Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 22, 2024, 10:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Historical Jesus is real and He rose from the grave
RE: The Historical Jesus is real and He rose from the grave
(April 11, 2014 at 10:51 am)Revelation777 Wrote: If God said it

Yeah, that's kind of the point at issue, isn't it, you simpleton?
(April 10, 2014 at 2:55 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote:
(April 10, 2014 at 2:09 pm)Godlesspanther Wrote: If I am to accept what you say, I would have to do so without any real evidence to back it up. I would have to be gullible and stupid.

It really makes you think about exactly what Yahweh would be testing if all this crap WERE true, doesn't it? Christians (and Muslims) often say life is a test but what is being tested and why? Logically, tests are made to separate one group for another, so that the preferable group can be selected. The way a test is structured tells you something about what the tester is searching for.

When I test perspective technician trainees, the tests involve manual dexterity and are structured to separate the deft from the butterfingered. That tells you something about what the job involves and what I as an employer am looking for. You might guess rightly that the job involves intricate craftsmanship and fine attention to detail.

So what's Yahweh looking for and why?

The test,put bluntly, is all about gullibility. The boot-licking, mindless, sycophantic mortals who'll be amoral enough to serve and kiss the ass of a sadistic tormentor just for their own selfish gains are more likely to pass the test. What role are they supposed to play that their god needs to weed out the critical thinkers and those who have principles and self-esteem?

The answers evoke the speculations of Hitchens that Heaven is like a celestial North Korea.

We obviously don't have the same perspective. A holy God lowering Himself to take on human form, even that of a servant, allowing His creation to torment and kill Him to save us is to me is a testament of the great lengths He went to save us.

(April 11, 2014 at 3:24 am)DarkHorse Wrote: The 'signs of the time' have always been around. You can bend the signs to mean anything you want it to mean. Wake up and smell the coffee, it's time to open up those sleepy eyes.

My heart hurts most for you.

(April 10, 2014 at 11:46 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote:
(April 10, 2014 at 12:20 am)Revelation777 Wrote: Dear Sir,
It is true that the Scripture is filled with the supernatural. Well, we have a supernatural God. He has a timeline and He is following it to the "T". He is active, He sent His prophets, then His Son, and now we are in a time of faith. He even told the Jews that they look for a sign but all He would give them is the sign of Jonah. And He delivered, He rose again. He is given mankind this season to turn to Him. And just like in the days of Noah, when the period of grace is up, you will see the supernatural. The endtimes are at hand, the prophesies are being fulfilled in our day. Israel, just like the Bible predicted has be re-est in 1948. We are heading towards a one world, one monitary system, just like the Bible predicted. The man of sin is about to come on the scene. This world will be entering in a time of trial like it has never seen before. That is why I am sounding the alarm, time is running out.

Are you fucking kidding me?!? I've been hearing this shit for 45 fucking years and it's always "just around the corner." Worse, you christers have been spewing this shit for a couple thousand years and "his return" has always been imminent.

Matthew 16:28 "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

Two fucking THOUSAND years later and their prom date still hasn't shown up. Guess what. The holy zombie ain't gonna make it back. Hell, he was never here in the first place. If you want to believe he was, fine. If you want me to believe it you'll need to present some real, testable, verifiable evidence.

Evidence is the key!

Evidence or STFU!

And, you never answered my earlier question.
If a bastard can not enter the congregation of the lord (means he can't worship gawd) then how the did he allegedly manage it?!? Please don't try to tell me he was legitimate through Joseph. That's just plain bullshit! Nobody gets two real daddies. He was either the son of gawd and a bastard or the son of Joseph and no more holy than anyone else. Pick one, but only one.

Both God and man...The child that was conceived in her was of the Holy Spirit.

(April 11, 2014 at 10:57 am)Revelation777 Wrote:
(April 10, 2014 at 2:55 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: It really makes you think about exactly what Yahweh would be testing if all this crap WERE true, doesn't it? Christians (and Muslims) often say life is a test but what is being tested and why? Logically, tests are made to separate one group for another, so that the preferable group can be selected. The way a test is structured tells you something about what the tester is searching for.

When I test perspective technician trainees, the tests involve manual dexterity and are structured to separate the deft from the butterfingered. That tells you something about what the job involves and what I as an employer am looking for. You might guess rightly that the job involves intricate craftsmanship and fine attention to detail.

So what's Yahweh looking for and why?

The test,put bluntly, is all about gullibility. The boot-licking, mindless, sycophantic mortals who'll be amoral enough to serve and kiss the ass of a sadistic tormentor just for their own selfish gains are more likely to pass the test. What role are they supposed to play that their god needs to weed out the critical thinkers and those who have principles and self-esteem?

The answers evoke the speculations of Hitchens that Heaven is like a celestial North Korea.

We obviously don't have the same perspective. A holy God lowering Himself to take on human form, even that of a servant, allowing His creation to torment and kill Him to save us is to me is a testament of the great lengths He went to save us.

(April 11, 2014 at 3:24 am)DarkHorse Wrote: The 'signs of the time' have always been around. You can bend the signs to mean anything you want it to mean. Wake up and smell the coffee, it's time to open up those sleepy eyes.

My heart hurts most for you.

(April 10, 2014 at 11:46 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: Are you fucking kidding me?!? I've been hearing this shit for 45 fucking years and it's always "just around the corner." Worse, you christers have been spewing this shit for a couple thousand years and "his return" has always been imminent.

Matthew 16:28 "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

Two fucking THOUSAND years later and their prom date still hasn't shown up. Guess what. The holy zombie ain't gonna make it back. Hell, he was never here in the first place. If you want to believe he was, fine. If you want me to believe it you'll need to present some real, testable, verifiable evidence.

Evidence is the key!

Evidence or STFU!

And, you never answered my earlier question.
If a bastard can not enter the congregation of the lord (means he can't worship gawd) then how the did he allegedly manage it?!? Please don't try to tell me he was legitimate through Joseph. That's just plain bullshit! Nobody gets two real daddies. He was either the son of gawd and a bastard or the son of Joseph and no more holy than anyone else. Pick one, but only one.

Both God and man...The child that was conceived in her was of the Holy Spirit.

As far as imminence goes, I can't answer it better than the Bible. 2Pe 3:1 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:
2Pe 3:2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:
2Pe 3:3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
2Pe 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
2Pe 3:5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
2Pe 3:6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
2Pe 3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
2Pe 3:11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
2Pe 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
2Pe 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
2Pe 3:14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
2Pe 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
So close. So close! Ol' ADD Rev strikes again!

It strikes me, who are the idiots here? The guy who wanders around the board making inane platitudes and not engaging in any sort of discourse, or the 25 who follow him as he wanders from topic to topic vainly attempting to bait him into even the remotest semblance of intellectually honest debate? Maybe both?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(April 11, 2014 at 10:49 am)Revelation777 Wrote: Satan likes to replicate the Truth with impostors.

Which version of Satan are you talking about? Going by the Book of Job, Satan works for God.

Book Of Job - Prologue on earth and in heaven

Quote:The prologue on earth shows the righteous Job blessed with wealth and sons and daughters. The scene shifts to heaven, where God asks the satan (ha-satan, literally "the accuser") for his opinion of Job's piety. The satan answers that Job is pious only because God has blessed him; if God were to take away everything that Job had, then he would surely curse God. God gives the satan permission to take Job's wealth and children, but Job praises God: "Naked I came out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return: the Lord has given, and Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." God allows the satan to afflict his body with boils. Job sits in ashes; his wife prompts him to "curse God, and die," but Job answers: "Shall we receive good from God and shall not receive evil?"[9]

Job 1

Quote:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them.

7 And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

8 And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?

9 Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?

10 Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.

11 But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.

12 And the Lord said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
(April 11, 2014 at 11:15 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: So close. So close! Ol' ADD Rev strikes again!

It strikes me, who are the idiots here? The guy who wanders around the board making inane platitudes and not engaging in any sort of discourse, or the 25 who follow him as he wanders from topic to topic vainly attempting to bait him into even the remotest semblance of intellectually honest debate? Maybe both?

I know we'll never get anything resembling an intelligent remark from him. But he's a great poster-boy for atheism since he displays the shallowness and absurdity of christianity with every post he makes. So, being bored with my work duties at the moment, I'm having fun watching this idiot repeatedly make a fool of himself.
2 Peter is a fucking joke. By the time it was written, Jesus' alleged claim had already become a false prophecy and an embarrassment to the church. It's spin -- nothing more. That's bad enough, but to hear people trot out 2 Peter's dishonest goalpost shifting two millenia later is beyond pathetic.
(April 11, 2014 at 10:57 am)Revelation777 Wrote: 2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
I'm glad that you quoted the whole verse and not just the "thousand years as one day." In its full context, we are reminded that time means nothing to god, and therefore "soon" has no meaning to him. "The end is near" and "soon" mean something to humans, who live finite lives. To an infinite being it can mean tomorrow, and it can mean a billion years from now. So I ask again, why would you think the end is near?
Quote:2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
Just quoting for a bit of comedy; apparently thieves in Peter's time were rarely successful, based on the comparison in verse 10. Or perhaps he meant to say "arsonist."
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
The shit they smoked back then... I want some..
(April 11, 2014 at 10:42 am)Revelation777 Wrote:
(April 11, 2014 at 10:27 am)Stimbo Wrote: Easy - cue "Perhaps they never died" in 3... 2... 1...

would you allow me to cite a source with the answer?

Cite all the sources you want, but realize that if your sources are quotes from elsewhere in the bible that don't explain the verses I provided, that's merely you avoiding the question through redirection. It's dishonest.

To refresh your memory, the following is what I wish you could explain:

“For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds. Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.“ (Matthew 16: 27, 28)

Seems to me that Jesus is telling his audience that this event will happen within the Earthly lifetime of some of them. You tell us why Matthew 16: 27, 28 is not saying what it appears to me to be saying.
(April 11, 2014 at 10:54 am)Crossless1 Wrote:
(April 11, 2014 at 10:51 am)Revelation777 Wrote: If God said it

Yeah, that's kind of the point at issue, isn't it, you simpleton?

You can call me a simpleton as long as I am loved of the Lord. He loves you too! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Bet "Jesus" Is Real Proud of These Shits Minimalist 34 6403 December 4, 2018 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Which Jesus is real? Foxaèr 40 8545 August 9, 2017 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3171 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  lies, broken promises, racism : the real Jesus jenny1972 6 1990 November 4, 2015 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 114085 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 7699 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7390 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Mass grave discovered in an abandoned Catholic children's home. Esquilax 46 8959 June 11, 2014 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Vox
  Jesus Would Role Over In His Grave Cinjin 7 2389 April 19, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Confused Ape
  For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus Confused Ape 487 227891 May 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist