Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 5, 2024, 6:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Q about arguments for God's existence.
RE: Q about arguments for God's existence.
(July 1, 2014 at 6:54 pm)Lek Wrote: What I like about christianity is the unfolding of the faith through history and the continuity of the story of salvation passed along by many different authors. Then there's the fulfilled prophecies which predicted Jesus' coming.

Find a really clear prophesy in the Old Testament fulfilled in the New. Good luck. It's like reading horoscopes or worse. And the biggie, the virgin birth is an out and out lie.

In Isaiah, Christians translate the word "almah" as virgin although it really only means young girl of marriageable age. Hebrews has a perfectly good word meaning virgin: "bethulah". And "bethulah" is used elsewhere in Isaiah. You'd think if virginity were important Isaiah would use the word virgin.

Further the prophesy in Isaiah 7 concerns what will happen before the young woman's son reached the age of reason. The prophesy is fulfilled in King Ahaz's time, long, long before Jesus is born.

The best the apologists seem to come up with is the suggestion that the prophesy was really meant to be fulfilled multiple times. Really, that's it?

(July 1, 2014 at 6:54 pm)Lek Wrote: If we were making up a story about God, how many people would make him become a man, be humiliated, and be executed as a criminal?

The god who sacrifices himself, dies and comes back to life, was an ongoing theme in many religions predating Christianity in and around Egypt and Greece.

(July 1, 2014 at 6:54 pm)Lek Wrote: Like I've said previously, I have some doubts, like most people, but I've committed myself to following Christ. If I wait until I can remove all doubt from my mind, like an atheist would do, I'll never make the move. And there's too much to gain from my choice to follow God and too much too lose by waiting.

Understood. But without any belief at all you must see that there's nothing to gained by wasting the one life you have attempting to live on in heaven.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Lek, if you were an atheist, you'd never make what move? I don't get it.

You have nothing to lose by abandoning faith except the imaginary constructs you've created or allowed others to create. Letting that go is liberation. It allows you to become your own person and gives you the imminent desire to forge your own path, to form your own ideas given an objective analysis of the real world. Giving up superstition gives you everything (in reality) to gain, a life of free thought.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(July 1, 2014 at 11:46 pm)Jenny A Wrote: The god who sacrifices himself, dies and comes back to life, was an ongoing theme in many religions predating Christianity in and around Egypt and Greece.
And N. America....and S. America.....and N. Europe.....etc etc etc.
(I'd seem to recall an african sacrifical god as well - and would put money down that the far east has plenty of them - I'm just not familiar. Someone asked me to name a single one once - I just rattled off the listed names of the entire mesoamerican pantheon circa shortly before the collapse of the Aztec. So who would think it up, everybody - and sometimes they even think that -all of their gods- did all of the above.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 2, 2014 at 12:25 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Lek, if you were an atheist, you'd never make what move? I don't get it.

You have nothing to lose by abandoning faith except the imaginary constructs you've created or allowed others to create. Letting that go is liberation. It allows you to become your own person and gives you the imminent desire to forge your own path, to form your own ideas given an objective analysis of the real world. Giving up superstition gives you everything (in reality) to gain, a life of free thought.

Liberation: Best feeling ever. And still feeling it.
(July 1, 2014 at 6:54 pm)Lek Wrote: If we were making up a story about God, how many people would make him become a man, be humiliated, and be executed as a criminal?
The concept of the noble hero is a very popular one. To this day, people tend to highly favor any person who stands out for one reason (riches, athletic prowess, political success, etc) yet remains modest or humble. It was one of the defining characteristics of Superman, who was always a very popular character. Gods are the ultimate super-hero, so it's no surprise that people would write stories about how they allowed themselves to be humbled... right before returning to their sky castle in their position as the most powerful being to ever exist, ready to return in his invincible spirit form to deal out justice to those who wronged him.

How humiliated does he sound now?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(July 2, 2014 at 6:02 am)Tonus Wrote: The concept of the noble hero is a very popular one. To this day, people tend to highly favor any person who stands out for one reason (riches, athletic prowess, political success, etc) yet remains modest or humble. It was one of the defining characteristics of Superman, who was always a very popular character.

Luke Skywalker destroyed the Death Star and was pivotal in the deaths of Vader and the Emperor which brought down the whole Galactic Empire. Not too shabby for a lowly farm boy from the arse end of nowhere.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

I agree it doesn't seem to make sense given the Jewish Messianic context.

However, look at it another way. Jesus was believed to be the Messiah ready to save the Jews from the Roman oppression. Yet, he died without managing to achieve this prediction. So the early Christians had to come up with something to continue to cling to hope. Thus, the resurrection and then the later idea that Jesus was God who came to this world in the flesh to die for our sins and be resurrected after doing so. The salvation, rather than physical, became a spiritual one from sin (rather than from the Romans).
(July 2, 2014 at 12:25 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Lek, if you were an atheist, you'd never make what move? I don't get it.

I say Thor is the real god and not the christian god. Can anyone prove it's a lie?
ROFLOL
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 2, 2014 at 7:08 am)Irrational Wrote:

I agree it doesn't seem to make sense given the Jewish Messianic context.

However, look at it another way. Jesus was believed to be the Messiah ready to save the Jews from the Roman oppression. Yet, he died without managing to achieve this prediction. So the early Christians had to come up with something to continue to cling to hope. Thus, the resurrection and then the later idea that Jesus was God who came to this world in the flesh to die for our sins and be resurrected after doing so. The salvation, rather than physical, became a spiritual one from sin (rather than from the Romans).

There are a hundred different theories one can come up with that better explain the data we possess from the early Christians, all of which are FAR more plausible than the Zombie Jesus Hypothesis. For one, we have a gazillion other religions to consider, numerous within our lifetimes, and it's patently obvious: people are very gullible. We know the first converts were generally illiterate and poor, and politically powerless. There's a pretty good motive for transferring one's life project from the polis, the city-state--which would have been considered a way of salvation--onto the timid individual. The idea of man-gods was adopted by Christians, perhaps Jesus himself (though more likely Paul) as a way of marketing strictly Jewish concepts to a Gentile crowd, and clearly it worked. Not to mention, if we take the New Testament seriously, resurrections were more common than earthquakes.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(July 2, 2014 at 9:40 am)blackout94 Wrote: I say Thor is the real god and not the christian god. Can anyone prove it's a lie?
ROFLOL
More importantly, why would I want to? Liquor and battleaxes for all my men!
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4853 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 11824 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Quantum Physics Proves God’s Existence blue grey brain 15 2016 January 2, 2019 at 11:08 pm
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3546 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 7345 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  So can god end his own existence? Vast Vision 53 14649 July 27, 2017 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16938 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23920 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 9112 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  What self-subsists, maximum or minimal existence? Mystic 19 2318 March 16, 2017 at 2:51 am
Last Post: masterofpuppets