have much trouble.

Yes, but it was pointed out earlier that most pregnancies are unplanned. So of that does happen it is okay for the woman to make that choice and the man has to live with it? I thought you supported equality.
Signifying nothing.
Doonesbury ran a series of strips....which many newspapers refused to carry because they kowtow to the fascist right. Here is the series.

The order is

1 - 4
2 - 5
3 - 6

(January 1, 2014 at 2:39 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(January 1, 2014 at 2:16 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote: Before it's born it's not his child, too. It's part of her body. If he wants a baby, he should find a woman who's willing to have one with him. There are plenty of women out there who want babies, so he shouldn't have much trouble.

Yes, but it was pointed out earlier that most pregnancies are unplanned. So of that does happen it is okay for the woman to make that choice and the man has to live with it? I thought you supported equality.
Because it's her body, not his. If a woman wants the baby, the "father" shouldn't have to be there for it. As I stated previously, I'm all for men having the right to legally decide to have nothing to do with the child (financially or otherwise) up until the point where the woman can no longer abort.
(January 1, 2014 at 2:53 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote:
(January 1, 2014 at 2:39 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Yes, but it was pointed out earlier that most pregnancies are unplanned. So of that does happen it is okay for the woman to make that choice and the man has to live with it? I thought you supported equality.
Because it's her body, not his. If a woman wants the baby, the "father" shouldn't have to be there for it. As I stated previously, I'm all for men having the right to legally decide to have nothing to do with the child (financially or otherwise) up until the point where the woman can no longer abort.

Its unfortunate that men often have to rely on women's birth control. The situation I mentioned actually happened to a friend and he was devastated. That's why I brought it up. Either way I'm not sure where I stand on abortion as a whole, but I agree with the men choosing atleast.
Signifying nothing.
It is just so damned hard to exercise coercion over another human being in the service of ones own moral standards without feeling like a bully. Too bad the damned conservorepublicunts have too little true moral feeling to be bothered.
[Image: tumblr_mdqx6nhUS51qkx16go1_500.png]
(January 1, 2014 at 3:00 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(January 1, 2014 at 2:53 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote: Because it's her body, not his. If a woman wants the baby, the "father" shouldn't have to be there for it. As I stated previously, I'm all for men having the right to legally decide to have nothing to do with the child (financially or otherwise) up until the point where the woman can no longer abort.

Its unfortunate that men often have to rely on women's birth control. The situation I mentioned actually happened to a friend and he was devastated. That's why I brought it up. Either way I'm not sure where I stand on abortion as a whole, but I agree with the men choosing atleast.
That's a very sad situation. If there was a way we could take an unwanted foetus out of a pregnant woman and grow it safely elsewhere if the father wanted it, then I would fully support that, and give the mother that same right to sign away her rights to it as I'd like men to have now. However, we can't do that (yet). And if the woman doesn't want to have a baby, and a man does, the only way to currently allow him to have that kid would be to force the woman to go through pregnancy and childbirth against her will, and that is a horrific abuse of her body. Pregnancy isn't some small thing, it causes permanent changes to a woman that shouldn't be forced on her. It could even kill her, you know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion-Killing: The Silent Genocide: 2 Billion Deaths Victims Worldwide. Nishant Xavier 343 17470 September 2, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7834 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 32467 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Pro-Life Atheists KristinNirvana 84 14134 July 25, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: LadyAmaltheaMoon
  Abortion and ethics Dystopia 10 2317 June 28, 2014 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  anyone else here not pro life for the sake of being pro life? leodeo 83 15159 November 15, 2013 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Walking Void
  godless pro-lifers Max_Kolbe 85 19190 October 15, 2013 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  Atheists, the death penalty and abortion... ideologue08 511 191447 May 30, 2013 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Colanth
  I am a pro-life atheist mavis 210 71739 February 27, 2012 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Virginia Ironside on abortion and euthanasia The Omnissiunt One 18 6590 October 10, 2010 at 8:02 am
Last Post: The Omnissiunt One