Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2024, 7:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Abortion is morally wrong
RE: Abortion is morally wrong
(July 18, 2014 at 12:31 am)Polaris Wrote: What if a life that is aborted could have gone on to help cure cancer or even help just one person live a better life?
What if a life that is aborted could have gone on to cause the deaths of millions or even make just one person's life a complete misery?

That's why the 'what if's' don't help. In the phase-space of 'possible humans', only a tiny proportion will ever get the chance of life, even if there were no abortions. If we start using 'what if' arguments to drive our legislation, we find ourselves having to give serious consideration to ridiculous propositions (e.g. birthing every egg & sperm that exist or making periods illegal).
Sum ergo sum
(July 18, 2014 at 12:38 am)Rhythm Wrote: More often, the "un-aborted" go on to be criminals. It's a confluence of class and opportunity. Meh.

I'm one of the un-aborted (my mom was just 17). She had a very hard life, and I have some minor social issues. However, I think I'm a productive and happy member of society.

That being said, if I hadn't been born, I wouldn't know it, and she would probably have waited and married better, so hmmm. . .
(July 18, 2014 at 12:31 am)Polaris Wrote: I do hold abortion for non-medically necessary reasons to be morally wrong the same as I do for war and executions. We should not have the right to determine who lives or who dies. What if a life that is aborted could have gone on to help cure cancer or even help just one person live a better life?

What if that all those loads you've blown onto a napkin could have grown up to bring world peace? or do sperm not count? Mr. Cherry-picker.

What a random reason anyway, what is the likelihood that any human cures cancer, yeah, not very high you fucking genius.
If the hypothetical idea of an afterlife means more to you than the objectively true reality we all share, then you deserve no respect.
Is a discussion about abortion without female participants a fair one?
-processing-
(July 18, 2014 at 10:09 am)Baqal Wrote: Is a discussion about abortion without female participants a fair one?
-processing-
A discussion can be legit as long as people know what they're talking about. Just like I'm white and I defend black people's rights, I've discussed them without the presence of black people.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 18, 2014 at 10:09 am)Baqal Wrote: Is a discussion about abortion without female participants a fair one?
-processing-

That's kind of a silly argument. It's like when one defends gay rights and someone calls that someone a faggot. No, anyone can defend someone elses rights.
If the hypothetical idea of an afterlife means more to you than the objectively true reality we all share, then you deserve no respect.
(July 18, 2014 at 9:28 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(July 18, 2014 at 12:38 am)Rhythm Wrote: More often, the "un-aborted" go on to be criminals. It's a confluence of class and opportunity. Meh.

I'm one of the un-aborted (my mom was just 17). She had a very hard life, and I have some minor social issues. However, I think I'm a productive and happy member of society.

That being said, if I hadn't been born, I wouldn't know it, and she would probably have waited and married better, so hmmm. . .

It's not exactly a sentence set in stone, just a persistent correlation between legalized abortion and crime rates (the correlation being that in states with legalized abortion crime rates dropped in a way that then correlates to the lack thereof in states that hadn't legalized abortion - all of this before Roe v Wade - though the correlation persists with regards to the various limits on abortions state by state after Roe v Wade - the possible cause of that correlation is intuitively simple to grasp. There are fewer poverty stricken males to commit crimes when said males have a higher chance of never having been born to their poverty stricken mothers).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
@Godslayer
-That's kind of a silly argument.
It's not for a man that fights for human rights in general but feels that he's not obligated to talk about abortion because he's not a woman. Yet he defends homosexuals and blacks under racial abuse.
So, under his logic, you need to be a woman to have a fair talk on abortion, but you don't have to be gay to defend the rights of the homosexual population, and you also don't need to be black to defend the rights of blacks.
How wrong can he be?
(July 18, 2014 at 12:31 am)Polaris Wrote: I do hold abortion for non-medically necessary reasons to be morally wrong the same as I do for war and executions. We should not have the right to determine who lives or who dies. What if a life that is aborted could have gone on to help cure cancer or even help just one person live a better life?

Are you wiling to have women who state they intend to abort confined and observed to ensure they don't do anything to prevent their pregnancy from coming to term? Prosecute them for conspiracy to commit murder? Have miscarriages investigated as possible homicides?
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Whats a 'moral'? I mean the supposition is that there are certain universal 'laws' such as morals that are absolute and any action (or thought) that violates them are 'wrong'. Makes no sense. I suppose animals have morals as well. NOT. We are just evolved animals. The only law or constant is chaos.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 5258 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 2401 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  After birth abortion? Mystical 109 11435 August 19, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  What is wrong with FW? Little Rik 126 18435 August 17, 2018 at 4:10 am
  God does not determine right and wrong Alexmahone 134 18923 February 12, 2018 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2293 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Abortion -cpr on the fetus? answer-is-42 153 18899 July 5, 2015 at 12:50 am
  What is wrong with this premise? Heywood 112 21928 February 21, 2015 at 3:34 am
  The foundations of William L. Craigs "science" proven wrong? Arthur Dent 5 1405 July 25, 2014 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  "God has morally sufficient reasons for permitting evil" Freedom of thought 58 19124 December 27, 2013 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought